E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Noob Tuning Question

09-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
BlueHen335d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Noob Tuning Question

If I get a tune from one tuner and then later decide to go with a different vendor's tune, are there any complications in doing so, as far as the flashing procedure itself is concerned?

For instance, can the second vendor flash an already flashed DDE, or does the DDE have to be put back to the stock tune by the first vendor before the second vendor can flash it?

Thanks in advance. I am new to BMW world, after many years in VWs.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Hmm, thats an interesting question. I'm guessing that it wouldnt be an issue though. I cant imagine a tuner would modify the software to prevent other tunes from being flashed.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #3
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Before i had my car mapped i read the original software and inspected the graphs.

After the tune i was able to read the new map but it was protected meaning i couldn't see what was changed.

However i could flash new map over the protected one.

The only restriction is to the map, not the method getting map into module.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

The normal process of my tuner is to first go put latest BMW flash on DDE. Then he puts his stuff in. No chance of interaction with anything that was there prior. I’ve had great success with JR Auto process.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
BlueHen335d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
The normal process of my tuner is to first go put latest BMW flash on DDE. Then he puts his stuff in. No chance of interaction with anything that was there prior. I’ve had great success with JR Auto process.
Without getting into specific tuner names, the one I'm choosing for my delete is being chosen because the particular person I'm going to for the work uses them exclusively. For obvious reasons, the installer and the tuner both explicitly state the tune is for off-road use and will not pass readiness.

I have to go back two years from now to my state's DMV for the OBD2 plug-in. If the tune sets readiness, I'm good to go. If not, I'll need to switch to a tune that sets readiness.

I'm just trying to make sure I won't have a problem going from one aftermarket tune to another. As long as an aftermarket tune can be overwritten without issue, other than the wasted money, I'm good with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Switching from one tune supplier to another will fully rewrite the EEPROM. There shouldnt be anything lingering.

I wouldn't want one supplier modifying anothers tune and I doubt they would anyways. There have been accusations of some small no name individual tuners stealing tunes and then reselling them as their own so one must assume that there are ways to get the tunes off the DDEs and modify them yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
BlueHen335d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
Switching from one tune supplier to another will fully rewrite the EEPROM. There shouldnt be anything lingering.

I wouldn't want one supplier modifying anothers tune and I doubt they would anyways. There have been accusations of some small no name individual tuners stealing tunes and then reselling them as their own so one must assume that there are ways to get the tunes off the DDEs and modify them yourself.
Thanks for the info. I have no intention of stealing any tunes. I just want to pass OBD2 inspection.

So it sounds like our DDE can be overwritten with a new tune at any time. That's all I'm concerned with.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

You didn't say which state. Depending on how they do their obd test some testers reset the readiness to see if they actually reset or are just perm ready. If they do this they fail you.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

some vendors put epoxy over the computer where they hook up to flash a new tune. they do that to prevent someone else flashing a tune over a pervious tune and mainly prevent someone from copying their tune.

if they do that to your DDE it has been said if you want to change tunes you contact them and they will send you an unmodified DDE with your stock tune on it. i am sure it will cost a few bucks to get a stock one back.
Appreciate 0