E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New guy Delete and Tune

03-12-2023, 05:07 PM   #23
RebelDiesel
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

re: Tuning

Hey y'all,
I'm new to the forum as a member, but not as a visitor. Appreciate everyone on here for all of the info over the years that has helped me with my 2 335d's. The first one ate a timing chain, so she's just a parts car now. I am pulling the trigger on a full delete and tune very soon on my one that is in great shape. I'll be doing a full timing chain service while I'm in there. Don't try to talk me out of it... it's going down. lol

I have a question for everyone on here:
I know that there are strong opinions regarding tune sourcing (JR, Malone, etc.). I have heard nothing but fabulous things about BRR, but can't find contact info anywhere. Does anyone have any contact info? I'd love to get in touch with specifics about my project and see if I can get something put together. My goals here are basically a mix of power and reliability. I am intrigued by the things that Santjer has done, and would love to go whole hog and do hybrids, 100 over injectors, 2 x R70 pumps, etc. I'll be looking to go for a stage 2.8-2.9 for what I'm just going to call round one. Who knows what the future will hold after that.

If anyone may have some info on BRR contact, it would be much appreciated. Thank you everyone for being fanatical about the M57 vehicles. Your love is not misplaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 05:43 PM   #24
MidWillamette335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

This is what I gathered from my conversation with BRR, nearly 2 years ago. He only has 2 tunes, one for stock turbos and one for hybrids, and they're 1000.00 each, this might have changed since then however. Santjer bought the IP of the tunes apparently, so try to get a hold of him. Let us know how it works out...
      03-12-2023, 05:58 PM   #25
RebelDiesel
Rep

MidWillamette335d
Thank you. I'll give the folks over at Santjer a shout and see what they've got to say. I'll let y'all know what I hear.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 06:01 PM   #26
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Edit: MidWillamette335d answered this above.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 06:07 PM   #27
RebelDiesel
Rep

E85 Sport That does line up with what I've found digging around on old threads in here. Didn't know that he may have shut things down, though.

Don't want to open up too much of a can of worms here, but what are thoughts right now on best tunes for a full delete? Anyone care to chime in with current opinions? If the answer is to go back to old threads, happy to do so. Just looking for opinions in 2023.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 07:07 PM   #28
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDiesel704 View Post
what are thoughts right now on best tunes for a full delete? Anyone care to chime in with current opinions? If the answer is to go back to old threads, happy to do so. Just looking for opinions in 2023.
Folks usually praise whatever they bought. Few buy more than one tune to compare (cost prohibitive). Naturally, a boost in.. boost.. will feel faster and make a buyer happy. Therefore, most recommendations are subjective and based on limited data.

On this forum, I have not found any back-to-back comparisons of multiple tunes on a "control" vehicle. (If you find something, please share a link.)

On this forum, there is no consistent evidence indicating any of the popular tuners are particularly problematic - BRR, DudMD, JR Auto, Malone Tuning, RENNtech. There are anecdotal references to "somebody on Facebook had an engine failure with ______ tune" but I am not on Facebook and did not include those in my review. Maybe they are credible? I don't know. Engines can fail for a lot of reasons, especially when going for big power.

Avoid piggybacks like Burger Tuning's JB Diesel (JBD) box.

Hope this helps!

Edit: There are a growing number of new owners on this forum. Perhaps the cars have hit a point in depreciation that appeals to a new generation of owner? I am restoring a high mileage 335d and, like Jgoody, am not focused on max performance. My main goal is to have a reliable car for road trips, but I wouldn't be upset with a little boost in power.

Edit: Lots of consistently positive reviews, over the years, about adding a LSD rear differential. Handy for putting down big power.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 08:14 PM   #29
RebelDiesel
Rep

I'll keep doing my homework on the tunes and report back on what I come up with.

Sounds like we are in similar boats. My first priority is to always keep my cars in top shape, which means that I'm tackling a lot of standard maintenance. Don't see any point in having a BMW if you aren't going to take the time to take care of it. Leading up to the tune I am doing a laundry list of things including: timing chain service, all seals/ gaskets (not head gasket), all transmission seals, new solenoids, and trans tune, already did the fluidampr pulley and clutched alternator pulley, motor mounts, trans mounts. Also CBU cleaning, and, of course, the full delete will come next. I love these cars (clearly since one blew up on me and I immediately picked up another one. lol) and my goal is to have this one until it is a smoking hole in the ground. I do all of my own wrenching, and rather enjoy it.

I think my main concern with everything is a synergy with the delete and the tune resulting in (of course) more power and reliability. That's why I'm curious about others' experience with tunes. Fair comment that it is subjective and there are likely proponents and haters likely for any tune. I'll keep digging to find what I end up deciding will make the most sense.

LSD would certainly be on the list of things that I think 100% make sense when you start getting the power turned up. Seems that Quaife and Wavetrack are the bests options, but I'm sure there are strong opinions on that, too. I'll have to keep posting as this all comes together. I definitely have found mounds of inspiration from all of the work that everyone on this forum has done over the years. Only seems fair that I do my part now.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 09:21 PM   #30
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep

I too am doing a laundry list of maintenance in preparation for upgrades.

This is all new to me so I’m going slow and learning as I go.

I hope you’ll consider making a thread chronicling your project.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 12:34 PM   #31
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
And mid 13s in a 335d? That’s slow af. Must have a sutphin trans tune too. My x5d is faster than that.
Who gives a shyt? Probably an Android projection. Thought you said something about JR tunes blowing up? Kinda remember something of that nature out of you. You have ur little echo chamber there at Fuckbook™, sellin' crap whatever. Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 12:48 PM   #32
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Nope, but if you go on the facebook group you will see multiple examples of it.
You're full of shit. Are you sure you're not confusing DUDMD with JR? lol.
      03-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #33
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
Who gives a shyt? Thought you said something about JR tunes blowing up? Kinda remember something of that nature out of you. You have ur little echo chamber there at Fuckbook, sellin' crap whatever. Have fun.
Wow who shit in your coffee today? Lol. The Facebook group is mostly JR and malone fanboys so you’d fit in over there pumpkin.

If you want to actually make reliable power though BRR is the only one doing it. JR isn’t even a tuner, he sells the tune. Same thing with rod sutphin, he doesn’t even tune. You really think he’s better than xhp? Xhp is waaaay bigger them him and the shifts are much faster. You don’t need a different torque converter or upgraded valve body… the fasted 335d and x5d are all stock engine and transmission. It’s all just scamming. Rod had a triple turbo 335d but he thought he could tune it better and ended up sending a rod through the block AND it wasn’t even faster than the SPD triple turbo, maybe that’s why they call him Rod. But hey by all means do what you want, not my car, but you can find all the examples of these things on the facebook group and Rods videos are on youtube. All the information is there you just have to connect the dots.
      03-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #34
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85 Sport View Post
Control Panel > Edit Ignore List > type username > Add.
Gotcha.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 01:12 PM   #35
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
You're full of shit. Are you sure you're not confusing DUDMD with JR? lol.
Nope lol. Dudmd isn’t any better though
      03-13-2023, 01:18 PM   #36
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You really think he’s better than....
What I really think is you're you're some dickhead doing Fuckbook™ promotional shyt here, like I said, attracting people to ur little echo chamber.

Now keep sellin' whatever it is you're all worked up about...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 01:23 PM   #37
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nope lol. Dudmd isn’t any better though
LOL, fantastic opinion.
      03-13-2023, 01:24 PM   #38
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
What I really think is you're you're some dickhead doing Fuckbook™ promotional shyt here, like I said, attracting people to ur little echo chamber.

Now keep sellin' whatever it is you're all worked up about...
Lol so defensive. I’m not here to sell shit nor do I sell anything on “Fuckbook”. I’m just pointing people in the right direction. SPD doesn’t have to promote because anyone who wants to make real power and it be reliable will go to them. They don’t have to hide anything nor do they hide anything.
      03-13-2023, 01:31 PM   #39
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL, fantastic opinion.
Take it with a grain of salt. I’ve had a BRR from day one. I was one of the first with it on my 335d, so you can call me a fanboy. I was just lucky enough to get hooked up with him by DWR who’s no longer active on here. But please look everything up for yourself I’m not gonna convince you, but I’m saying all the info is right there if you wanna see it.
      03-13-2023, 06:16 PM   #40
RebelDiesel
Rep

Happy Monday,

Stoked to see everyone in such high spirits today.

Update from my end. Santjer is, in fact, the source for BRR tunes now. I had comms with him first thing this AM. Super nice and very responsive gentleman, as well. I'll be going in that direction for sure. He was kind enough to give me some other advice, which was much appreciated. If interested, that is the source for BRR tunes now. Many thanks to those who pointed me in that direction.

I'll fire up a new thread as I start digging in and getting it all put together.

Hope everyone has themselves a lovely evening.
Appreciate 1
RL18273.50
      03-13-2023, 06:50 PM   #41
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Take it with a grain of salt. I’ve had a BRR from day one. I was one of the first with it on my 335d, so you can call me a fanboy. I was just lucky enough to get hooked up with him by DWR who’s no longer active on here. But please look everything up for yourself I’m not gonna convince you, but I’m saying all the info is right there if you wanna see it.
I don't have to look up anything to know you're full of shit. Hence the reason I'm calling you out on it.
      03-14-2023, 06:02 AM   #42
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have to look up anything to know you're full of shit. Hence the reason I'm calling you out on it.
Lol

Fastest Jr fuel only ran a 117mph in the 1/4 mile. Fastest SPD fuel only ran a 125mph in the 1/4 mile. Jr isn’t even close and they can’t make power without nitrous or meth, then they go boom!

And if you include the triple turbo SPD 335d that went 139mph fuel only in the 1/4 mile
      03-14-2023, 10:35 AM   #43
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDiesel View Post
LSD would certainly be on the list of things that I think 100% make sense when you start getting the power turned up. Seems that Quaife and Wavetrack are the bests options, but I'm sure there are strong opinions on that, too. I'll have to keep posting as this all comes together. I definitely have found mounds [...]
If you wanna go fast in a straight line you don’t need to lsd, the stock e-diff will do just fine sorting the power and the gain wouldn’t be enough to make a big difference. If you plan on tracking or something with turning involved then by all means do an lsd, the e-diff gets whacky once you start going into turns aggressively.
      03-14-2023, 02:06 PM   #44
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lol

Fastest Jr fuel only ran a 117mph in the 1/4 mile. Fastest SPD/BRR fuel only ran a 125mph in the 1/4 mile. Jr isn’t even close and they can’t make power without nitrous or meth, then they go boom!

And if you include the triple turbo SPD 335d that went 139mph fuel only in the 1/4 mile
Are you moving the goal posts or are we still debating your claims about JR cars blowing up?

No one is debating that SPD has these things on lock, Matt is doing incredible work.

Stay on topic bud.