E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M3 STOLEN from BHX NCP Long Stay 1 Airport Carpark

06-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
roundthebend
Rep
Drives: M3 '08 Coupe

M3 STOLEN from BHX NCP Long Stay 1 Airport Carpark

Just had my 08, M3 coupe stolen from NCP BHX Long Stay 1 on 04/06/2011. Only CCTV from NCP, shows grey audi with stolen VW plates and my M3 tailgating out and headed towards Coventry.

Didn't prebook, got all keys, no duplicate requests, vehicle was targeted in THIS carpark and gone less than 48 hours after parking -notified from home 2nd day of hols.

No tracker, but that wouldn't have prevent them from nicking it. Astonished by the lax of security, this isn't Asda carpark, but inside the perimeters of one of the main airports in the UK. I assumed there would be CCTV coverage everywhere, especially in the light of heightened awareness since Bin Laden's killing. Also massive police station adjacent to this carpark.

This car park has Park Mark Safety Achievement, high, fenced enclosure, CCTV and regular patrols. All these security features are ineffective when the barrier gate allowed thieves to tailgate and get a stolen vehicle out. The ANPR at NCP checks the registration and will flag up non-payment at the exit barrier, therefore as the police officer explained, the cctv concentrates on the location of the registration plates and they have no image of the occupants.

Response from NCP, sorry for the 'inconvenience' read our T&C - this is a public place, we don't refer to our carpark as 'secure' and you leave you car at your own risk.

This car park hold 5,100 vehicles, first time I've parked here. If your vehicle is still there upon your return it's likely the thieves don't actually want your vehicle rather than the security at this car park.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
wza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe SE

That is shit, sorry to hear that, hope insurance company sorts everything out for you quickly. Can't believe the low level of security at an airport. I hate car parks.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Pandamonia
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 320D 220Bhp

how do you steal an M3? i thought modern cars were so hard to steel?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Candy 01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonia View Post
how do you steal an M3? i thought modern cars were so hard to steel?
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
roundthebend
Rep

Apparently not, if you read the link dated May '09 from a guy in Birmingham.

Read somewhere that the X5 has been top of the UK's most stolen car in the UK for last 2 years, with M3 coming third. Depressing news and explains why insurance companies are now insisting on trackers. A lot of these thefts are due to the thieves dishonestly obtaining the keys, but the knowledge of stealing these vehicles without the keys is becoming more widespread.

I live in an area with high car crime, but mostly 'smash and grab' scrotes that don't have the knowledge, perhaps brains either, but they need links and a network of criminal organisations that can break or export vehicles. Don't mean any offence to anyone, but read lots of posts about organised rings operating in that area as well as other hotspots within UK.

These cars are a marvel of high tech machinery and shocked to discover what they are doing. It's like finding how someone does a card trick and you realise that it's actually not very hard. The knowledge is already out there in the criminal world and we need to educated ourselves.

Unfortunately, I found out that my car can be stolen without it's keys because it's happened. This proves no one can rely soley on the car manufacturers electronic anti-theft devices and as other people been saying, we should be using mechanical ones as well. Won't prevent theft if they want your car, but makes it more difficult.

Read this forum post:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=263890:
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Very sorry to hear this, how long have you had your car, are you the first owner?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Really sorry to hear that

I was reading this the other day as well: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13787442

The motor industry says it is winning the war against car thieves, thanks to advances in security features.

BBC transport correspondent Richard Scott says unless criminals can get their hands on the keys, new cars are all but impossible to steal.

Obviously it's a load of shite!

Concerning

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
roundthebend
Rep

Yes I have had this car from new, mint condition, less than 10k on the clock.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Shocking. Hope it turns out OK for you. Good luck getting it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Do you have GAP insurance or similar?

Hopefully you've got back to invoice cover through your insurance one way or the other. That way you can go pick up an 11 plate M3 instead. Might make you feel a little better.

If not: Even tougher luck.

A friend (Doc Matt on EvoTechnik) lost an M5 from the same carpark back in 08. Seems like it is still happening. Once again they took it without any access to keys, log book or anything else.
      06-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundthebend View Post
I just read the whole thread. WOW. Now I'm paranoid...

Sorry to hear about your loss mate. I'm sure it'll get sorted it very quickly! *fingers crossed*
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

My dad had his Holden targeted in that airport several years ago.
They tried pretty much everything to get it going, but failed - probably because the criminal underworld know less about rarer (and, ultimately, less desirable, cars).

In the end they decided to steal the front seats; this almost resulted in the car being written off, as they added nearly £9k to the total repair bill of somewhere slightly north of £15k (including a new steering wheel, which had been mis-shaped trying to defeat the factory steering lock).

What made things worse was TWR (who made and shipped the parts for the Hsv) had gone into receivership, meaning no parts were going out the door. In the end dad did a deal on a new car (the supercharged one) and let the dealership sweat the wait for parts.

Heart goes out to OP.
Fingers crossed the situation is resolved as painlessly as possible.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
sorry to hear this OP...Hope they burn in hell and their kids aswell...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
That's scary shit! Just read the whole post and watched the you tube clips. I am gonna be even more paranoid now!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

Quote:
Just had my 08, M3 coupe stolen from NCP BHX Long Stay 1 on 04/06/2011. Only CCTV from NCP, shows grey audi with stolen VW plates and my M3 tailgating out and headed towards Coventry.

Damn, that's terrible I know the feeling as I've had a car stolen in the past. Sorry about your luck, hopefully your insurance company helps you out quickly as mine did for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

How the hell can NCP call it a "public place" if they take money off you to park there?

Either they are charging for a service and have a duty of care, or they aren't?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
How the hell can NCP call it a "public place" if they take money off you to park there?

Either they are charging for a service and have a duty of care, or they aren't?
Apparently NCP have been sued many many times in the past over various parts of their terms and conditions but have never let the challenge ever get as far as the court room (they settled first).

Like most big companies, they are scared of actually being proven wrong.
      06-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Shocking that this can happen somewhere where you expect your car to be safe
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:

Didn't prebook, got all keys, no duplicate requests, vehicle was targeted in THIS carpark and gone less than 48 hours after parking -notified from home 2nd day of hols.

No tracker, but that wouldn't have prevent them from nicking it. Astonished by the lax of security, this isn't Asda carpark, but inside the perimeters of one of the main airports in the UK. I assumed there would be CCTV coverage everywhere, especially in the light of heightened awareness since Bin Laden's killing. Also massive police station adjacent to this carpark.

This car park has Park Mark Safety Achievement, high, fenced enclosure, CCTV and regular patrols. All these security features are ineffective when the barrier gate allowed thieves to tailgate and get a stolen vehicle out. The ANPR at NCP checks the registration and will flag up non-payment at the exit barrier, therefore as the police officer explained, the cctv concentrates on the location of the registration plates and they have no image of the occupants.

Response from NCP, sorry for the 'inconvenience' read our T&C - this is a public place, we don't refer to our carpark as 'secure' and you leave you car at your own risk.

This car park hold 5,100 vehicles, first time I've parked here. If your vehicle is still there upon your return it's likely the thieves don't actually want your vehicle rather than the security at this car park.
sure they havent hired it out? wouldnt be the first time!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #20
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
So sorry to hear this!
      06-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
ram33
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Only CCTV from NCP, shows grey audi with stolen VW plates

The ANPR at NCP checks the registration and will flag up non-payment at the exit barrier

if the anpr is checking the reg then why did it open for a car with stolen plates which couldnt have paid to get out as it was never there in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #22
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram33 View Post
Only CCTV from NCP, shows grey audi with stolen VW plates

The ANPR at NCP checks the registration and will flag up non-payment at the exit barrier

if the anpr is checking the reg then why did it open for a car with stolen plates which couldnt have paid to get out as it was never there in the first place?
That's what I was thinking.
I put my wrong reg in last week and had to then call the guys to let me in and again to let me out, and I had to give them the last digits on my card and find the booking reference.

I guess they just chipped up bought a ticket for the Audi then paid to get out and the M3 followed, if you stick close enough the barrier does not come down in case it is a trailer.

I was followed home in the CSL one night and that put me right off, I took a really weird route so they had to leave me as it was obvious they were following me, and then it happened again about 3 days later and decided that was enough, really put me off nice cars for a while.
Appreciate 0