E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > e92 Value Projections @ years 2 & 3

07-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

e92 Value Projections @ years 2 & 3

I've had my e92 for about 18 months, but am considering the best time to sell and could do with some advice on projected values.

I'm hoping to have it paid off a year earlier than anticipated, which makes me wonder if it would be best to sell at two years old, with one year left on the warranty etc and take out a new loan, or sell at three years old and take advantage of the car allowance for the year.

I currently have nearly 27k on it, and would expect to have about 36k at two years and approx 55k at three years. Mostly steady motorway driving.

I know it's hard to project out due to the current climate, but would appreciate any assistance/knowledge sharing. I guess the biggest influencer would be the depreciation between years two and three?

Cheers

Ed
      07-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Traditionally a BM / Audi would have managed manage 50% from basic list after 3 years (private)

Now you'd seem lucky to get 1/3rd of list after 3 years. Current PCP GMFV residuals seem to reflect this drop too. Options make bugger all difference except leather & nav.

Book average is still12k miles per year, so yours is quite a bit over.

My current 335i was £42k with options (i paid 36) and the GMFV for 3 yrs / 45k miles is £12K!!!!! yep 12 f##king grand. That's why after 3 years i'll be buying it for 12 grand, what a steel! The missus can have it for her shopping car!

But you'll need to sell private to realise the maximum value of your old car. I did it with the 330 and rented a corsa for £250 a month (half the monthly depreciation of the 330i at the time!!) till the new car turned up.

You will always benefit from keeping the car longer, its simple maths. The depreciation levels out and if you have paid it off your only cost is the depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This is true, but I've just seen a 2+ year old car on a dealer website with 38k on the clock for £25k (and not as good a spec as mine) - is it going to halve again in a year?

I appreciate that dealer buy prices will be lower, but I think I'd prefer to save £12k in depreciation and sell a year earlier!
      07-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Traditionally a BM / Audi would have managed manage 50% from basic list after 3 years (private)

Now you'd seem lucky to get 1/3rd of list after 3 years. Current PCP GMFV residuals seem to reflect this drop too. Options make bugger all difference except leather & nav.

Book average is still12k miles per year, so yours is quite a bit over.

My current 335i was £42k with options (i paid 36) and the GMFV for 3 yrs / 45k miles is £12K!!!!! yep 12 f##king grand. That's why after 3 years i'll be buying it for 12 grand, what a steel! The missus can have it for her shopping car!

But you'll need to sell private to realise the maximum value of your old car. I did it with the 330 and rented a corsa for £250 a month (half the monthly depreciation of the 330i at the time!!) till the new car turned up.

You will always benefit from keeping the car longer, its simple maths. The depreciation levels out and if you have paid it off your only cost is the depreciation.
Wouldnt say that as you have already paid for the rest up front, if it was someone else who could buy your car for 12k at 3 years old then it would be a steal...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Steve748
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Corvette & Jeep Commander

I would have thought a 3yr old a good car for a private sale
Appreciate 0