E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > OEM Brake Pads

11-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #23
andrew_b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_b View Post
Yep. I shopped around for quitre a bit and ended up putting everything together from Amazon (free shipping) and Turner for the parts I couldn't find on Amazon (rear pads, stainless steel lines).

But there is a great deal on a StopTech Sport Brake Kit with Drilled & Slotted Rotors at AutoAnything I found after I'd ordered everything. $706 for drilled/slotted Stoptech rotors, stoptech street performance pads, stainless steel lines. Free shipping. And they may still have the 15% off sale going on, which got it down to around $600. An excellent deal.

The stuff I put together:
Centric 125.34080 Rear Brake Rotor - $64.60 ea

Centric 125.34093 Front Brake Rotor - $79.18 ea

StopTech 309.09180 Street Performance Front Brake Pad - $73.13

Rear pads from Turner - $66.95
StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines - $129

The Stoptech kit seems high when you can get Centric slotted and drill rotors for $75 a piece plus pads for $78 thats $225 an axle before the SS lines which add another $130 for a total of $350 before a 15% discount

this rotor the 125.34093 Have you installed it? Is it coated and painted (like black in center)

I used the 125.34079 for my e90 rear and love them

I also used the Hawk HPS pads and like the highly top chart good reviews low dust and pricing $78 shipped for front
You can see the rotors in the link earlier - but yes, they are painted black on the hub and the edges. The 125 prefix are also the High Carbon version, which are a step up above the performance rotors in the Centric line. Found the Centric figment catalog online, looks like the first three digits are the "line", the last are the model.

Have them but have not installed yet. They seem nicely made.

2007 E93 N54
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
andrew_b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
might want to search the forums.... your honestly the first post in years to claim the factory pads are low dusting.... you sure your car isn't used and had an aftermarket pad installed when purchased?
It was built in Germany to my specifications, so certainly not used. See above - another 2011 owner claiming the same thing. Whatever pads they threw on in Germany were fantastic.
I bet you got the new formulation pads on your car, and the dealer here in the states had the older ones.

I've heard the new OEM pad formulation doesn't dust hardly at all, and has the same feel as the old. I have the old - can't drive 100 feet without some dust on the wheels.

2007 E93 N54
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #25
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_b View Post
I bet you got the new formulation pads on your car, and the dealer here in the states had the older ones.

I've heard the new OEM pad formulation doesn't dust hardly at all, and has the same feel as the old. I have the old - can't drive 100 feet without some dust on the wheels.
I've heard rumors about these new pads and every time I heard people complain about dusting I thought to myself I must have the new pads.

My SA knows nothing about the "new" pads. I think he needs to do more research on this new pad with a different composition because (and I know I am preaching to hte choir here) but these old pads are TERRIBLE.

If anyone has more specific information related to the newer composition pads please share and I will pass it along to my SA with the hopes of getting the right pads.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #26
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Due to a warped (slightly) rotor I got a set of slotted and drilled rotors, ceramic powerstop pads. $210 later
Installed them maybe a month later since I was so busy fixing my kids cars and doing things around the house.
Brakes feel great, usually I would re clean the car after 2 days from the previous cleaning due to the front rims being black. I used the rims as an indicator of when to clean the car again. Now after a week it still is clean. If there's any dirt or dust on it, you can hardly see it at all. I'm happy about that.
For those that cannot go aftermarket for warranty reasons, all i can say is there is no OEM ceramic pads that BMW make. These cars are notorious for the dirty fronts from the OEM brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #27
Freelo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i (sold)

I have a 2011 e90 and have zero dust. I can go a month without worrying about dust. I was told that the 2011 cars have a new pad formulation. The original OP must have had these same pads on his new car.

Suggest you go right back to the dealer and demand they replace them with the same new formulation pads. As someone else suggested, they clearly replaced your pads with older stock. The difference is not minor, it is night and day.
Koni sport shocks, BMW performance springs, M3 arms and sways front and rear, M3 subframe bushings, Velocity toe arms, M3 front strut bar, Cobb, ETS FMIC, Vishnu charge pipe, RPI scoops, M3 steering wheel, M3 carbon leather interior trim, Advan RS 18 inch wheels, Pilot sport tires
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #28
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelo View Post
I have a 2011 e90 and have zero dust. I can go a month without worrying about dust. I was told that the 2011 cars have a new pad formulation. The original OP must have had these same pads on his new car.

Suggest you go right back to the dealer and demand they replace them with the same new formulation pads. As someone else suggested, they clearly replaced your pads with older stock. The difference is not minor, it is night and day.
Night and day is right! I am going to email my SA and ask him t research it more.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the matter.
Appreciate 0