E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Pioneer AVH-p8400BH and Dynavin service info

07-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Pioneer AVH-p8400BH and Dynavin service info

Just thought I'd throw up a few pics of this double din unit installed in my e90. Recently a few people asked if it was possible to install a double din unit.

Please note that I did not have iDrive, do not have BMW-assist. I did not relocate the stock headunit. I do not notice any missing chimes. My car came with Hi-Fi.

Before this pioneer unit I had a Dynavin D90 (the first unit released for e9x). It seems to have failed on me after 1 year and 3 months of service, although I admittedly need to take some time re-seating some of the ZIF socket connectors in the event that one just came loose. My Dynavin distributer (CarAudioCraze) informed me that for out of warranty repair that the unit would have to be shipped to Europe for a cost of $80, at which point I'd then be quoted a repair price if it was possible for repair. I obviously, having had already invested ~$700 into the Dynavin did not want to invest more.

(If anyone needs any spare Dynavin components, the LCD screen, remote, harnesses (canbox), GPS antenna and everything are in working order, PM me for cheap price)

The installation of the pioneer AVH-P8400BH went smooth, it's about the same as installing a Dynavin itself except you have to terminate the new radio harness to a BMW harness adapter. Nothing much to say here really.

The dash kit fits a little tight, but that makes it firm. It does stick out a little at the bottom but so what. The stock radio can always go back in and it's worth it to have significant more functionality than the stock radio, IMO.

I used the metra axxess steering wheel controls interface. Only had to tap into two wires. Auto-programed by repeatedly tapping the volume up button after the first power on until an LED quit flashing. Easy as that.

Additionally you will see the Metra heated seat button relocation. I liked this over the Dynavin ashtray solution (the gloss black didn't look right to me when the car had more of flat black). It's probably different for the silver ashtray.

Compared to the Dyanvin it's really no contest. The OS of the pioneer, (although could be improved) is really advanced over the Dynavin. The touchscreen is snappy and responsive to touch from the finger. The iPod/iPhone controls actually function and function well. It's easy to load a new playlist, change to a different artist, ect. The Bluetooth audio works perfect (and shows artist track/title information as well) and autoplays upon getting in the car.

The unit that I purchased does not have built in navigation. It's an optional add-on, but it has what is called Advanced App mode, wherein I just use the Motion-X GPS app on my iPhone, plug in my phone, and then it shows up on the Pioneer's touch screen. I have some touchscreen controls available (like muting the voice guidance) but I have to do POI searches on the phone itself. I actually prefer this method because I can type much faster on my phone, searches are linked to Google and not a POI database in the navigation maps, and I only need to manage one navi system (I travel and use my phone in rental cars and such). I saved several hundreds by not needing (or wanting) a built-in Nav. Additionally, I can use my iPhone and play Netflix, Youtube, Pandora, a few other GPS options, ect. The unit also has USB/SD/HD-Radio/Sat-Radio options.

I highly recommend this, and likely most modern double-din touchscreens over the Dynavin. It really only boils down to the look of the installed radio. I thought the OEM look of the Dynavin was all that mattered, but after having had owned both, and considering the risk of the Dynavin investment with regards to available service, I can honestly say that I wish I had not purchased the unit. The day to day use of the unit just doesn't fit in a world with iPhones and Android devices that illustrate the importance of a well functioning operating system.

The Dynavin team should quit making the radios but install make "dash kits" that have the backlight volume knobs and buttons that come with the integrated canbox (steering wheel) interface that has a double din opening to accept aftermarket radios. That way you get the look of the dynavin with the radio quality of an established manufacturer. The canbox can be programmable like the PAC or Metra unit to work with any aftermarket radio using the wire remote interface.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
That looks clean
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Kirkland Sig
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Very nice setup. I've been looking to get the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH with the same dash kit and the Metra steering wheel interface but have been a little hesitant because of the relocation of the stock head unit and the possibility of losing some functions. Were you able to retain all steering wheel controls as well as utilize the USB and ipod connector functions in the center armrest?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 Msport

Nice stereo; I done a similar install but went with the Janus Design double din bezel as I did not like how other bezels on the market did not sit flush with the climate controls at the bottom.

07-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkland Sig View Post
Very nice setup. I've been looking to get the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH with the same dash kit and the Metra steering wheel interface but have been a little hesitant because of the relocation of the stock head unit and the possibility of losing some functions. Were you able to retain all steering wheel controls as well as utilize the USB and ipod connector functions in the center armrest?
I didn't have a USB in the armrest, but I'm sure you'd lose it along with the "aux" input.

However most aftermarket radios have them, and I ran two USB cables and the aux cable down the center console to the arm-rest, so I did retain that functionality, just not with the stock plugs.

The Metra Axxess interface kept all functions but the "air recirculate" button, which I believe is something that you lose when switching from the stock anyway.

If you've got the cash for the 8400bh, I'd spring for it over the 4400bh. I actually ordered both from crutchfield and made my determination by having both in the car. The 8400bh just looks a lot better because it's a higher-res panel, LED backlight, has the SD and additional USB and has the advanced App mode for iPhone. Some, of that may not matter, but the high res is notable. The low res of the 4400 stands out in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
SnEeKy4LiFe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Do you have pic of the stock unit installed in the trunk? How did you relocate the stock unit to the trunk? I need to replace my stock unit cant stand it any more plus my bluetooth just stop working on me and it going to cost about 1k to replace it.
      07-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Kirkland Sig
Rep

Sorry for the late response but thanks for the info. Where did you buy your harness?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I got my leads from www.incarmusic.co.uk, they are based in Leyton, East London
      07-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Are you running on the stock amp and speakers?

Are you running on the stock amp and speakers?
What are you running if not the stock setup?
Any improvent in sound quality either way?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

At the moment, I am running L7 subs and mids from stereo. The stereo has direct sub drive which I used to run the underseat sub. Definitely a marked improvement over the standard stereo.
      07-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cage911
At the moment, I am running L7 subs and mids from stereo. The stereo has direct sub drive which I used to run the underseat sub. Definitely a marked improvement over the standard stereo.
So you originally had logic 7? I don't see how that would be an improvement at all. Considering the logic 7 amp has more power. If you actually have logic 7 you should add an amp. The sq will be better also the stock logic 7 speakers are 2 ohm, and most if not all aftermarket head units are only 4 ohm stable. Also are the underseats wired to one channel? If they are, and they are wired in parallel that would also be a 2 ohm load.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No, I never had logic 7 install. I had a base stereo setup. I have just temporarily upgraded the underseat subs and door mids to the L7 speakers. My plan is to actually get some Focal 100KRS components and 8" mid-bass (Jenherts) and run them of a 5 channel amp. I will use the 5 channel for 10" sub in the boot.
      07-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

This looks perfect. I am looking to do the same setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Kirkland Sig
Rep

@scuba - what harness did you purchase for your head unit?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #15
Tyronekndrck
Rep
Drives: 08 e90

I know this post is old but just wondering is there any newer model dash kits that fit better/more flush in 2018 for e90? Searching hard and can't find any info on them
Appreciate 0