E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Warning Lights? What does it mean?

10-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
HTMBmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328xi

Started the car this morning with this light. I check the error code it appears to be cc-id 41... I check the manual book. It say that gear box or something may be locked or something or brake?

It saturday and kind of late for anyone to be able to check it out. I was wondering if i could still drive it without having any major probelm.

I also notice it say 290 mls then now says 0 mls

The light is red and also shows a red traingle with a exclamation mark

Here's the photos.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

front brake service due
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
HTMBmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict
front brake service due
Does that mean that it need replace or what.
I have a 3rd party warranty I recently had Maintenance. Oil change filter etc etc.

Anyone know BMW dealership that doesn't charge for outrages diagnostic fee like midtown it like 100$.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Your front brake pads are due to be changed, the brake job on our cars isnt anything special, you don't need to go to a BMW dealership for it. They shouldn't have to diagnose anything since it says your pads are due to be changed.
      10-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
HTMBmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122
Your front brake pads are due to be changed, the brake job on our cars isnt anything special, you don't need to go to a BMW dealership for it. They shouldn't have to diagnose anything since it says your pads are due to be changed.
So i just tell them my front brake pads are due? To be changed?

Spoken to 2 dealership. All say we have to charge diagnostic? One runs for 90$ and other 100$

I have a third-party warranty that offer brakes engine etc not anything electronical or stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

If you haven't yet done so, read your owners manual. The graphic you posted is in there and the manual says "front brake pads" You shouldnt' need to ask the forum what it means. Not that you aren't welcome to do so, just that you'd have had the answer in your hands so much faster.

I could be wrong, but doesn't your dealer only hit you with the diagnostic fee if you don't have them do the repair work? Nearly every shop I've ever had work done at doesn't charge a seperate diagnostic fee if they do the repair; they have it so they get compensated if the customer used their expertise to find the problem and then takes their car elsewhere.

Check the fine print of your third party warranty; coverage for "normal wear and tear" items like brake pads and rotors isn't usually included. Brakes are a "consumable" just like gasoline, albeit they tend to last a little while.
Appreciate 0