E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 6FL-USB Annoying with Flash Drives

06-14-2007, 03:02 AM   #1
AlanIOW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible

6FL-USB Annoying with Flash Drives

Hi

I am using the 6FL option with a Non iDrive standard audio system and 4Gb usb flash drives with WMA files. I find that the files play perfectly, but when using the Random setting, the system plays the same tracks in the same order whenever I start up the engine. If I briefly turn off the engine the track that was playing plays from where it left off, but if its longer than a few minutes it starts playing from the same track each time, then plays in the same order.

I find this very annoying:mad: and makes the usb option useless with flash drives as I have hundreds of tracks on the drives, but in two weeks I have heard the same tracks about 10 times. Obviously I can scroll through to an unheard track, but this is a pain to do everytime you start up!!

I have tried tracks in Artist Folders and not in any folder [Root] with the same result.

Has anyone else had the same problem or found a workround?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
GTownUDM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I'm curious where do you select "random" for playing this drive? Isn't that normally a function of the player itself? Heck don't IPODs do the same thing???
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
AlanIOW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTownUDM View Post
I'm curious where do you select "random" for playing this drive? Isn't that normally a function of the player itself? Heck don't IPODs do the same thing???
You select random on the buttons under the display on the standard CD/radio when in USB mode. From memory they go LIST - DIR - ART - ALB - TRACK - RAND from left to right.

Random, however seems to be a set sequence of tracks, which is useless especially since the sequence starts again if you switch off for more than a few minutes.

I don't own an iPod, I know they have a Shuffle setting, does this always play in the same order each time you switch on?

The random setting on my old E46 with an Alpine 6CD/MP3 Changer was genuinely random for each CD. I have not tried MP3 or WMA CD's yet on the E93, but at the moment I am thinking the 6FL usb option is a complete waste of money!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanIOW View Post
I don't own an iPod, I know they have a Shuffle setting, does this always play in the same order each time you switch on?
At least when used with playlists it always continues from where you left off (and this is true whether you use the iPod by itself, with 6FL and Y-cable or go from one to the other). I have a large playlist that has most of my songs on it. So it theoretically won't repeat a song until you go through the entire list and that seems to be the way it has worked for me for over a month.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
GTownUDM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanIOW View Post
You select random on the buttons under the display on the standard CD/radio when in USB mode. From memory they go LIST - DIR - ART - ALB - TRACK - RAND from left to right.

Random, however seems to be a set sequence of tracks, which is useless especially since the sequence starts again if you switch off for more than a few minutes.

The random setting on my old E46 with an Alpine 6CD/MP3 Changer was genuinely random for each CD. I have not tried MP3 or WMA CD's yet on the E93, but at the moment I am thinking the 6FL usb option is a complete waste of money!!
Ok, this is the non I-drive radio ? I don't have those buttons. I have my IPOD attached, I haven't tried just a thumb drive yet to see what I get for it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
AlanIOW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Here are the buttons I am talking about to control the USB drive

On further investigation I find if I don't use the random setting with the flash drive it does start from where it left off when I restart. So if I want to use random I have to turn the random setting off before shutting down or the bloody thing starts the same old sequence yet again!!

Its a work around but surely this cannot be what BMW intended, also why is random just a set sequence and not random - again it can't be difficult to program a true random even cheapo £10 mp3 players have random!!

I have another gripe, if I select "LIST" it plays the list correctly, but when you turn on again after stopping you have to select LIST again as the little tick has gone so you cannot seem to leave it alone and it needs user input both before and after shutting down.

Come on BMW this seems to be the least thought out piece of software ever, £205 or $400 is not cheap for a £5 usb port, so it should work better than this. We in the UK don't even get the iPod cable for our £205 so it is obviously supposed to work with Flash drives!!

Rant over
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
web1b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

I noticed that USB resumes the last playing track if I turn the car off for a minute, but plays a track from another folder if I turn the car off for several minutes.
I saw this thread, so I checked to see if the car was set to random like the person above.
It is not on random. Tracks play in order, when the car is on but I still have the problem of the wrong track playing when the car is restarted.

Is this an issue with all the cars or can it be fixed under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
lookin4e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: P car F car

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b View Post
I noticed that USB resumes the last playing track if I turn the car off for a minute, but plays a track from another folder if I turn the car off for several minutes.
I saw this thread, so I checked to see if the car was set to random like the person above.
It is not on random. Tracks play in order, when the car is on but I still have the problem of the wrong track playing when the car is restarted.

Is this an issue with all the cars or can it be fixed under warranty?

Bringing it one back from the grave. I have the same issue and been searching. I find that after the car's been turned off for a while, the audio will play the very first alphabetical order song on the usb drive. anyway to get around that and just have the audio pick up where it left off?
Appreciate 0