E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Clayed, polished etc

12-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Clayed, polished etc

Jesus, done this for the first time (with clay) and I\'m knackered. Done the whole wash, clay, polish, gloss all surfaces dressed, glass cleaned, vacced etc. Respect to all of you that do this pretty often, I won\'t be doing this again for a long time. Too dark for pics!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

What products did you use? I need mine done badly.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
worthless without pics!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
It's a lot of work, but if you do it like once every odd month at a minimum it makes all the washes in between a doddle, and also stops tar etc sticking to the paint as easily so the next time you go to clay/wax/polish etc it's much quicker
      12-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
What products did you use? I need mine done badly.
All Autoglym, some of which I've had in the garage for a few years! Clay Bar, Rapid Detailer, Tyre Dressing, Clean Wheels, Ultra Deep Shine, Extra Gloss Protection, Elbow grease
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
pjs
Colonel
Rep

just for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
worthless without pics!!!!

Will try for a better one tomorrow! Pisser is that the final extra gloss protection sits in all the tiny chips in the front bumper - there are loads of them that no show up whiite
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
It's a lot of work, but if you do it like once every odd month at a minimum it makes all the washes in between a doddle, and also stops tar etc sticking to the paint as easily so the next time you go to clay/wax/polish etc it's much quicker
I'd probably do that if I had the car from new and kept it away from the £5 car washes. But I didnt and I dont!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
wow!...very shiny indeed!....and well done! must be quite cold out there!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Looks good
      12-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Jesus, done this for the first time (with clay) and I\'m knackered. Done the whole wash, clay, polish, gloss all surfaces dressed, glass cleaned, vacced etc. Respect to all of you that do this pretty often, I won\'t be doing this again for a long time. Too dark for pics!
Good effort mate!!!

Is the before/after difference substantial?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
Reggie-g75
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Nice job.. Looks good under street lamp light which is a bugger for highlighting any swirls.. Not that I can see any on yours...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
FiremanLU706
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great job!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Looks smart Paul

Did similar myself with the M3 - since I moved house in May and been mad busy DIY'ing it has been very neglected in the car washing/detailing department, and has even visited a few hand car washes

I thought it was long overdue a decent clean so out came the pressure washer and snowfoam, etc. First a good blast with the washer to loosen things up a little. Then gave it a good coat of ValetPro PH Neutral snowfoam and sprayed the wheels with Bilberry Cleaner whilst I let the foam dwell. It then got another blast with the pressure washer and was already looking a lot cleaner - the foam had worked well and loosened a lot of the surface muck. Next was the second thick coat of snowfoam and agitated with a lambswool mitt before a final rinse off with the washer.

I used to live near a railway line and the car was always getting covered in contaminants and airborne particales such as iron which gradually eat into the paintwork and leave little rust type spots on the paint surface, so I had purchased a bottle of CarPro Iron-X but never got round to using it so read the instructions and gave it a trial! Iron X opens up the paint's pores to release ferrous particles and to neutralize caustic compounds that have developed in the paint's subsurface. Ongoing damage is immediately stopped and future damage is prevented by removing the ferrous particles. Iron X sprays on as a thick, transparent liquid and as the cleansing liquid begins to work into the dirt and grime, the formula begins to turn purple/ red. The purple/red coloration is the Iron X Cleaner forming a bond to the sintered iron on the car paint and wheel and changing its state to a water soluble complex for easy removal. As soon as I sprayed the front wing it was apparant my car was covered as the about a hundred purple spots appeared! After a few minutes they all removed easily with a microfibre towel and made the job a lot easier than claying. I did the whole car and it made an especially good job of the side skirts and lower rear bumper sections where tar spots and road film really stick and show up lots on a white car.

All this left the paint wax free, so I finished up treating it to a coat of Meg's Carnuba Wax before a final spray with Meg's quik Detailer. Tyres were treated to some Meg's gold class tyre Gel.

Seats were cleaned with AutoGlym leather cleaner and the dash/plastics cleaned with matt finish el cheapo spray which actually brought them up a treat. Carpets were then hoovered and mats foamed and cleaned!

Car is now so clean I don't want to drive it and like Paul, by the time I finished it was dark so didnt get chance to take any pics

The neighbour went out and played a round of golf and couldn't believe I was still at it when he returned - they must think I am nuts ha ha!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #14
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
I'd probably do that if I had the car from new and kept it away from the £5 car washes. But I didnt and I dont!
I take mine to the Afhghans for £5 or the Albanians for £6.

I've never waxed/clayed/polished it since it was new, mainly because I think a poor job is worse than no job. Is there a "how to" guide somewhere?
Appreciate 0