E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

01-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #243
arabbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

thanks a lot joyriide. If i was in Miami i would definitely just have you do it, your work is sick man.

You got any friends in the Los Angeles area that wont charge me an arm and a leg for a good detail. Pros are pros for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #244
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

No, I don't. check out autopia.org and make a thread looking for a detailer in your area (post it in the correct regional sub-forum). You'll definately get a few responses. After that, just search for the member's threads and posts and check out their work.

JOY
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #245
FaintReality
NoUSE4aName
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscosss View Post
Hey man, thanks a lot! received the Klasse kit today from Fedex.

I couldn't wait so just dusted my relatively clean car and "washed" it with a bucket of warm water and a cap of AIO. That thing is so easy! Then just AIO and later the Sealant high gloss. It works pretty good, I'm happy with the results. The only problem is that I don't wanna drive it anymore cuz it will get dirty

Tell me about it... I just got my car detailed yesterday and it rained about an hour later and all day today
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #246
franciscosss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Hey, I can't get rid of very fine scratches with the Klasse SG(I might have inflicted them by improper polishing{?}). I thought the one thing it did was getting rid of small scratches.

Anyhow, the Klasse SG makes the car shine like crazy but if fine scratches remain it's not so good...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #247
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113 View Post
Having it polished with something other than Zaino is fine. Just to a wipedownw ith a mix of alcohal and water 1:1 before you begin any of your zaino steps.

One thing I would highly suggest is making sure your friends dad knows what he is doing. JOY
+1. What Joy said.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #248
89andy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

I want to ask a question. I don't have a polishing machine and I don't plan to buy one anytime soon. So if I want to do a detail for my car, do I just do a wash > clay > seal thing? I don't have many swirl marks at all on my car as I followed the proper steps to washing the car before to avoid many swirl marks.
2007 E92 328xi sapphire black / black leatherette / step / premium / iDrive / sport seat / pdc / GP thunder angels / 35% tint / matte black grille / 6000k hid fog / 6000k D1S / led license plate / painted reflectors / m3 spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #249
89andy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

I would also like to know if it's possible to buy Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze @ Canadian tire?

Also since I'm not polishing the car, I heard I should buy a water spot remover? I heard of the CG Water Spot Remover from forum members, but I want to buy it locally instead. Any recommendation that I can buy at Canadian tire?
2007 E92 328xi sapphire black / black leatherette / step / premium / iDrive / sport seat / pdc / GP thunder angels / 35% tint / matte black grille / 6000k hid fog / 6000k D1S / led license plate / painted reflectors / m3 spoiler

Last edited by 89andy; 02-10-2008 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #250
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89andy View Post
I would also like to know if it's possible to buy Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze @ Canadian tire?

Also since I'm not polishing the car, I heard I should buy a water spot remover? I heard of the CG Water Spot Remover from forum members, but I want to buy it locally instead. Any recommendation that I can buy at Canadian tire?
Since you are in British Columbia, you can pick up high end products from a store called carcaresmart.com. They sell Klasse and other products. Unfortunately Canadian Tire does not sell Klasse or any water spot removers.

In terms of not machine polishing, sure, that sounds good. Wash, clay, and seal will work fine if that's all you're after.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #251
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscosss View Post
Hey, I can't get rid of very fine scratches with the Klasse SG(I might have inflicted them by improper polishing{?}). I thought the one thing it did was getting rid of small scratches.

Anyhow, the Klasse SG makes the car shine like crazy but if fine scratches remain it's not so good...
Klasse SG is a sealant only. You will need to use a polish and machine to remove scratches and swirl marks. It is possible you inflicted the scratches yourself when you were applying and removing the Klasse. Always make sure you are using quality MF towels and that the paint is completely clean before applying anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #252
Tommy420
peace.love.health.happine ss
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 Montego/Blk lthr

I wasn't able to find any recommendations for cleaning the interior of the car, i.e., the dashboard, aluminum brush trim, etc. Any suggestions?

For pics of my ride, go to www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108628
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #253
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy420 View Post
I wasn't able to find any recommendations for cleaning the interior of the car, i.e., the dashboard, aluminum brush trim, etc. Any suggestions?
I always use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe away dust from the interior plastics and trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #254
JasonP
Proud New Owner
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Sparkling Graphite 325i

Hi David, fantastic thread! A lot to digest but I think I'm ready to take the plunge and try it out this spring.

I just took delivery of an '06 325i, Sparkling Graphite. Now, I know the dealer said they did some cleaning/ detail work on it and I'm in the process of finding out exaclty what was done as I wouldn't want to over-polish the car. The car has been in service for 2.5 years and there are the usual minor scratches around door handles and trunk lid. Also, I noticed swirl marks for the first time last night under the moonlight and street lamps.

I am definitely leaning toward the Zaino products as I only want to do this one/ twice a year and durability is key. Given the imperfections I noticed and mild swirl marks, I assume I'll need the orbital, cutting pad (orange or yellow?) and a heavier polish? Just wanted to find out what's the best action to take in this case and of course if anything else should be done to address the minor scratches.

Thanks for your time and help!

Cheers,
J
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #255
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
Hi David, fantastic thread! A lot to digest but I think I'm ready to take the plunge and try it out this spring.

I just took delivery of an '06 325i, Sparkling Graphite. Now, I know the dealer said they did some cleaning/ detail work on it and I'm in the process of finding out exaclty what was done as I wouldn't want to over-polish the car. The car has been in service for 2.5 years and there are the usual minor scratches around door handles and trunk lid. Also, I noticed swirl marks for the first time last night under the moonlight and street lamps.

I am definitely leaning toward the Zaino products as I only want to do this one/ twice a year and durability is key. Given the imperfections I noticed and mild swirl marks, I assume I'll need the orbital, cutting pad (orange or yellow?) and a heavier polish? Just wanted to find out what's the best action to take in this case and of course if anything else should be done to address the minor scratches.

Thanks for your time and help!

Cheers,
J
Congrats on your new ride. I have no extra info to offer, to be honest. Just try to follow the guide. Start with the least aggressive pad and polish and see if it removes the swirls/scratches. If not, step up to something more aggressive. The Porter Cable 7424, Menzerna polishes, and Lake Country pads available from eShine.ca (Ontario based) will do the job. Zaino is a good choice for sealing the finish.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #256
JasonP
Proud New Owner
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Sparkling Graphite 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Congrats on your new ride. I have no extra info to offer, to be honest. Just try to follow the guide. Start with the least aggressive pad and polish and see if it removes the swirls/scratches. If not, step up to something more aggressive. The Porter Cable 7424, Menzerna polishes, and Lake Country pads available from eShine.ca (Ontario based) will do the job. Zaino is a good choice for sealing the finish.
Great, thanks for the info David! When stepping up to something more agressive, is it the yellow or orange Lake Country Pad?

Cheers,
J
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #257
Wilson01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Coupe

David,

I have a few quick questions for you. I've been studying your detailing tips hard. A few of my friends are using Wolfgangs Concours on their cars, with great results. I have a Space gray metallic car on the way. I was planning on washing, claying, and using their Polish Enhancer followed by their Sealant. Since it is new - I was going to apply both by hand with MF applicators. I was also planning on putting on 2-3 layers of sealant.

Am I on the right track here?
Do you have any experience or opinions with Wolfgangs products? Thanks
      04-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #258
canada_dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan, 2021 Tesla Y

Question Calgary ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Since you are in British Columbia, you can pick up high end products from a store called carcaresmart.com. They sell Klasse and other products. Unfortunately Canadian Tire does not sell Klasse or any water spot removers.

In terms of not machine polishing, sure, that sounds good. Wash, clay, and seal will work fine if that's all you're after.
What about Calgary Alberta ? Any local places here you would recommend?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #259
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
Hi David, I've been using the whole lines of Zaino products on my black BMW 3 series for over a year now and love the result of it. Recently, I have purchased a new Mercedes C class and have been told that the new Mercedes use NANO paint which is like a coat of ceramic protection on the car. My question is, is it safe to use Zaino on this kind of NANO paint? Would the result will be the same as the regular paint? Thank you.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #260
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
Great, thanks for the info David! When stepping up to something more agressive, is it the yellow or orange Lake Country Pad?

Cheers,
J
In order of aggressiveness from least to most it would go white, orange, yellow. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #261
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01 View Post
David,

I have a few quick questions for you. I've been studying your detailing tips hard. A few of my friends are using Wolfgangs Concours on their cars, with great results. I have a Space gray metallic car on the way. I was planning on washing, claying, and using their Polish Enhancer followed by their Sealant. Since it is new - I was going to apply both by hand with MF applicators. I was also planning on putting on 2-3 layers of sealant.

Am I on the right track here?
Do you have any experience or opinions with Wolfgangs products? Thanks
You are on the track. Wolfgang products are fine for use. They are not as durable as Zaino (only 2 months compared to Zaino's 9), but they are user friendly and look nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #262
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_dude View Post
What about Calgary Alberta ? Any local places here you would recommend?

Thanks!
No local places I know of in Calgary. You will have to order online from eshine or carcaresmart or a US site.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #263
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterng View Post
Hi David, I've been using the whole lines of Zaino products on my black BMW 3 series for over a year now and love the result of it. Recently, I have purchased a new Mercedes C class and have been told that the new Mercedes use NANO paint which is like a coat of ceramic protection on the car. My question is, is it safe to use Zaino on this kind of NANO paint? Would the result will be the same as the regular paint? Thank you.
Zaino is fine for Nano paint. It will work the same as on regular paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:57 AM   #264
Phila
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325xi

I just bought a bunch of zaino stuff, planning to do

ZAIO -> Z2 -> ZCS

but i forgot to buy Z6. Instead my kit comes with Z8. I know there were a few posts dampening the pad with Z6 makes applying ZAIO/Z2 much easier.

So my question is, can I use Z8 to dampen the pads, or do I need to get Z6? Are there any alternatives to Z6 (meguiar's QD?) in this usage? Thanks for your help.