E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Places we have been and how we came to go there

05-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Places we have been and how we came to go there

Hi another idea, How about sharing where we have been and how or why we ended up there .

Like I came home from work and my wife said I am taking you to Paris for the weekend because we deserve a break

This never happened but please share what and where you have been

No willy waving or stuff like that just show us something nice and how you arrived there pref with pics .

Or even where you would like to go one day

Thanks in Advance
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I would really like to go to north America to some where like Yellowstone to see them massive trees and some wildlife.

Also would love to go to New York to the world trade centre site and manhatten
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I'm sure that funds aren't the reason for you not going to these fine places but, if they are, you're only a simple watch sale away from going
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Missus booked 2 weeks in Florida deoarting October '13.

Wish I was going too.
      05-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Took a weekend road trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon once to see what all of the fuss is about. Pictures don't do the place justice!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Went to New York a couple of years back over new year as I wanted to see,amongst other things,ground zero.Great city and some fantastic sites-Statue of Liberty,Ellis island etc and Times Square was frantic!
Planning to return in the summer time,when the 9/11 memorial museum opens.
Also went to Krakow last year-just to visit Auschwitz and Birkenau.I've always wanted to go, as I thought that it was somewhere important that I should make the effort to visit.
Like ground zero,very sobering.No pictures of either I'm afraid,for obvious reasons...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

I took my wife to Prague for her birthday a few years ago.
Really interesting place and we thoroughly enjoyed it despite it being bloody freezing (her birthday is in February...)
The city has managed not to ruin it's architectural heritage and there's some lovely art deco cafe's etc.
I don't claim be a good photographer but there are 'a few' (!) pictures in my Flickr:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w_e_s_t...7614630120545/

A couple of examples:-

DSC_5294 by Westy_, on Flickr

night1 by Westy_, on Flickr

05-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

I've been very fortunate, and in my (almost) 35years I've made a effort to see the world and experience different cultures.
Was only talking about this the other night as my wife hasn't been so fortunate, but Id really like to see my son have the same opportunities that I have, although he will now never meet his grandparents from Australia which is a travesty.

Something that really sticks in my mind was a real humbling experience, from the poverty that India presented to me - I remember being on a train and a man with no legs got on at a station using only his hands, and then dragged himself round the cabin picking up the crumbs from under the seats.

I want to experience Auschwitz, and Id also like to experience some of the cultures closer to us in the UK, I've never been to Paris or Berlin or Milan or Barcelona for example.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I had never been very far from England all my life, no further than south France and then just before christmas I found myself in the dodgyest club ever, 8.30am about a 45 min taxi journey outside Miami. Earlier that night I had been in a sky box at Liv which is apparently voted the best club in the world. I had to get on a plane and fly home a few hours later.

If I could tell you how I got there I would but it was a very strange weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler
I had never been very far from England all my life, no further than south France and then just before christmas I found myself in the dodgyest club ever, 8.30am about a 45 min taxi journey outside Miami. Earlier that night I had been in a sky box at Liv which is apparently voted the best club in the world. I had to get on a plane and fly home a few hours later.

If I could tell you how I got there I would but it was a very strange weekend.
Oh go on,you're amongst friends.We won't tell...!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I litteraly can't tell you as I don't remember much of the build up just a blur of Grey Goose, Hendriks and Jager bombs.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Think ive been very lucky in life - i decided i wanted to see the world and went travelling round after uni.

Since then ive been filling in the blanks of places i missed.

Still not been to south america - but thats on my list with hopefully Rio next yr for the world cup.
      05-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Think ive been very lucky in life - i decided i wanted to see the world and went travelling round after uni.

Since then ive been filling in the blanks of places i missed.

Still not been to south america - but thats on my list with hopefully Rio next yr for the world cup.
That sounds fantastic please provide some pics if you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thought about this all day , Hong Kong , New York , Some where really cold like canada in winter .

Done some places like France ,Greece , Sweden, Lapland ,Spain ,My wife won't leave our Two Dogs

Our 3 boys now go to the US every year and tbh im a little jealous they go with my Two Brother in laws and one of there cousins and have a fantastic time by all accounts .
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

I did 2 years travelling after uni.

Russia-Mongolia-China-Tibet-Nepal-India-Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Malaysia-Borneo-Indonesia

1 year in Oz working and travelling

And new zealand

Since then done most of Europe, some USA - west (San fran, LA, Vegas, Grand Canyon, monument valley etc) and Florida.

Turkey and most recently morocco.

My money goes on cars, house and travelling. Wedding next year!

Honeymoon will be either Western Australia (Perth-Darwin 4x4 road trip) or Namibia in a landrover.

Some highlights for me:

Mongolia (Amazing people)
India (crazy, poverty, culture)
Laos (untouched in some areas)
Borneo (boat trips to see wild orangutans and scuba diving!)
Australia (love the outback esp NT)
Norway (fjords kayaking and white water rafting)
      05-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92westy View Post
I took my wife to Prague for her birthday a few years ago.
Really interesting place and we thoroughly enjoyed it despite it being bloody freezing (her birthday is in February...)
The city has managed not to ruin it's architectural heritage and there's some lovely art deco cafe's etc.
I don't claim be a good photographer but there are 'a few' (!) pictures in my Flickr:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w_e_s_t...7614630120545/

A couple of examples:-

DSC_5294 by Westy_, on Flickr

night1 by Westy_, on Flickr

Prague is a beautiful city. i have been there few times, as my brother was studying there. I agree about the building look really nice. Night life is very exciting too. .

I have been to a good number of places, all thanks too my parents. Which i am grateful of. Few times i have gone with cousins or friends too.

Some of my favorite places i have been are:
Malta(especially the beach parties in the summer),
Sicily,
Norway (Oslo and the mountain areas. Really liked the place especially if you have a nice car in the summer. One of the best driving experience you can go for)

Dubai (loved the safari trip, quad bikes rides and the shisha session)

Also forgot about my home country Sri lanka, (check out the south coast for the beachs, especially if you are keen surfer like me and my brother).

One place i wanna go next is USA (Canyon area and Miami), Hawai (for the surfing and the beachs = fit ladies out there). and last of all Australia.
Appreciate 0