E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Event - Track Day at Brands Hatch! :D

06-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP / R56 JCW

BMW Event - Track Day at Brands Hatch! :D

Wednesday 23rd June..

Me and Fiazaan were invited to come along to Brands Hatch BMW Ultimate Drive Day by Sytner Harold Wood's Sales Manager Laurence Bennett.

Outside was the new 5 series estate! Looks very nice in my opinion

Next to it was the Performance 335I. Had all the performance bits on, look fantastic!!

The day consisted for four main activities:

MINI Handling Activity

This offers you the opportunity to experience the handling characteristics and ‘go kart’ feel of the MINI.

BMW X Product Off-Road

Put a BMW X Product through its paces on a specially designed off-road course and experience the capabilities first hand.

M3 Track Drive

Exhilarating high speed driving with one to one instruction in our fleet of M3 race cars with the added excitement of a high-speed passenger lap at the end of the session.

BMW Track Drive

During your session on the track, you will get an exclusive chance to drive a selection of BMW Product with individual tuition.

To start, We were welcomed in to the hall where breakfast was served and we were given a briefing of how the day will go. Everyone was put into 4 groups of around 20 people as there are 4 events. Our first event was the Mini challenge. Its pretty simple, but great fun! You have to take one of the John Works Mini's, drive round the cones, go round in a figure of eight then brake to a stop at a certain point. Everyone gets 3 goes and the best time is used for a small competition in which who ever gets the fastest lap wins a prise at the end of the day!

After this, we walked over to the off-road course were we get to experiance the x5 and its capabilities off-roading...

Half the group went out in the X5's while half waited for them to come back to swap over. Meanwhile there was a quick challenge for the people waiting. There was a formula 1 car there where we got to learn/practice how to change the wheel. We had to be paired for this. Once person takes of the nut, then the next person removes and replaces the wheel. Then first person puts back the nut. This was a timed activity. Me and Fiazaan done it in just over 5 seconds. Which wasnt bad as the best was just below 4 seconds

I must say, the new X5 is superb!! As i was telling Fiazaan - i really did not think that much of the X5 until i actually drove it off-road. We drove the X540D which is the replacement of the X535D i believe. But both are 3.0ltr. Car has good torque, perfect for handling the rough terrain. There were two really good features on this car which were the Auto Handbrake and this other feature (cant remember the name lol) which when you are going steeply downhill you release your foot of all pedals, hold back the cruise control and the car then brings you down at a rate of approx 4mph. It does this by taping each discs brake slightly to prevent the car from dropping down fast or to slide to a side. The auto handbrake is perfect for going up-hill..once you release your foot of the pedals it automatically applies the handbrake to prevent the car rolling back! The X5 really was just awesome, great car to drive and i enjoyed the experience

Fiazaan in the X5

Me in the X5

After the off-roading in the X5 it was time for Lunch, so we went back indoors. There was a presentation from the BMW Ambassador and triple World Touring Car Champion, Andy Priaulx.

After Lunch our group went down to the track for the M3 track drive where everyone was taken for a lap round in the M3. Now i must admit, them drivers are insane!! After the lap, we swapped over and was our turn to drive the M3 around the track for a few laps. In these few laps, I learnt so much about track driving...overtaking, when to brake, turn, accelarate etc etc...

The M3s were full stock, except for having a roll cage and back seats removed.

Roger from Sytner Harold Wood - He is also a member of the forum here was lucky enough to get a ride in with Andy Priaulx in the 320si WTCC race car.

Roger ready for his ride...Looked like he just won the lottery!

Preparing for the car to go onto the track..

Roger going in for an exhilarating high speed passenger lap!

More pics of the 320si WTCC race car.

Full of carbon Fibre!

This Mini was incredible! The sound of this car made the M3's sound quite This was a proper stripped out version for racing. Had slick tyres, coilovers, and running negative camber. That massive diffuser and wing looks the part of this

Got a ride in the mini...totally breath taking, turning at incredibly high speeds. Handling was spot on in this car, really grips the road - exactly like a go-kart! I really loved this little car!

After that..we moved onto the BMW range, were there was a wide range of BMW cars to test drive around the track.

I took the M6 around the track for a few laps. This was a frozen Grey M6, the interior was black leather with white stitching, and the dash was also leather with stitching - very nice interior. For some reason i did not enjoy this car that much?? I dont know why? maybe I expected much much more from the M6 in comparison with the M3? It was DCT one, but was very jerky on gear changes...However...it could just be me as im sure its an awesome car

I did really really love the new 5 series!! The one i drove was the 535I. This has to be the smoothest ride I have ever driven..very comfortable and would make a great everyday car. Much better than the current 3 and previous 5 series. Interior is also greatly improved from the previous 5 series, much classier and better quality build.

But one of the cars i really enjoyed driving was the new Z4...what a car!! The front of the car is slightly long..but the sound of that car superb...probably because your sitting just behind the exhaust lol It was the Z4 35i Msport.

Wish i took more pics of the range of cars, but i was to busy enjoying driving them

That was the end of the events, so we headed back indoors. England match was on by then so most people where hooked on!

A really really big thanks to Laurence Bennett for making this all happen and inviting us to what was such a great day out, and I enjoyed every bit of it!! I know Fiazaan did too!
      06-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Wafik, bet that was an amazing day! You jammy sod!

Your pictures are great mate!

Well done
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Great pics and write up

Perhaps Laurence could organise a Forum day out
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

You lucky Git! looks like you had fun! I wouldn't mind driving the X5 off road to see what its like. The thing that controls the decent is called 'Hill decent control' which like you said you use the cruise control stalk to control the speed of the decent very clever.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902717 View Post
You lucky Git! looks like you had fun! I wouldn't mind driving the X5 off road to see what its like. The thing that controls the decent is called 'Hill decent control' which like you said you use the cruise control stalk to control the speed of the decent very clever.
Thats the one! Its very clever, car does all the work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Great pics and write up

Perhaps Laurence could organise a Forum day out
Thanks mate, Might organise a meet up at the dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Wafik, bet that was an amazing day! You jammy sod!

Your pictures are great mate!

Well done
Thanks Marcus, It was just awesome! I want to go again already
      06-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

That looks like one great day out, way to go. Did a similar day with Ford but not a patch on this
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

If carlsberg did freebies....
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
ddogg35
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 318i

Garage List
paddock hill bend is intense, looks like fun!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
What a day out!!!! Jammy git!!

looks spot on - the reason the m6 gearbox was jerky compared to the m3, is that it is an SMG gearbox, nowhere near as refined as the M3's DCT (double clutch), especially when coupled up to over 550hp!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

I did the same thing at Thruxton last week, still haven't put my pics up. I did a couple of laps in the stripped out mini. I drove the M6 and over it, but loved the X6M more........

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddogg35 View Post
paddock hill bend is intense, looks like fun!!!
Yes, paddock hill bend is intense, i swear i could feel my organs all moving up you sink into the chair! very fun though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
What a day out!!!! Jammy git!!

looks spot on - the reason the m6 gearbox was jerky compared to the m3, is that it is an SMG gearbox, nowhere near as refined as the M3's DCT (double clutch), especially when coupled up to over 550hp!!
Ah right, yes SMG gearbox, not DCT. M3 gearbox is so much more refined, big diference...
      06-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I did the same thing at Thruxton last week, still haven't put my pics up. I did a couple of laps in the stripped out mini. I drove the M6 and over it, but loved the X6M more........
X6M is a beast...i love it more too! I really love the X6M
      07-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Harold Wood
Chopperphoto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Loadsabimmers

Brands Hatch

Sorry mate I have only just picked up on your post, what a fantastic day it was. Your review of the day is brilliant as are the pictures , as you said in your post many thanks to Laurence Bennet of Sytner BMW Harold Wood for his kind invitation !
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

WAFIK are you old enough to drive
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Mike Turbo
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Very nice pics!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #16
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
WAFIK are you old enough to drive
just made it
      07-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #17
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.. Faizaan called me and filled me into the amazing driving!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

ffs you sod!

I want I want I want!!!

Looks awesome waf