E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Looking at AR downpipes & JB3 - hold out for .... ?

01-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Looking at AR downpipes & JB3 - hold out for .... ?

This is the first car I've ever planned on modding. I plan on starting with:
-AR downpipes (performance + sound)
-JB3 chip (performance)

Followed later with:
-Akrapovic Evolution SS exhaust (talk about pricey...)
-aFe Intake

Now for the questions:
-What's this BMS downpipe fix all about? Is it necessary? Required?
-When ordering the JB3 there are a few extra options you can pick up too, like the CAN Tool & USB Cable. Any recommendations? Advice? Are they as functional as implied at the burgertuning.com website?
-Should I jut wait and see where these new turbos are going? Will they require a new chip?

Last edited by deadlyrhythm; 01-06-2011 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Crappy iPhone app...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

cool story bro
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Haha. So I accidentally hit "post" on te iPhone app and it didnt even post everything I wrote.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep

The damn iphone always has me looking stupid. You don't know how many times it auto-decides to autocorrect a word right as I'm hitting send in a text.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
AR only
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyrhythm View Post

Now for the questions:
Necessary if you go with Catless downpipes to prevent the CEL.
-When ordering the JB3 there are a few extra options you can pick up too, like the CAN Tool & USB Cable. Any recommendations? Advice? Are they as functional as implied at the burgertuning.com website?
BT Tool is worth it to clear any codes that and have the flexibility to program the car. It's not required but is a nice thing to have on hand.
-Should I jut wait and see where these new turbos are going? Will they require a new chip?
Hard to say without the full kits out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
The damn iphone always has me looking stupid.
It's by design. Switch to Android.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Just get a procede v5 which has everything built in for the same price and has much better features, logging and safety.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Get the COBB flash tuner as a start that is generating alot of post on this board. They will have the off the shelf tunes out for mods later this spring.

I personally would not invest in a jb or procede at this point. Lots of them going up for sale in the for sale threads......ask yourself why?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyrhythm View Post
This is the first car I've ever planned on modding. I plan on starting with:
-AR downpipes (performance + sound)
-JB3 chip (performance)

Followed later with:
-Akrapovic Evolution SS exhaust (talk about pricey...)
-aFe Intake

Now for the questions:
The JB4PNP has the DPFIX built in, as well as code management. If you jump in on my beta group its only $429 fully unlocked. and ships from Canada so no hidden fees/duties

Mike

Last edited by Mike@N54Tuning.com; 01-06-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packinDSS View Post
Get the COBB flash tuner as a start that is generating alot of post on this board. They will have the off the shelf tunes out for mods later this spring.

I personally would not invest in a jb or procede at this point. Lots of them going up for sale in the for sale threads......ask yourself why?
Because its something new. How can you really recommend something with the limited information on the product? Unless you've driven a COBB tuned car, recommending it is like recommending a cologne you've never smelled, but heard that its going smell good. Now, it would be different if you said "If I were you, I'd wait a month or two and see how the COBB tune is".
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Because its something new. How can you really recommend something with the limited information on the product? Unless you've driven a COBB tuned car, recommending it is like recommending a cologne you've never smelled, but heard that its going smell good. Now, it would be different if you said "If I were you, I'd wait a month or two and see how the COBB tune is".

wake up! every car community goes to flash tuning at some point. Name the community still using piggybacks? Cobb has complete control over the ECU. When I had a cobra it was SCT and Predator flashing that had complete control.

OP: Don't waste your money on a piggyback at this point in time. It was a long good run for the Piggys (which Procede won) but the end is near for them.

I repeat no community uses the piggybacks once a flash tuner with custom tuning capabilities arrives. Now we just need the injectors/fuel setup and we will start to make serious safe controlled power with bigger turbos.

Don't believe me, then hold off 3 months and watch. The amount of Procedes and JB3 for sale in the used mods sections grows each day...................

Take note of the silence from Shiv (Prodede) and Terry/Mike (JB team) about Cobb Flash tuning....they know the outcome too. They got us this far and we thank them for that. But the future is flash
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
i dont understand why procede or jb is bad does same job or even better so who cares and cheaper, cobb is new start so they dont have all stuff that v5 has or jb at the moment, and nobody knows who beat what, we will see later when people gets those cobbs devices then we will see which is better in a straight line and i know its using obd II connection but if you dont afaraid to into a ecu so no worries any Piggy is worth
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
wake up! every car community goes to flash tuning at some point. Name the community still using piggybacks? Cobb has complete control over the ECU. When I had a cobra it was SCT and Predator flashing that had complete control.

OP: Don't waste your money on a piggyback at this point in time. It was a long good run for the Piggys (which Procede won) but the end is near for them.

I repeat no community uses the piggybacks once a flash tuner with custom tuning capabilities arrives. Now we just need the injectors/fuel setup and we will start to make serious safe controlled power with bigger turbos.

Don't believe me, then hold off 3 months and watch. The amount of Procedes and JB3 for sale in the used mods sections grows each day...................

Take note of the silence from Shiv (Prodede) and Terry/Mike (JB team) about Cobb Flash tuning....they know the outcome too. They got us this far and we thank them for that. But the future is flash
The Procede can reflash DMEs at this time. As some know, we have this ability for some time. Which is why we implemented a vin lock with v5. But there is a concern we have with regards to coding without a stable external power supply. The same concern held by others who can also reflash DMEs. Not to mention that we can get more performance and flexibility out of the Procede without coding. So I'm not sure what the debate is. So my silence has nothing to do with what you refer to. But rather a desire to wait and see. This is one charge that I don't want to lead. Especially when there is no upside where the rubber hits the road.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-06-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

My point above stands. You can't/shouldn't recommend someone buy something without having tried it or at least know of someone who has tried it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I noticed the Cobb which looks really impressive but the performance wasn't at the same level as JB3... Why would ppl get it then? It IS a much simpler install tho!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

UGH... the opinions and interpretations of tunes of some people never ceases to amaze me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #18
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The Procede can reflash DMEs at this time. As some know, we have this ability for some time. Which is why we implemented a vin lock with v5. But there is a concern we have with regards to coding without a stable external power supply. The same concern held by others who can also reflash DMEs. Not to mention that we can get more performance and flexibility out of the Procede without coding. So I'm not sure what the debate is. So my silence has nothing to do with what you refer to. But rather a desire to wait and see. This is one charge that I don't want to lead. Especially when there is no upside where the rubber hits the road.
I knew it! That's great news. When I read that you were vin locking in another thread I figured you were headig the flash route. I think you remember my post? Based on Shiv' s info then go Procede or Cobb. But do not go with anything that wont support future flashing of the edu. IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #19
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Shiv can you comment more on your intentions with flashing.
I like my procede and have been running it for a while now. The only thing I don't like is the af ratio. Do you have the ability to flash the and make it running richer downlow and in the mid range. My banks sometimes read way off from each other....however when the oil temps are below 170 they read spot on. This is my only concern at this point. I've sent you a log and you claimed its the o2 sensors. No offense but I simply don't believe that. In all my experience with o2 sensors..they either work or they don't. Mine sometimes work and sometimes don't. meaning sometimes they read identical readings and other times they vary by a lot. this could simply be a calculation error in the software as there is Norway my car is hitting the timing its hitting with one bank reading 15.2 at 6k and the other hitting low 12s.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #20
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

interesting post on procede flashing the DME i've been craving the flash AFRs for some time now and really the only reasons I haven't gone that route is 1) meth fail safe integration and 2) no upgraded turbo tunes, which are both currently only privy to the piggies...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #21
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Speaking of my lean af ratio at times....doesn't the procede have a flashing ses light which is triggered by a lean condition? Never seen it. I would think running 15 af ratios at 6k would be more than enough to set the light off. Asumming that's an actual af ration not some bonkers calculation.....which I'm inclined to say that it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #22
MikeyComputers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6mt White/red

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
i waiting to buy a tune too....

now waiting for a jb4 or a v5 or looking at this new cobb thing... i know they got expience in subies but my car can buy 3 of those rice rockets.....

ill wait for some better info... then ill buy mine

and i wanna see dyno sheets from USERS
Appreciate 0