E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Finally updating JB4 after 5 years - backend flash?

01-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 LCI 335i xdrive 6MT

Finally updating JB4 after 5 years - backend flash?

Hello,

So I've been running my JB4 for close to 5 years now. I needed to take it out about a week ago to troubleshoot some issues I was having. I believe I solved those by cleaning the CanBus Wires but I figured while the JB4 was out this would be a good time to do some much needed updates and possibly a backend flash. My JB4 has never been upgraded to the ISO firmware and I believe that is where I will start but I am also interesting in learning more about flash tunes that could accompany my JB4.

I haven't been all that active on any of the forums for the past few years and I see that flash options have come a long way since the JB4 was first introduced. I have read up a bit on the MHD flash which many people seem to love. There are some aspects of this tune that I would like to add to my vehicle. Mainly I would like to remove the speed limiter and also add the exhaust burbles. Can I run this MHD stage 2 flash tune with my JB4 installed? Is this different from a "backend flash" tune?

If the MHD can not be ran simultaneously with my JB4 what would be my next best option? Would I still be able to remove my speed limiter and add the exhaust burbles? Also I would assume that I should update my JB4 to the latest ISO before proceeding with any kind of flash tune.

My car:
2011 e92 335i xdrive
BMS Air Intake
BMS Catless Downpipe
Vishnu Chargepipe
AE Exhaust
NO Meth/E85
Car is a daily driver and I would like to keep it as reliable and safe as possible.

I have read around a lot but these tuning threads have gotten so large it's difficult to narrow down the information. If you guys would like to explain the current tuning setup you have and how you personally feel about it that could be a big help. Thanks!
      01-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

I have FBO and the JB4, about a year ago I went with the MHD BEF. Love it! Make it so much smoother and have a few more funtions/better interface. Well worth it, even if you have to buy a new tablet for it. Just make sure you follow the DIYs out there and don't bother with the burble. It sounds cool but my turbos died about a month later. Coincidence, possibly.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
I have FBO and the JB4, about a year ago I went with the MHD BEF. Love it! Make it so much smoother and have a few more funtions/better interface. Well worth it, even if you have to buy a new tablet for it. Just make sure you follow the DIYs out there and don't bother with the burble. It sounds cool but my turbos died about a month later. Coincidence, possibly.
Thanks for the response. So to clarify you still have the option to run the burbles with your current setup but you choose not to? Also did that BEF remove the speed limiter for you?
      01-10-2019, 01:38 AM   #4
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Finally updating JB4 after 5 years - backend flash?

The BEF is downloaded from n54tech.com. The OTS maps (stage 1, 1+, 2, 2+) are completely separate and are only meant to be used without the JB4.

You just download the zip file from n54tech, choose the BEF option in MHD (you'll need to buy the flasher module but not the map packs), and select the correct file from the zip. It gives you most of the same flash options as with the OTS maps (burble, remove speed limiter, etc.).

Just make sure that you set the JB4 to BEF mode after you flash (instructions also on n54tech).

You'll also need to edit the BEF to disable the fault code / SES light for catless DP's (the JB4 doesn't autoclear on the latest firmware which you should update to before you do the BEF). There's instructions on here for how to do that yourself or you can PM me for it.

Hope that helps!

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
Thanks for the response. So to clarify you still have the option to run the burbles with your current setup but you choose not to? Also did that BEF remove the speed limiter for you?
I have no idea about the speed limiter, I've never broke 130 in this car.

Yes, you can control the burbles with the bef.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
The BEF is downloaded from n54tech.com. The OTS maps (stage 1, 1+, 2, 2+) are completely separate and are only meant to be used without the JB4.

You just download the zip file from n54tech, choose the BEF option in MHD (you'll need to buy the flasher module but not the map packs), and select the correct file from the zip. It gives you most of the same flash options as with the OTS maps (burble, remove speed limiter, etc.).

Just make sure that you set the JB4 to BEF mode after you flash (instructions also on n54tech).

You'll also need to edit the BEF to disable the fault code / SES light for catless DP's (the JB4 doesn't autoclear on the latest firmware which you should update to before you do the BEF). There's instructions on here for how to do that yourself or you can PM me for it.

Hope that helps!
When did they add the SES for the DPs? I have just been resetting with the JB4 app whenever it trips. Is there a better way?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Hope that helps!
Thank you! This is exactly the information I was looking for. Now I know my best course of action. Update JB4 to latest firmware and then download and flash the JB4 BEF. This cleared up a lot for me and I appreciate your advice! If I have any issues doing the updates or figuring out the BEF I will reach out.
      01-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Also, Is JB4+BEF what most people with Pure Stage 2 upgraded turbos run? Eventually I will be looking to upgrade to those and dont really want to go thru the hassle of finding a whole new tuning setup.
      01-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Off topic....but how's that AE exhaust? Does it drone?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
Off topic....but how's that AE exhaust? Does it drone?
I love it. Slightly louder than stock under normal circumstances but it really screams when I get on it. Barely any drone unless im cruising between 60-65mph in 6th gear (which isnt often lol). The previous owner added resonators to the exhaust so I can't attest to a virgin AE exhaust but my current setup is great imo.
      01-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
I love it. Slightly louder than stock under normal circumstances but it really screams when I get on it. Barely any drone unless im cruising between 60-65mph in 6th gear (which isnt often lol). The previous owner added resonators to the exhaust so I can't attest to a virgin AE exhaust but my current setup is great imo.
I'll be on the lookout for one of those bastards...I have stock N55 xi exhaust with resonators instead of the cats and straight through AFE mufflers iw/ 4" tips. It's a little too loud for me at the moment still. I'd rather have a more "tame" exhaust unless I get on it.

Thanks dude!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #12
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
I'll be on the lookout for one of those bastards...I have stock N55 xi exhaust with resonators instead of the cats and straight through AFE mufflers iw/ 4" tips. It's a little too loud for me at the moment still. I'd rather have a more "tame" exhaust unless I get on it.

Thanks dude!
No problem. I have never had anyone complain about the noise in my car. People can still hear me over the bluetooth even if I'm racing around so I think its a solid balance. Although, I would love to try the BMW PE exhaust one day.
      06-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
sherazkn
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 323i

Quote:

Hope that helps!
I have a question, is there any way to bef with the burble tune using mhd, and turn it off using jb4 when u go to another map. Is there any way to do that?

My car:

335i 09 n54
MMP catless DP
MMP Chargepipe
TIAL Q BOV
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #14
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

When you load the BEF under options you select the burble settings. Those can only be set at flash time currently.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Quote:

Thanks dude!
Yeah, the AE exhaust is great and sounds awesome. From what I understand it's been discontinued, but when I was looking for an exhaust back in 2009 it was the best sounding exhaust. No drone on the highway really and gives a solid and consistent tone when you're on it.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0