E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Porscha! Rant.

07-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Porscha! Rant.

Can we all please refrain from making nasty comments about peoples cars on here, I am getting rather fed up with certain members attitudes towards older cars.

I will not make nasty comments about new cars (though I may have done in the past, well nothing I say that has been "nasty" I'd be rather upset to think I had offended anyone), infact I have grew to like them thanks to this place

Perhaps instead of being nasty you took the time to learn a little about older, less refined, yet very fun cars, you may start to appreciate them, like I have started to like new cars.

Fair enough in the past I have been funny about diesels, now I'm nothing but rather impressed by some of them Prejudice is just stupid.

Sometime in the near future I will more than likely be going for a new or nearly new car, for work, but not at the moment as I am seeing how business settles first

Just one final thing by all means have a laugh and a joke about old motors with me put a or a or a at the end of your sentence and I'll have a laugh and a joke back.

If you would rather I left, just say so.

Regards,
Porscha!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Porscha

At 19 years old I believe you have a healthy admiration for older cars. I am sure the average age of posters here are over ten years your senior and had some of the cars you refer to first time around.

I recently had my 39th birthday and appreciate 70's and 80's cars because I grew up with them and dreamed of owning them when I was older. Now older and wiser I would still like many of them but I am realistic that I need minimum fuss, minmum maintenance and maximum reliability. New car first time every time.

As for a second or third car for high days and holidays my list is endless.

Bottom line this is e90post forum and we have found ourselves here because our cars are no more than a few years old.

There are other forums which dedicate themselves to older car appreciation. Doesn't mean we can't appreciate them here but it's not our reason of being on this forum. That doesn't mean you can't input nor should it mean you leave. Maybe you should just hang back sometimes before posting your viewpoint and then not be attacked as you have been.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the advice, note taken

I was actually erm well kind of invited onto E90.......whether that is a good or bad thing I don't know!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Lighten up Porsha ... you must admit you do stick out on a BMW forum driving a mx5 ! ( ) ... no one wants rid of you

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #5
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Lighten up Porsha ... you must admit you do stick out on a BMW forum driving a mx5 ! ( ) ... no one wants rid of you
LOL! I can hardly believe that I'm on here actually myself, do have a BMW though not that it runs or anything

Probably gonna be an MG driver at the end of this weekend (is that worse or better?!) and won't be on here as much with time fixing it and reading about it and driving it and getting back into running 30-odd year old cars

Though MG drivers in the main are boring souls, I'm not but I tend to turn up to your meets .............

Decided I'd like to do Historic Rallies 'cos it give you an opportunity to sticker up you car and not look a total idiot

ETA - - 'Cos at my age you can't but be a little bit erm Max Power LOL!!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
CD
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Probably gonna be an MG driver at the end of this weekend (is that worse or better?!)
... no comment , someone else please answer that one ! ( )

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Probably gonna be an MG driver at the end of this weekend (is that worse or better?!)
Provided you are happy to coat yourself in motor oil, grow a straggly beard and have endless conversations about tappets it will be better.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Reckon even you will have trouble fitting inside that one!!!!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Provided you are happy to coat yourself in motor oil, grow a straggly beard and have endless conversations about tappets it will be better.
No I'll be a bella little classic car driver, I have the hired help for sorting most stuff out

Now cleaned the '5 up and it actually looks OK, don't even know whether to get rid or not now Dilema.... dilema!

The car is excellent to drive, if it wasn't a Japanese car from the nineties (well just, it's a 1990) I wouldn't want to get rid, it's just not interesting and I see about a thousand others every single day

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
No I'll be a bella little classic car driver, I have the hired help for sorting most stuff out

Now cleaned the '5 up and it actually looks OK, don't even know whether to get rid or not now Dilema.... dilema!

The car is excellent to drive, if it wasn't a Japanese car from the nineties (well just, it's a 1990) I wouldn't want to get rid, it's just not interesting and I see about a thousand others every single day
I sort of understand why you are thinking about the swap. The MX5 isn't old enough or rare enough to be a proper classic.

It's easily the best small RWD car in existence though and the other options just won't be as rewarding to drive.

Now .. do you want a car that people look at or one that drives well?

I'd love an MX5, the only thing stopping me buying one for £5k ish is that I want to wait and get an Elise.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Porscha, I am sure you will not object to some 'motherly', well intentioned advice. So, when is a car forum not a car forum. When it is not used for it's original purpose. Well, that is a legal matter, which for now is a side issue.

E90 post is a predominately 'male' orientated forum, many of whom are older. Some will no doubt, come on here to escape the other half and be who they want/wish to be. The majority I believe are probably normal men. Some of course are not. One will always get the schoolboy pranks of passing notes around the class room - irony being this is actually very empowering and asserts much control to the fairer sex. Shocking for some but streuth no way! Picture the faces. Indeed, I have discovered that men can 'pen' some very risque and romantic literature. Lord Byron watch out!

Point being you are the next generation which for the most part is positive, no way at your age would I have joined a car forum such as this. I applaud young women and how they do and go where they want. However as much as you have the right to voice your opinion, others also have that right. Traditionally, this has created informed debates. There always comes a point when there is actually no point in continuing the debate ie. if comments are perceived to be irksome. They can simply be treated with the contempt they so richly deserve.

I for one admire and share your enthusiasm for all things automotive but I have been on the sharp end of some male inadequacies over the years, which ultimately only serve to compound ones existing opinions about a minority. On the whole, I believe most on here are normal, decent, self confident guys. Tbh, I have not read anything that could be construed as 'bad' per se. Besides, I have always believed unless it is said to your face Porscha, it 'aint worth worrying about. After all, it takes 'balls' to face up to someone.

Enjoy the forum and be yourself.

My rant over.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I sort of understand why you are thinking about the swap. The MX5 isn't old enough or rare enough to be a proper classic.

It's easily the best small RWD car in existence though and the other options just won't be as rewarding to drive.

Now .. do you want a car that people look at or one that drives well?

I'd love an MX5, the only thing stopping me buying one for £5k ish is that I want to wait and get an Elise.
Lots to think about, you've gave me a little list to work from thanks

My old MG was great, I didn't think it handled too badly, really, and I enjoyed driving it, when I bought it in average condition is was OK when I sold it, well I got enough to buy a tatty 911 SC targa, not bad really.

I don't have a "romantic" view of Classic Cars, in the main I know they are hard work but simple enough to do a lot of jobs yourself

Why not buy a £1.5K MX5, if you'd like one, it'll be a Mk. 1 too which are the original and best As much as I like the Elise, I wouldn't go for one myself, again each to their own!!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Porscha, I am sure you will not object to some 'motherly', well intentioned advice. So, when is a car forum not a car forum. When it is not used for it's original purpose. Well, that is a legal matter, which for now is a side issue.

E90 post is a predominately 'male' orientated forum, many of whom are older. Some will no doubt, come on here to escape the other half and be who they want/wish to be. The majority I believe are probably normal men. Some of course are not. One will always get the schoolboy pranks of passing notes around the class room - irony being this is actually very empowering and asserts much control to the fairer sex. Shocking for some but streuth no way! Picture the faces. Indeed, I have discovered that men can 'pen' some very risque and romantic literature. Lord Byron watch out!

Point being you are the next generation which for the most part is positive, no way at your age would I have joined a car forum such as this. I applaud young women and how they do and go where they want. However as much as you have the right to voice your opinion, others also have that right. Traditionally, this has created informed debates. There always comes a point when there is actually no point in continuing the debate ie. if comments are perceived to be irksome. They can simply be treated with the contempt they so richly deserve.

I for one admire and share your enthusiasm for all things automotive but I have been on the sharp end of some male inadequacies over the years, which ultimately only serve to compound ones existing opinions about a minority. On the whole, I believe most on here are normal, decent, self confident guys. Tbh, I have not read anything that could be construed as 'bad' per se. Besides, I have always believed unless it is said to your face Porscha, it 'aint worth worrying about. After all, it takes 'balls' to face up to someone.

Enjoy the forum and be yourself.

My rant over.
Thankyou for the advice

Now you have the best car out of all of us on here, shouldn't you be out driving?

Hope you still have the Porsche bug

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

the porsche bug is eternal

I owned one, and plan on owning several more in my life.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
the porsche bug is eternal

I owned one, and plan on owning several more in my life.

Wayhey, we have someone who talks sense!

What Porsche did you own? I've had three (911SC, 944 and Boxster S) and cannot wait to get my next one (looks a couple of years off ATM )

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #16
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Now you have the best car out of all of us on here, shouldn't you be out driving?
This does not warrant a reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
lol UK forums are full of drama. u guys need to legalize Mary J
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Wayhey, we have someone who talks sense!

What Porsche did you own? I've had three (911SC, 944 and Boxster S) and cannot wait to get my next one (looks a couple of years off ATM )
Ive owned a grey market 944 here (got lucky with the 167hp engine, not the detuned american 150 here...euro bumpers, speedo was in km/h), and I owned a Turbo for all of 2 weeks...was taking it to the shop to get the timing belt done when it jumped, and bent all the valves.

I was only 18 at the time, I had spent all my hard earned summer money to buy that car (about $9,000 US) and I had nothing left to spend on to get it fixed after the belt broke.

I sold the car as is for $2500.

Fast forward 3 years, I actually ended up working for the shop that used to fix my Porsche..now I work on flat-sixes all day long

My latest insanity I just finished working on was a 1980 SC that is gutted out, still has power windows and full glass, bolt in cage with two buckets...and a monster 3.8L we built sitting behind you Car made 360whp and 350ft/lbs, Haltech install and wiring all done by yours truly. I got some pics somewhere at home on the computer.

I raced a 335 with the car (he was being an ass on the highway and thumbed my nose and gave me the finger) so I downshifted and almost ran into his rear bumper in a heartbeat.

The craziest thing in the shop now would either be a tossup between the Boxster S with the 997S 3.8 swap (stupid fast) or the 1991 964 Turbo S (in that weird Porsche Metallic Bright Green that they offered to you Europeans only) that we converted to twin turbo, and it made 640hp on the dyno last time at 14lbs of boost before the turbos crapped out....bad units
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #19
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sounds wonderful, great projects

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #20
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
The craziest thing in the shop now would either be a tossup between the Boxster S with the 997S 3.8 swap (stupid fast)
How involved is the swap and what sort of figures are you seeing from the car ?

The Boxster weighs about the same as a 996 GT3 II and the 997S engine has the same output as that car aswell but TBH when I drove one the straight line speed was a real let down.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #21
CD
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
lol UK forums are full of drama. u guys need to legalize Mary J
well umm no ... becasue then we would all be driving round cars with wierd paint jobs ( check his garage )

noubt wrong with that by the way mantis, but surely a perfect example of the effect of 'mary'

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #22
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
well umm no ... becasue then we would all be driving round cars with wierd paint jobs ( check his garage )

noubt wrong with that by the way mantis, but surely a perfect example of the effect of 'mary'

CD, I think it would go well with your new wheels.

Appreciate 0