E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Battery issue?? Or??

09-27-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
DirtyDieselDog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Battery issue?? Or??

2011 335d M sport. 114k miles
Battery will be 4 yrs old in December has 42k mikes on it

No issues this morn going to work
Go to leave and it doesnt even turnover or try
Everything works radio etc
With fob still inserted and car on about a min 90 sec later a battery icon comes on in the center screen in dash

Pulled the battery to bring home and it has a 42% charge
I also seem to recall i had issues registering it 4 yr ago, but not 100% sure.

Charger doesnt say bad, yet
This is AGM correct?

Sound like a battery or?
Just wierd that yesterday my wifes fusion hybrid 12v battery died.... what are the odds
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 04:59 AM   #2
DirtyDieselDog
Private
Rep

I got up this morning and the charger said bad battery. But it was at 100% i dont recall it sying it last night. We did lose power last night and also i could have swore the bad battery light was on the opposite side if the charger so i may have over looked it
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 09:09 AM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

You have an agm and you're using a normal charger? Honestly 4 years is good for a battery
Replace it before the colder season comes.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 02:42 PM   #4
DirtyDieselDog
Private
Rep

Im using the AGM setting on my normal charger

I charged it again. Bad battery didn't come on but when i hooked it up all That happened was the windshield wipers came on. So I guess that is that....

Can you register a non BMW battery like if I get one from Costco?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 02:58 PM   #5
vester86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D '08

sound like the previous battery in my car. i suspect it wasn’t coded when replaced by the previous owner. charged it noumerous times, would charge to 80% then over a couple days would drain to 30% and stayed there more or less. bought new battery, coded & registered it and now it’s holding charge (+/-85%) since installed.

on colder days, car would reset it’s time in the instrument cluster. also 2 or 3 times left me stuck on the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 09:10 AM   #6
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDieselDog View Post
Im using the AGM setting on my normal charger

I charged it again. Bad battery didn't come on but when i hooked it up all That happened was the windshield wipers came on. So I guess that is that....

Can you register a non BMW battery like if I get one from Costco?
Yes, just make sure the aH is the same or else you'll need to do some additional coding along with the battery registration.
      10-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Sounds very abrupt for a battery failure, to me. And I'd take the status assessments from the charger with a pinch of salt.

Have you checked all earth straps, and the cables from the battery box etc?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 02:18 PM   #8
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

In lead off post, OP asks if 335d come from Munich with AGM battery. My interpretation anyway. Answer is no. Not saying you can’t swap to AGM though. Battery should be clearly labeled as to whether flooded or AGM.
My 2011 335d had battery go bad years ago and dealer replaced for free with the larger group 49. I have since bought another group 49 when it got weak. So I’m on battery #3 over 12 yr life of car. Might almost be time again so I’ll go look at last one’s install date. This car sits is part of reason battery isn’t lasting. I use a smart charger periodically.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 09:29 AM   #9
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

My '09 came with a BMW branded AGM. Manufactured in March of '08.

BMW has been using AGM for years.
      11-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #10
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

Dirty,
First, Any time you have issues starting your car that you think are related to the battery, it is a good idea to clean the battery terminals and connectors. Get a battery brush and clean the terminals until they are shiny. The dull color of lead is lead oxide which is not a good conductor of electricity. Use a wire brush to clean the connectors on the battery cables until they are shiny. Then spray a battery terminal protective spray on the terminals and conductors prior to and after assemby. Then see if your starting problem went away.

When a battery is used the sulfuric acid in the battery reacts with the lead in the battery anode to form lead sulfate on the surface of the anode. During recharging, The chemical reaction is reversed and the lead sulfate reacts to form sulfuric acid again. However, Lead sulfate crystals form over time which reduces the surface area of the anode available to react and reduces the concentration of the sulfuric acid available to react also. This is called battery sulfation. Sulfation causes the battery to get weaker and weaker over time. The battery will put out less power for starting the engine so the engine will turn over slower. This process is slow and occurs over many months.

A sudden failure of a battery can be caused by several things. One is internal warping of the cells causing two plates to touch together causing internal shorting. This causes sudden loss of power of the battery.
A second sudden failure of a battery can be caused by a buildup of scale in the bottom of the battery. All batteries form scale on the lead plates that flake off and fall to the bottom of the battery. Manufacturers of batteries leave an empty area below the cells (plates) of a battery for scale to build up. If the scale builds up and touches the bottom of the plates it shorts out the call and causes a sudden loss of battery power.
Appreciate 0