E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth mystery in my E90

01-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
keidejw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i 2008

Bluetooth mystery in my E90

I have a 08 328 (bought used) without idrive or assist. I was convinced that Bluetooth was not present and was looking into possible retrofit options. When I looked in the trunk to verify harness was present, I discovered that indeed a MULF2 bluetooth module was mounted and connected. I'm extremely confused, since the dealer told me that the bluetooth was not installed in this vehicle without BMW assist option. I cannot get the system to enter any kind of pairing mode. Is there a chance that dealer can interrogate software to determine the ultimate configuration of the system? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
keidejw
Registered
Rep

The following picture shows the box found in my trunk when I was looking for the bluetooth prep. It looks to me like the bluetooth module. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

This is the MULF2 module for the USB/IPOD and it does have Bluetooth built-in but not activated for the US market. Unless you use a different Euro wiring harness and find someone to code it outside the dealer, it is not possible to use the Bluetooth functionality. You're better off to retrofit a TCU and FZD (do a search or look at the sickies on top of this forum).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
keidejw
Registered
Rep

Thanks

Thanks. That makes sense--I do have the IPOD/USB option on the car. The bluetooth symbol on the box got my hopes up that I had the necessary hardware to get the phone integrated. I'll research the retrofit, but the $ to get the BMW retrofit seem prohibitive. The dealer (Huntsville, Al) did not seem experienced with performing this service. Thanks for helping me on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

You're welcome. Check the for sale section, I'm considering selling the TCU and the FZD console that I was planning to retrofit mine with. However, since I have a 2009 I do not have the pre-wiring like you do so I have decided togo the mObridge route. If that's successful (will know within the next week), I will then sell the TCU and FZD.

GL,
Jim
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
You're welcome. Check the for sale section, I'm considering selling the TCU and the FZD console that I was planning to retrofit mine with. However, since I have a 2009 I do not have the pre-wiring like you do so I have decided togo the mObridge route. If that's successful (will know within the next week), I will then sell the TCU and FZD.

GL,
Jim
We've been offering the mObridge and Bluetooth/iPod combos for the past couple of years, assisting in development when the e9x applications were released. For the budget-conscious, mObridge just released a Bluetooth-only module for those not looking for iPod integration: http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2480

Both kits have the same Bluetooth features and can be upgraded via the integrated SD slot as new phones (500+ within its database compared to BMW's 35) are released.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0