E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW Discontinues Perf Exhaust (2018), Alternatives?

04-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #23
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

I ended up paying 1200 shipped, in the end, but am super PO'd at ECS if in fact they have found 6 units.

I called them twice yesterday and talked to two different guys who said they posted the expected dates of parts on their website based on how long it took them the last time they ordered parts to get stock in and if there was a delay or shortage, they wouldn't update their system until it is confirmed its not available. I'll be curious what happens in another few weeks...

What started this was their site use to show the BMW PE for my car when I looked for parts for it specifically and then all of a sudden Monday, no options for performance exhaust were available. if you typed the part number in their system it is there with availability date of April 25, but if you search under PE for the 2011 E91 328i, only the Supersprinter is listed now. Which told me there was something up.

One of the guys I spoke to had also been in contact with one of their warehouses and indicated there were none in stock in the US or Europe, the same thing that the multiply BMW dealers told me.

Either way, this is one of those situations that will turn out one of two ways... I paid to much for not being patient, or I paid to much to get an OE BMW part and I know I am not the first person to do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #24
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

I hate the run around, and as I mentioned in the other post, I had a similar experience trying to buy the B12 kit back in August. Oh, it will be 6 weeks. Err, now 10. Nope, 12 now. Ummm, yeah, it's gonna be spring 2018...

Who knows what the deal is until someone can give us a clear answer. I do feel something is amiss since my local dealer confirmed your details, but I can't say they have many enthusiasts around these parts.

Anyway, congrats on finding what you wanted. It's a nice piece of kit and you should enjoy. Just check out the unit when it gets delivered - my muffler section of the delivery box (you'll get two boxes, one muffler and one mid pipe) looks to have been roughed up and the tips had a slight flat spot on the bottom once installed due to being dropped most likely. Super minor issue, but annoyed nonetheless since they were brand new.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #25
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

There might still be a couple laying around at dealerships, or you can go with Eisenmann if you like.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #26
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quart View Post
Either way, this is one of those situations that will turn out one of two ways... I paid to much for not being patient, or I paid to much to get an OE BMW part and I know I am not the first person to do that.
Haha. Well, don't be too hard on yourself, mate! The MSRP is $1440, so, it could have been worse.

The prices for the PE seem to have come down in the past year or two, at least from what I saw when searching. I think that many out there that bought a new PE paid in the $1100-1200 range, so you aren't super alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
Just check out the unit when it gets delivered - my muffler section of the delivery box (you'll get two boxes, one muffler and one mid pipe) looks to have been roughed up and the tips had a slight flat spot on the bottom once installed due to being dropped most likely. Super minor issue, but annoyed nonetheless since they were brand new.
That's interesting. We ordered from the same place and mine came in one box lol. I wonder if during shipping yours got damaged (box destroyed) so the shipping company re-boxed it and kept going? lol
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #27
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Crevier BMW has returned my call and reports that BMW has discontinued the part.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #28
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

I hope this isn't the beginning of a pattern for those of us who own the N52 cars... I also have a 2010 N54 equipped 1Series and could never imagine the market drying up for parts for it, but suspect those of use who modify the N52 are fewer and farther between.

Its probably getting harder and harder to make a business case to continue to manufacture parts for 8+ year old cars with a limited aftermarket customer base, especially for the Performance divisions of the manufacturers.
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      04-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #29
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Quote:
I hope this isn't the beginning of a pattern for those of us who own the N52 cars... I also have a 2010 N54 equipped 1Series and could never imagine the market drying up for parts for it, but suspect those of use who modify the N52 are fewer and farther between.

Its probably getting harder and harder to make a business case to continue to manufacture parts for 8+ year old cars with a limited aftermarket customer base, especially for the Performance divisions of the manufacturers.
It's just the Performance Part PN that's discontinued. Like Hass said, you can still buy a brand new muffler for a '76 2002. I'm sure BMW sold like 25 PEs a year. Not worth the overhead like you said. Luckily there are still quality aftermarket exhaust options for the N52 E90.
      04-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #30
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Exactly. And wasn't the BMW Performance line a relatively new thing, starting around the time when the E9x was introduced? (I could be totally wrong there.) If so, BMW may still be figuring out what is profitable and what isn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #31
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

I got a delivery today... But won't be able to install it until at least Thursday...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #32
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good luck w/ the install man! Watch those band clamps very closely as you tighten them.. the inner sleeves have a tendency to "bunch up" and then bend, creating exhaust leaks.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #33
bladsville
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 6MT

Anyone else have any heads up on PE Exhaust for sale?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:19 PM   #34
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

interesting.. whats the performance gain with the Y pipe?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 05:08 AM   #35
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Apologies, I never followed up after the install with comments or feedback. with a 9-10 yo car, I figure these exhaust have been around a while and there is enough feedback out there.

Like others have said, I'd guess any performance gains are marginal and its really all about the sound. When it was first installed it was very aggressive but like all exhaust seems to mellow with the miles. Whether it was a coincident or a function of my tune, I did notice the sound level went down significantly after my 3-stage intake and Tune. There is still a burble off throttle if you're in the right gear and the car pulls perceptively better than it did before.

Since my car now has pretty much all the bolt-ons for the N52 (3stage intake manifold, Euro Intake, Tune and exhaust) I can say there is an improvement in performance, but do not expect big gains. I'd guess less than 20 BHP... not like the gains I saw in my 135 with N54 twin turbo and the cobb access port. Ah the good ol'e days....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #36
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Apologies, I never followed up after the install with comments or feedback. with a 9-10 yo car, I figure these exhaust have been around a while and there is enough feedback out there.

Like others have said, I'd guess any performance gains are marginal and its really all about the sound. When it was first installed it was very aggressive but like all exhaust seems to mellow with the miles. Whether it was a coincident or a function of my tune, I did notice the sound level went down significantly after my 3-stage intake and Tune. There is still a burble off throttle if you're in the right gear and the car pulls perceptively better than it did before.

Since my car now has pretty much all the bolt-ons for the N52 (3stage intake manifold, Euro Intake, Tune and exhaust) I can say there is an improvement in performance, but do not expect big gains. I'd guess less than 20 BHP... not like the gains I saw in my 135 with N54 twin turbo and the cobb access port. Ah the good ol'e days....
No headers though? 🧐🤔
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #37
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
No headers though? 🧐🤔
No additional mods.... found out car is one of three imported as optioned in US, so have decided to stop with any mods that aren't BMW/ BMW Performance. Not that this will ever be a $100k car, but out of respect for what it is and how I use it, I've taken a few steps back on my plans.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #38
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:

your car only has one worth while bolt on for the n52 and is far from all bolt-ons .. that would be the 3 stage intake. You could argue the tune is another one. Exhaust and euro intake are just a waste of money ...

You are missing headers which is the other " big " gain on these NA engines, and Milvs. All 3 together at least 30 whp gain on average , maybe more with a decent tune.

I could argue differential swap is another big one , but you have AWD so I think it is a little more involved than RWD

And no , you can not compare a turbocharge car to a NA car regarding gains.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      04-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #39
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No headers though?
No additional mods.... found out car is one of three imported as optioned in US, so have decided to stop with any mods that aren't BMW/ BMW Performance. Not that this will ever be a $100k car, but out of respect for what it is and how I use it, I've taken a few steps back on my plans.
Quote:
Quote:
No headers though?
fair enough, I respect that in a sense.. I felt the same way when I acquired mine (it's the last batch/run of E8x in the states so it was a one off limited edition) but then realized it would be silly to not tinker and modify my dream car to my heart's content. it's also no where near a daily driver as public transportation is rampant where I'm from.. but also makes every time I drive ever more special

Either way you have it, it still is one of the last great cars BMW has made and we have em!
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #40
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
Quote:

your car only has one worth while bolt on for the n52 and is far from all bolt-ons .. that would be the 3 stage intake. You could argue the tune is another one. Exhaust and euro intake are just a waste of money ...

You are missing headers which is the other " big " gain on these NA engines, and Milvs. All 3 together at least 30 whp gain on average , maybe more with a decent tune.

I could argue differential swap is another big one , but you have AWD so I think it is a little more involved than RWD

Quote:
Quote:
No headers though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
Quote:

he just mentioned as to why he doesn't want to mod further :: facepalm::
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0