E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede Fuel Control

02-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm considering bumping up my redline by 100-200rpm. And maybe changing my idle speed to reduce some lightweight flywheel rattle. These things can only be done with flashes. ...
Shiv
Well, since you claim to be so knowledgeable, I can tell you right now that you can adjust idle via INPA and even on a completely stock car. Furthermore, there are at least 3 different idle settings that I've found so far: idle, idle with aircon on, idle with aircon on and in gear, idle while charging the battery...

Which setting do you plan on changing with your glorious piggyback if I may kindly ask?
      02-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #24
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
Shiv, how far are we from running a completely standalone engine management system like AEM?
My old "tuner" car (3000GT VR4) was good with stock ECU up until 550-600awhp, after that you had to get stand-alone because stock ECU could not handle larger injectors, higher redline, etc. Granted the car was designed in early 90's things were a little simpler back then.
Maybe in the mega HP (i.e., 1000+whp) builds, we'll start to see stand-alone computers that are capable of controlling DBW throttle. By that point, we are also looking a complete engine builds, custom intake manifolds, etc,. So fitting a stand-alone on a n54 probably won't even be the most difficult part of the project. But for realistic power levels, I don't think that option will ever be attractive since the stock DME does so many things so well- far better than even the best aftermarket stand-alone IMHO.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #25
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Well, since you claim to be so knowledgeable, I can tell you right now that you can adjust idle via INPA and even on a completely stock car. Furthermore, there are at least 3 different idle settings that I've found so far: idle, idle with aircon on, idle with aircon on and in gear, idle while charging the battery...

Which setting do you plan on changing with your glorious piggyback if I may kindly ask?
First, relax. Second, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I don't plan on using the Procede to control idle or raise the rev limit. So your accusatory statement really has no merit. Go have a drink and watch The Voice
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #26
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:
First, relax. Second, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I don't plan on using the Procede to control idle or raise the rev limit. So your accusatory statement really has no merit. Go have a drink and watch The Voice
I don't know why there is so much hate for you. I too sometimes feel that flash tuning is better. However, I have respect for you and what you are saying/doing. I can make up my own mind with what tune/tuning hardware I'm going to use without spreading hatred.

People should not judge your single turbo project so quickly since you are in the alpha stage. I'm happy that you took the time to build this project and to share a REAL dyno with REAL videos and REAL datalogs.

I wish you continued success.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #27
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List

On a serious note, I think some people like to argue theoretically. And that's fine. But they should know when to either stop or step it up and make things happen.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 02-12-2012 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #28
1faste903series
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

On a serious note, I think some people like to argue theoretically. And that's fine. But they should know when to either stop or step it up and make things happen.

Shiv they don't like you cause your blunt but so am I!They love to argue but haven't have the slightest clue what there saying .They get fustrated cause they can't win there arguments with you.Funny also these company's had a single turbo coming out for years and you played them all.lol

I'm not a fan of piggys but you have mastered them and the guy is a poineer for the n54's.Seem's like everything you do some other guy short for(fast food king )seems to copy you after the research I have done.I still Think a flash will always react fastest and there's some things a piggy can't do that a flash can do to some extent .

Last edited by 1faste903series; 02-12-2012 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #29
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Why are we even arguing flash vs. piggy on this subject?

It's Shiv's kit, obviously he will use his tune. If a flash tuner comes out with a single turbo map someday we can start discussing each option's merits and weaknesses, but until then let's try to stay positive.

Until then, it seems to me that the Procede is more than capable of running this kit and I'm sure we'll see some pretty cool stuff in the next few weeks. I get sick of wading through the mud to find the cool updates
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

This place never ceases to amaze me. I'm glad the piggyback haters are so quick to point out their next round of "shortcomings" once the fueling issues have been disproven.

I'm not saying that the Procede is God's gift to the N54, that's obviously reserved for the flash tunes. Simply changing the idle speeds is merely the factory engineers allowing you to change the idle speed. Hardly what I'd call inroads into full controllability. Shiv already acknowledges the limitations of what his devices can do. If everyone else were so honest with themselves, there'd be a whole lot more respect around here.
      02-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #31
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
The ability to tune factory tables will not likely be in place. More likely, you will be tuning "interpretations" of factory tables. Let's be honest here. There are hundreds of tables, most of which the tuners don't understand or feel comfortable editing. They make selective edits until they think they get a positive outcome. Without a road map, does this sound like a text book tuning approach?

We have the ability to read/write the MSD80/81. But after seeing all the round-about mapping tricks required to simply run a desired boost target, the idea of tuning a complete system wasn't realistic. Especially since we can achieve same or better effects with the Procede but with no chance of incurring the wraith of a misplaced bit or unforeseen inter-table relationship/dependancy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm considering bumping up my redline by 100-200rpm. And maybe changing my idle speed to reduce some lightweight flywheel rattle. These things can only be done with flashes. But in terms of the fun stuff, I'm a firm believer doing what works and what I'm comfortable with. Not to mention I value full integration when it comes to things like stand alone boost control and meth control. Stacking tunes/electronics is good example. It works, sure. But NEVER as well or as safely as an integrated solution. In the end, you are left with functionality gaps that could have been avoided.

Shiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post

Your lack of reading comprehension and no attention to detail really makes you look foolish. Why is it you must constantly attack Vishnu in every thread?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #32
Stanky19
Friends don't let friends early apex!
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Turbo Schnitzel"

Garage List
2007 E92 335I  [0.00]
Well Done Shiv...... I believe a wise man once said, "If you have haters that means your doing something right!"

Keep up the trailblazing, My 335 might be a future canidate. Kao, I'm coming......
      02-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #33
ZBMW
Black Forest Bimmerphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Shiv, you've probably answered this somewhere before but I missed it, I'm sure.
When you run these fantastic numbers the AFR is way richer than stoichiometric.
I understand that makes everything cooler but do you risk detonation downstream, like in the muffler?
Also, at some point do you intend to edge the mix back closer to stoichiometric as you tune and, if so, will it result in greater VE. Or, is the mix something needed to maintain safer operation?
I keep looking at the AFR and thinking that's got to be wasted power going out the rear.

Last edited by ZBMW; 02-13-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #34
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBMW View Post
Shiv, you've probably answered this somewhere before but I missed it, I'm sure.
When you run these fantastic numbers the AFR is way richer than stochastic.
I understand that makes everything cooler but do you risk detonation downstream, like in the muffler?
Also, at some point do you intend to edge the mix back closer to stochastic as you tune and, if so, will it result in greater VE. Or, is the mix something needed to maintain safer operation?
I keep looking at the AFR and thinking that's got to be wasted power going out the rear.
it's conservatively tuned at the moment...once Procede boost control is implemented the fine tuning can begin!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #35
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

These engines do not seem to need such rich numbers, Shiv was merely taking a "safe" path on its first runs. It also proved the point that the Procede can in fact fuel down into the 10:1 range. That is about as rich as a wideband will accurately read, anyway.

Several professional tuners that I've spoken to also said that such rich mixtures don't actually cool the charge. One tuner referenced some SAE papers on the matter, but I didn't get the numbers to read them myself.

And I think you meant "stoichiometric".
      02-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #36
roberts5831
thats what she said...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

there’s one thing i want, in any of the cars i drive, and that’s reliability. Hands down!!! Shiv has proven time and time again you can have reliability and performance in one system. PROCEDE baby!!

Appreciate 0