E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BFIK (Big Friggin Intercooler Kit)

06-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #23
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inDe View Post
This looks identical to the Big Tom/CX Racing $178 eBay intercooler? If so I'm sorry but I'd rather save a couple hundred and have a great piece like the ATM intercooler..If I am wrong about the product I apologize in advance.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Turbo...%257Ciid%253A4
That is exactly what it looks like with that shroud: https://www.cxracing.com/index.php?r...product_id=229. I thought the same thing when I saw it and that shroud is unmistakable imo, only n54 IC I have seen with a shroud.

One thing to note is CX does offer the same IC that is 4'' thick vs. 3.5''. You just have to call them up and ask for it. I know it fits with the n54 engine I would guess the diesel as well. It is only slightly more expensive. If you are going to do it, do it once and do it right imo. IIRC the 4'' thick has 3'' inlet and outlet pipes vs. the 3.5'' thick model only having 2.5'' inlet and outlet pipes. Most aftermarket turbo cars upgrade to full 3'' piping from turbo to IC or larger.

BPC kit:

CX website:

CX IC installed on an N54 powered E9X:

Stock N54 IC vs. CX racing. Again I would opt for the 4'' thick version this is the 3.5 on the website. Be neat if BPC could show the same picture but with the diesel IC stock and aftermarket and piping:

CX N54 IC top mount brace/mount:

BPC BFIK IC top brace/mount:

Brace/bracket bends looks almost identical. The CX IC works well on stock turbo n54s. It is not a restriction and cools the intake charge well. The N54 guys call this the Big Tom IC if anyone wants to search the forums for it. Big Tom 1st installed it etc.

If BPC got those gains without touching the tune it means the previous IC, I am guessing stock, was a pretty good restriction. Good news is the IC, assuming it is a cx/big tom, is inexpensive. Just looks like you need to fab up the IC pipes and obviously mount the IC.

@John@BPC Is this just the CX racing kit with custom inlet and outlet pipes? If so forum members, the IC can be had for under $200 online if you are willing to fab your own braces and inlet and outlet pipes. Otherwise the CX kit is $450 online but you still need to fab the inlet and outlet pipes it looks like. But you get all the braces and shroud etc which is a much cleaner install imo. If this is not the CX Racing N54 IC kit I have never seen anything so close...nothing wrong with using it as a building block for your BFIK. You obviously have to have your margins you need to make to keep the lights on. Great to see the dyno results! Should help sell some ICs for the diesels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
What's the point of hiding 50% of that IC behind the bumper/rebar? Seems like a complete waste.
Well some airflow still gets back there. Especially with the shroud in theory. The other thing to consider is think of the IC as a heat sink. Aluminum transfers heat very well. Both to the intake charge and the rest of the IC. If this IC was not cooling enough the answer would be to run meth imo. The key being the IC is not a large restriction and has small pressure drop. Another thing is in general you want more frontal surface area vs. depth when it comes to an IC. If you want to see more dynos and more information on this IC look on the forums for Big Tom IC. I'm 99% sure this is the same IC/kit given the bends in the brackets and IC shroud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYBRAVO1 View Post
I have this IC, I just need to get the turbo side piping. John did you guys (BPC) extend the flanges on the IC side? They don't stick out that far.
Where did you get it?

If anyone wants to play with one of the best ICs for the N54 check out the VRSF Race series ICs: http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-7-5-ste...2-e90-e92.html I guarantee the fin pack and contruction is much better than the cheapo CX racing/Big TOM IC. Better end tanks, fin pack, size, etc. but at 2x the cost you may not need it. If AIT suppression is a big deal for you a large nonrestrictive IC + meth injection is the best bet: minimal pressure drop from the IC and super consistent AITs with the added octane benefit.

Edit: just wanted to add some links for you guys. The godspeed rx-7 v-mount intercooler is a drop in replacement for the cx/big tom IC. CX racing IC alone: $180 bucks http://m.ebay.ca/itm/250858634871?_mwBanner=1 who knows maybe they are all the same. They look like it. Again I would opt for the 4" version and 3" inlet and outlet pipes. As far as any cutting to the shroud if needed use a sawsall and take off the front bumper. Saves a ton of time and hassle.

Last edited by Torgus; 06-04-2017 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #24
335inDe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

VRSF is not a bad budget intercooler but after having both you cannot even put it in the same boat in quality as the Helix/ATM...this is just my opinion of course and everyone is entitled to their own.
Appreciate 1
iaknown425.00
      06-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #25
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inDe View Post
VRSF is not a bad budget intercooler but after having both you cannot even put it in the same boat in quality as the Helix/ATM...this is just my opinion of course and everyone is entitled to their own.
I have a helix on my n54 never had a chance to compare it to the race version of the vrsf. Have not had a chance to install one yet. The race vs other n54 vrsf ICs are supposed to be dramatic fwiw. I will agree the helix at the time was one of if not the best ICs available. Given the reviews and size difference I would swap out my helix for the largest vrsf IC if I thought it was a restriction. As I run meth I don't think about the ic much anymore. Only gain would be flow/pressure drop. Probably more of a concern if you run aftermarket twins or a single on the n54 or upgraded 335d. If I were to upgrade the new vrsf race series seem to be the way to go unless you want to go custom imo. I can't imagine the gains would be very significant but you never know.

Last edited by Torgus; 06-04-2017 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #26
335inDe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I have a helix on my n54 never had a chance to compare it to the race version of the vrsf. Have not had a chance to install one yet. The race vs other n54 vrsf ICs are supposed to be dramatic fwiw. I will agree the helix at the time was one of if not the best ICs available. Given the reviews and size difference I would swap out my helix for the largest vrsf IC if I thought it was a restriction. As I run meth I don't think about the ic much anymore. Only gain would be flow/pressure drop. Probably more of a concern if you run aftermarket twins or a single on the n54 or upgraded 335d. If I were to upgrade the new vrsf race series seem to be the way to go unless you want to go custom imo. I can't imagine the gains would be very significant but you never know.
I have never installed a race one from VRSF either only have a 7" on our 335is. After owning a Helix though if I knew Dave was going to revamp ATM I would have definitely held off just for the install and less cutting involved alone.
Appreciate 1
iaknown425.00
      06-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #27
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

I'm running the BFIK from BPC.

My prior set up was a Wagner and the difference, prior to the retune, was dramatic after the new IC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #28
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Now we're going to need dyno plots of IC vs IC to see all these 'dramatic' changes, lol.
      06-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #29
ASBSECU E93
Rep

and logs....cannot forget the logs...
Quote:
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      06-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #30
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

For the sake of transparency, logs while on the dyno.

Changes in intercooler sizes will almost always show benefits on a standard dyno where the airflow through the intercooler and load isn't the same as on the street.

In addition, there are countless threads on the internet regarding CX and eBay intercooler comparisons to brand named, higher quality cores. They work ok, in fact my last turbo BMW trapped 145 (1/4 not 1/2) with an eBay intercooler. But, the quality and cooling capability is a trade off per $$$. The higher quality cores are simply better but 3-4x the price. In the end, is the higher quality core going to make more power? Not likely... although, the higher quality cores will maintain power levels during repeatedly WOT blast or during a 20-30 minute track session.

I think this is a good, hard pipe Option. Iaknown's kit is sweet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post

Last edited by 335dsleeper; 06-05-2017 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
iaknown425.00
      06-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #31
ASBSECU E93
Rep

335dsleeper - Agree on the regular track statement about the FMIC and higher quality components.

Also agree - iaknown has earned the respect of many with his dedication to the brand, and the high quality of his products.

For me, I have a car built for that type of use - but most of my adventures are in 'Mexico'....what I have more than suffices at the occasional 1/2 mile event, or late night adventure.
Quote:
Appreciate 1
iaknown425.00
      06-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #32
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Yes! Without data you're just another person with an opinion- W. Edwards Deming
      06-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #33
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Yes! Without data you're just another person with an opinion- W. Edwards Deming
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #34
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

I bought mine from CX, I believe I paid 320 without the piping/clamps and hoses. It came with brackets and shroud. Now I just need to find the time to do the tig and pipe bends.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #35
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
For the sake of transparency, logs while on the dyno.

Changes in intercooler sizes will almost always show benefits on a standard dyno where the airflow through the intercooler and load isn't the same as on the street.

In addition, there are countless threads on the internet regarding CX and eBay intercooler comparisons to brand named, higher quality cores. They work ok, in fact my last turbo BMW trapped 145 (1/4 not 1/2) with an eBay intercooler. But, the quality and cooling capability is a trade off per $$$. The higher quality cores are simply better but 3-4x the price. In the end, is the higher quality core going to make more power? Not likely... although, the higher quality cores will maintain power levels during repeatedly WOT blast or during a 20-30 minute track session.

I think this is a good, hard pipe Option. Iaknown's kit is sweet too.
+1

You guys kind of covered this but I feel like I should chime in Logs on the dyno are somewhat beneficial but only tell part of the story.....which is pressure drop. You can put a huge intercooler in and it may pick up gains but on a stationary dyno with a fan blowing on it those gains are mostly from pressure drop and not cooling. Especially in our cars where we know the stock IC is a restriction with the power levels we reach.

BUT that doesn't necessarily mean it will cool well on the street or recover well either. That part can only be told by logging in the real world and often shows quite a contrast between a cheap core and an efficient one.....

Last edited by iaknown; 06-06-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #36
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
+1

You guys kind of covered this but I feel like I should chime in Logs on the dyno are somewhat beneficial but only tell part of the story.....which is pressure drop. You can put a huge intercooler in and it may pick up gains but on a stationary dyno with a fan blowing on it those gains are mostly from pressure drop and not cooling. Especially in our cars where we know the stock IC is a restriction with the power levels we reach.

BUT that doesn't necessarily mean it will cool well on the street or recover well either. That part can only be told by logging in the real world and often indicates a large difference between a big intercooler and an efficient one.....
Ditch the IC all together and just run meth

Like a big boi:

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #37
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Ditch the IC all together and just run meth
Or both like many of us do
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      06-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #38
John@BPC
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, M4, M5

Quote:
@John@BPC Is this just the CX racing kit with custom inlet and outlet pipes? If so forum members, the IC can be had for under $200 online if you are willing to fab your own braces and inlet and outlet pipes. Otherwise the CX kit is $450 online but you still need to fab the inlet and outlet pipes it looks like. But you get all the braces and shroud etc which is a much cleaner install imo. If this is not the CX Racing N54 IC kit I have never seen anything so close...nothing wrong with using it as a building block for your BFIK. You obviously have to have your margins you need to make to keep the lights on. Great to see the dyno results! Should help sell some ICs for the diesels!
We did use a 335i kit from CX racing. We picked and pulled parts from it as we needed complete our own custom kit for 335ds, which required the piping to be modified or even completely custom made in some parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #39
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

I don't see the kits offered on the BPC site anymore. Are they no longer available?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:08 PM   #40
SPKFOX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
I don't see the kits offered on the BPC site anymore. Are they no longer available?

I don't believe so... What I've seen people doing now is using the cx racing kit with their own custom piping. I'm gonna be doing the same here soon with v bands on the turbo side and intake... Tired of blowing couplers
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #41
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPKFOX View Post
I don't believe so... What I've seen people doing now is using the cx racing kit with their own custom piping. I'm gonna be doing the same here soon with v bands on the turbo side and intake... Tired of blowing couplers
You mind doing some type of write up on that when you do it? I have some custom intercooler piping that I might work for that when I install my intercooler. I also want to do a BOV somewhere down stream.