E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Clogged n52 valve cover

05-30-2022, 10:41 PM   #1
jojojijijojo
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Clogged n52 valve cover

Hi guys,

After replacing my valve cover gasket on my n52, oil consumption went up a lot and the car rpm jumps up and down during startup for about 3 seconds before it revs high again and finally settle down. This occurs on every startup, no matter if hot or cold.

I figured I might have a clogged valve cover.

When removing it, I found oil in the back breather hose, this explains the high oil consumption.

In my attempt to unclog it, I pumped oil solvent into the back opening shown in this picture, and water started flowing the the other locations inside.

Does that mean that it is now successfully unclogged? Is there any other passage that might be blocked besides what's shown in the pictures? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 10:51 PM   #2
jojojijijojo
Private
Rep

Is the diaphragm passage connected with the above openings? Or is it separate? Anyone knows where the diaphragm passage goes if its not related to the above pictures?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
Watch_me
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

You need to make sure that the CCV (diaphragm) is working correctly. A new one will hold vacuum if you attach vacuum pump at the nipple. Is oil filler cap hard to remove? You may also have issue with this diaphragm and need either hack-n-slash to get new one in there, or need new valve cover.
Going through this myself now and got some more details in thread I started.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:18 AM   #4
jojojijijojo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch_me View Post
You need to make sure that the CCV (diaphragm) is working correctly. A new one will hold vacuum if you attach vacuum pump at the nipple. Is oil filler cap hard to remove? You may also have issue with this diaphragm and need either hack-n-slash to get new one in there, or need new valve cover.
Going through this myself now and got some more details in thread I started.
Thanks, in fact I already replaced the diaphragm with a new one, it turned out the passages were a bit clogged. I removed the new diaphragm, and applied water pressure all the openings along with solvent. After that I let it dry I put everything back together and the issue is fixed. No more rough idle on startup.
Appreciate 0