E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil & Filter change today...

01-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #23
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
way to generalize there buddy.

Did you miss that thread when a E90 owner took his oil for professional analysis? guess what the result was.

To each on your own. Honestly, I think 15,000 is fine, but for safe side sake, Im going to get my first oil changed @ 5000miles. First oil is where all the dirty debris are left over. After that, I'll follow BMW's procedure.
No arguement about the 1st oil change, and I did read the analysis from Blackstone Labs, however the rest of what I said was the truth. Ne1 worth their salt will tell you changing synthetic oil every 5k miles of "normal" driving is a waste of $$. 3k miles changes are even more wasteful.

People will give you every excuse in the world for changing their oil in shorter intervals, and to be honest it gets tiring hearing the same "piece of mind" reasoning when infact it's because they just like to work on their cars. It's maintenance for maintenance sake, and I'm fine with that. Just admit it, and don't imply that your(I don't mean you) chosen interval is better, when it's not.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #24
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
No arguement about the 1st oil change, and I did read the analysis from Blackstone Labs, however the rest of what I said was the truth. Ne1 worth their salt will tell you changing synthetic oil every 5k miles of "normal" driving is a waste of $$. 3k miles changes are even more wasteful.

People will give you every excuse in the world for changing their oil in shorter intervals, and to be honest it gets tiring hearing the same "piece of mind" reasoning when infact it's because they just like to work on their cars. It's maintenance for maintenance sake, and I'm fine with that. Just admit it, and don't imply that your(I don't mean you) chosen interval is better, when it's not.

True and very much agreed.
Technology is getting better day by day, and im sure bmw engineers know more than us.
I was specifically referring to only first oil change being earlier, because of the lab anaylsis the member showed us that we all saw.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #25
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
...it gets tiring hearing the same "piece of mind" reasoning when infact it's because they just like to work on their cars. It's maintenance for maintenance sake, and I'm fine with that. Just admit it...
I admit, I get piece of mind when I change my oil, and I admit I like working on my car.

Why can't people get peace of mind from doing something they want to do? I get *piece of mind* when I change my oil, and I like working on my car, why can't they go together?

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #26
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I'd love to know exactly how BMW runs the engines prior to delivery. I'm sure they run them some but it would be interesting to find out how long, if they change the oil and put brand new oil and a filter on for delivery. That would go a long way in easing my mind about how long to wait on that first oil change.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #27
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Why not just go non-synthetic and save some $$? Afterall, a big reason behind using synthetic has to do with the extended change interval. E90Fleet!!! Where are you !!!!..
__________________________________________________ __My reason for not switching to dino engine oil is that the manufacturer specifies synthetic energy saving oil. I kinda think that BMW has a good idea what it's engines need in the way of lubricants. <g> I do however, intend to change oil more frequently than recommended for my own peace of mind and because I would rather over maintain a car than undermaintain it. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #28
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4chan
Quick question....do you have to bring it to back the dealer, or could you bring it to lube and filter place to have it done? And watch them to make sure they put Synthetic Oil back in.

Has anyone done this? I live in Canada and was thinking after 5000km is reached, I'd bring it to Minute Lube to get it changed with Mobil 1 syn. oil. Any thoughts gurus?

Thanks
e4.
__________________________________________________ __ Any competent shop can change the oil and filter for you. It "ain't" rocket science. Filters and proper oils are available. The better brands of filters come with "O rings" and crankcase drain plug crush washers. I don't recommend the franchised quick lube shops, however.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 01:49 AM   #29
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMnet
I had the oil and filter changed today at 1,600 miles. The cost was $69.00 dollars.

Lucky you. Prices in here: Oil filter 14 € ~ 17 $, 6,5 litre of Castrol SLX 0W-30 130 € ~ 156 $. So it will be 173 USD just for parts. This is for sure the most expensive oil change I've ever done.
Appreciate 0