E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 328i MISFIRE

01-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
Fc4rockstar
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2007

BMW 328i MISFIRE

Hello guys I NEED HELP. I own a 2007 BMW 328i and it has a constant misfire. I changed all of the spark plugs and coils and I still get a misfire in cylinder 4. The misfire used to come and go but now it doesn't leave at all. I have no idea what the problem could be. I even changed the fuel injector with a BMW OEM one. A few days ago the car didn't have it until one night I drove over a 110mph and when I came to a stop the car started misfiring. Ever since then it hasn't gone away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
MTK24
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I X Drive

Check and connection on the wires/plugs. Did you try moving the plugs and wires around and see if the misfire changes cylinders?

After this I would check injectors. Could be a bad injector
      01-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Fc4rockstar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire335i View Post
Check and connection on the wires/plugs. Did you try moving the plugs and wires around and see if the misfire changes cylinders?

After this I would check injectors. Could be a bad injector
I actually have tried moving the wires and plugs around and had no luck. I also replaced the injector with a new one from the dealership but I came to no luck as well. I've seen posts of people talking about that it could be the ecu. I googled it but I found extremely little information on that. By any chance, do you have any clue?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
tristanwrogers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White E92

If you wouldn't mind me asking, what symptoms does the car have while driving?

I think my 328i may be misfiring but I don't have any diagnostic tools to confirm. Is that Carly?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Fc4rockstar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanwrogers View Post
If you wouldn't mind me asking, what symptoms does the car have while driving?

I think my 328i may be misfiring but I don't have any diagnostic tools to confirm. Is that Carly?
It pretty much shakes when I'm at a stop. The symptoms are pretty much the same as a normal misfire but this one will not go away. I've tried everything that I could think of. Yes that's Carly that I'm using. I even used a bmw dealership scan toon that my mechanic owns (certified mechanic for bmw) and it pretty much says the same error. I used a different app and the code came out to "injector circuit malfunction cylinder 4". To me it sounds the same as Carly but maybe you may have a idea what it could mean.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fc4rockstar View Post
It pretty much shakes when I'm at a stop. The symptoms are pretty much the same as a normal misfire but this one will not go away. I've tried everything that I could think of. Yes that's Carly that I'm using. I even used a bmw dealership scan toon that my mechanic owns (certified mechanic for bmw) and it pretty much says the same error. I used a different app and the code came out to "injector circuit malfunction cylinder 4". To me it sounds the same as Carly but maybe you may have a idea what it could mean.
So if the plugs are changed and the coils you are left with :

1 Injector Swap them see if it follows

2. You need to perform compression test on that cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
Fc4rockstar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:
So if the plugs are changed and the coils you are left with :

1 Injector Swap them see if it follows

2. You need to perform compression test on that cylinder.
I will try to get a compression test done on the car. I have a question, what is the car fails the compression test? What could be a fix? And how is the failure caused?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Please don't take this as a insult, as I'm just your friendly neighbourhood spiderman trying to help.

Did you happen to check if the spark plugs are torqued properly? Are the coils seated properly? Double checked connections?
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #9
Fc4rockstar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackturbo View Post
Please don't take this as a insult, as I'm just your friendly neighbourhood spiderman trying to help.

Did you happen to check if the spark plugs are torqued properly? Are the coils seated properly? Double checked connections?
Haha no problem, yes I did check all of those factors, but I did not torque them down to spec. I just made sure they were nice and firm without over tightening them. The misfire actually went away yesterday for the whole day and then came back today's morning. I did not touch the engine bay for about 1 and half now. Not sure how the misfire went it away and then came back
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

I dont want to scare you but if your car fails the compression test on that cylinder its pretty bad news. Major head rework needed.

Another thing i would do is reset the ECU completely. So unplug a battery terminal and discharge the ecu/dme votlage. Its probably similar to adaptation reset. Maybe more.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #11
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Quote:

Haha no problem, yes I did check all of those factors, but I did not torque them down to spec. I just made sure they were nice and firm without over tightening them. The misfire actually went away yesterday for the whole day and then came back today's morning. I did not touch the engine bay for about 1 and half now. Not sure how the misfire went it away and then came back
This sounds like a loose connection. I had a misfire, troubleshot & found my coil 5 bad. Replaced all 6. Was perfect for 2 days, then misfire returned. Pulled it apart again and found that one of the coil latches that lock the connector to the coil was not fully engaged. Misfire would come & go for the hour it took for me to get home & dig into it.

Check this. Also, the connectors for coils 2-5 are very tight due to the tie wraps on the harness. Is it possible that you 'tweaked' one of these connectors during your past work?
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #12
Fc4rockstar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Quote:
Quote:

This sounds like a loose connection. I had a misfire, troubleshot & found my coil 5 bad. Replaced all 6. Was perfect for 2 days, then misfire returned. Pulled it apart again and found that one of the coil latches that lick the connector to the coil was not fully engaged. Misfire would come & go for the hour it took for me to get home & dig into it.

Check this. Also, the connectors for coils 2-5 are very tight due to the tie wraps on the harness. Is it possible that you 'tweaked' one of these connectors during your past work?
Very interesting, I will definitely check that out. Well the misfire actually started when I changed my valve cover the first time because it was cracked. Maybe I pulled something and the connection got loose. My car never misfired until the valve cover replacement. Thank you I will check it when I have free time to work on the car
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #13
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

my misifre was a terminal on the injector that did not grip the spade tightly.

Pull the injector harness and use a pick to bend the center of the female terminals together.

Look on the injector male side for witness marks that are lighter than the others. That's how I finally found mine.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #14
Fc4rockstar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
my misifre was a terminal on the injector that did not grip the spade tightly.

Pull the injector harness and use a pick to bend the center of the female terminals together.

Look on the injector male side for witness marks that are lighter than the others. That's how I finally found mine.
Thank you, I'll try this tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #15
robygomez
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 325i, 2010, E90

Hope not to repeat, but I´ve just had the same problema last weekend and it happened to be the coil number 4, just switch it to position 1 and the scanner told me the problem was now in cylinder 1 so I bought a new coil and voila!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 03:49 AM   #16
parkjake50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 zcp 6spd

Hi, when i come to a stop light, in D mode, it will start to randomly shake while foot being on the brake. Is this like the same symptom you were experiencing?
Appreciate 0