E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > loss of coolant. oily canister. blown gasket?

10-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

loss of coolant. oily canister. blown gasket?

hello so i had a dashboard msg that coolant is low. opened a coolant canister, and yes the liquid was only at the bottom and when i tried to touch the coolant stick, it was oily...would this confirm the head gasket is blown?
how else without tools I can confirm it? read various ways, so i am confused now.
1.running the engine with open coolant canister? and when bubbles or even spilling out, that would confirm it I guess?
but is there any chance it can be a head gasket and not have above symptom? (maybe a small hole only under high load?)
2. white or blue smoke? is it only while cold engine ?
3. as i mentioned above, when only a small hole in head gasket that won't show the symptoms with opened coolant canister, what's the best way to confirm it with no tools? (i guess the pressure test would be the next step?)
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

The best way to do anything without tools is take it to a dealer. But in the meantime, try refilling, don't go on any long trips and keep a close eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

taking it to the local stealer, or stealers (they all are the same where i live) would mean that not only head gasket is blown, but radiator leaks, maybe cylinders or valves were affectedand need renovation, also turbos need to change as a result of it and few other things....(they wanted to change my turbos already about 5x, everytime another stealer and even indie stealers....;-) yet they are fine, and only red hose was unplugged or vacuum line was perished....etc. etc. etc. if I have a good mechanic that I can trust, I wouldn't even be on this forum tbh...
Appreciate 0