E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Easiest/cheapest drop-in speaker replacements?

10-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #45
Damaskus325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328ix sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
No, that's the opposite conclusion. The speakers are 4 ohms. Because each of the 4 main channels has two speakers in parallel attached to it, the amp sees a 2 ohm load on each channel.

The point is, replacing any (non-mid-bass underseat) component in the system with a 4 ohm aftermarket will work. But replacing the AMP to drive the otherwise stock system DOES require a 2ohm by 6 channel amp.

Another acceptable option would be using a 4ohm amp, but unplugging the tweeters on all channels so only the 4" components are plugged in (of course, that'll sound extra meh).

Yet another acceptable solution would be to rewire the stock tweeter and 4" with a proper 4 ohm crossover to both. But there's probably a reason BMW didn't do this in the first place, and it may be that the setup sounds bad if you cut off the high end from the 4" drivers.
Gotcha. I suppose I could just not cheap out and buy another 4 ohm set for the back. Those 100 K2 are pricey at $750 for rear speakers though. Im going back to my plan b. Amp front Focals and amp OEM under seats with rear channels, bridge to load at 2 ohm and keep my trunk sub as is. As long as the under seats can take the 175w from the amp at no gain I should be golden.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #46
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There are some three way drop in sets that are cheaper than
those Focals which would include 8 inch underseats that are 4 ohm.

I ran the stock under seats on my xd 600/6 for several days and I
can tell you that although some bass and mid bass come through they are quite
muddy under power.

I would consider three way kits by Gladen, Jehnert , Mbquart, Diamond audio , Rockford
Fosgate , Helix Match. Most of these run in the 500 to 600 range I don't know if all are
thin enough for an e92.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-06-2018 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:20 AM   #47
Damaskus325
Private
Rep

I just can't see spending even $500 for rear fill. As long as my front stage is good im fine with that. I really wish I could get my Boston's in there. As good as the Focals I have are, my old Boston's are still the second best speakers I have ever heard next to the Morel Supremos.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #48
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

DO NOT spend a dime for rear speakers. Well maybe a dime! Put all the money into mids/tweeter and underseats. Then reduce the power from your new amp or time align the rears out of the equation.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #49
Damaskus325
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
DO NOT spend a dime for rear speakers. Well maybe a dime! Put all the money into mids/tweeter and underseats. Then reduce the power from your new amp or time align the rears out of the equation.
I don't plan on it. The return in sound just isn't worth the investment. I recall in my E39 I just had a 2.1 setup with my Boston's components and subwoofer and it sounded glorious. I may even try that with my Focals first and see how I like it. No rears, no under seats no problems.
Appreciate 0