Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Oh God I damaged my wheel with metal brush and some rough sandpaper....damn!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

Oh God I damaged my wheel with metal brush and some rough sandpaper....damn!

so basically, wheels bmw 230 style, I wanted some cheap fix for my curbed alloys, and front turned out nice as I only brushed it with some fine sandpaper, and even tho there are marks on the edges, it is still ok, considering I used only black spray paint.
but back I decided to be little more aggressive with those sctarched edges, so i brushed it with some metal brush and there are hair deep scratches from it and it's all over the place. I also made some bumps and tears on this wheel as I tried to put thick coat so it will level all the scratches, but it turned out real bad....

any tip on how to fix it?

I might make a pic tomorrow so you can have an idea what it looks like...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Either get them refinished at a place that actually knows what they're doing, or sand/blast the wheel until it's bare and start over.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
KingdomWarrior
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Try sanding it down smooth then shape some bondo to it. Let it dry, sand it again smooth. Tape off whatever needs to be and spray paint the wheels again. Spray about 3-4 coats, letting each coat dry in between. Apply 2-3 coats of clear doing the same method.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdiesel View Post
so basically, wheels bmw 230 style, I wanted some cheap fix for my curbed alloys, and front turned out nice as I only brushed it with some fine sandpaper, and even tho there are marks on the edges, it is still ok, considering I used only black spray paint.
but back I decided to be little more aggressive with those sctarched edges, so i brushed it with some metal brush and there are hair deep scratches from it and it's all over the place. I also made some bumps and tears on this wheel as I tried to put thick coat so it will level all the scratches, but it turned out real bad....

any tip on how to fix it?

I might make a pic tomorrow so you can have an idea what it looks like...
Without pics it did not happen!
      09-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

I would sand it down and apply a couple coats of primer, then sand with 1000 grid and then repaint.
Appreciate 0