E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BSW + JL Audio XD600/6

07-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #1
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
BSW + JL Audio XD600/6

First I just want to mention I am far from an audio expert. I will do my best to share what I found wrong with the stock hifi system and what I found to be an improvement.
I just wanted to make this thread to review the BavSound Speakers paired with the JL Audio XD600/6. There are tons of threads covering both so I'm not going to into too much detail but i'll try and answer all the questions I had about both the speakers, amp and settings. I have a E92 Coupe With HiFi 676, I usually only listen to music through aux/Bluetooth Adapter and occasionally radio.

Stock HifI
First I'll share what the standard 676 HiFi Audio sounds like to me since everyone hears sound differently. IMO the HiFi audio sounds pretty bad. Compared to other vehicles base audio option our HiFi system is awful. The highs seems to be the most powerful but still not very good. the mids are acceptable but in comparison to the highs it needs some more volume and clarity. The lows are decent only at lower volumes. once you get passed about half volume it gets really muddy and just sounds terrible.

Hifi W/ Trunk Sub
I then added a sub so I could try and take some of the stress off the lower end of the system. it did help but there was still the issue of not enough volume along with the amount of distortion at the higher volumes.

BSW With Hifi Amp
After browsing through the Audio Upgrade thread I noticed almost all of the recommended speaker replacements were discontinued. There were only a few companies that still make speakers that were direct fit without modifications. in the end I decided to go with BavSound for the simple fact that they replaced all speakers (I opted out of the ghost woofer) and that they are direct replacement speakers requiring no modifications.
Now using the BSW speakers with the factory amp was definitely an improvement. unfortunately there was still the issue of the highs overpowering everything else and not enough volume (Max volume on Stock Hifi speakers and BSW speakers was loud enough but not clear). I believe since I was still using the stock woofers the mid and low bass was still muddy at higher volumes but it was acceptable at medium to low.

BSW W/ JL XD600/6
Currently BSW paired with JL XD600/6 was absolutely perfect. I followed the settings everyone recommends to use with the stock hifi speakers. Minimum gain on front and rear speakers and at the 10 o'clock position for the woofers. I listened to a few songs without the subwoofer connected and I was blown away. The sounds was perfect everything was balanced and worked in harmony with each other. Highs were crystal clear and mids were nice and crisp. even the factory woofers were nice and punchy. I felt like I didn't have the need for a Subwoofer after listening to this setup. The overall volume nearly doubled. It does clip at max volume but two clicks down and everything sounds beautiful still (I don't listen to music that loud but it definitely has a lot more volume now). I am comfortable using about half volume now but like I said there is tons more if every needed.

In the future I'm thinking of exploring an Infinite Baffle setup. I've grown to appreciate the SQ the 10w6 has to offer but I'm not too thrilled about the added weight and loss of trunk space I have. With the BSW paired with the XD600/6 I don't think I need that much more low end bass but I know I will at least need something to help play the occasional low frequency notes.

Pictures can be added if needed. Due to the amount of threads that have covered all of these separately I didn't see the need to add any.
      07-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Try a JL 10" TW1 or TW3 you're not going to notice the difference audibly, and it allows for a smaller box footprint.

I have a JL MicroSub to demo and that thing is pretty small with the right amount of base. If you're thinking infinite baffle already, then consider one of these as a base premise for your system. The final aesthetic is up to you.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Im still looking into it. I currently have my rear seats taken out and I wanted to also use the IB setup to close off the trunk again since I removed the seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DameJ.M3 View Post
Im still looking into it. I currently have my rear seats taken out and I wanted to also use the IB setup to close off the trunk again since I removed the seats.
http://www.jlaudio.com/marine-audio-...vers-mx-series

options....though it does depend what you're looking for. Yes, that says marine.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Lazardm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Interlagos Blue M3

I second adding a tw1 or tw3 sub. Infinite baffle likely you will give up putting seats down if you ever need something bigger in the trunk. The box on the thin line JL's is tiny.
I think that is the route I'm going. Minimal weight and space. If I need more space just take out. I rarely need the trunk
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazardm3 View Post
I second adding a tw1 or tw3 sub. Infinite baffle likely you will give up putting seats down if you ever need something bigger in the trunk. The box on the thin line JL's is tiny.
I think that is the route I'm going. Minimal weight and space. If I need more space just take out. I rarely need the trunk
Rear seats have been removed actually. I'm going to be throwing in a half cage soon so I'm perfectly fine with constructing an enclosure to complete the rear seat delete.