E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > High IATs with 7" FMIC

07-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #23
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
bbnks2

I will clean the sensor today. I will also try to get a proper log to upload for you, but meanwhile, I have this one that I took yesterday after switching the air intake. Note that the engine bay was not 100% cooled and at rest, meaning IATs start high so this is why it's not an excellent log for reference.

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...&zoom=874-1188

Ambient temperatures were around 25 Celcius when I took the log.

I have to be honest with you guys, I use my car a lot and do many frequent stops during the day where the car is turned off and sits for a bit. Between driving to university, job and groceries it is normal that the IATs go up a lot. I was really wondering for a lot of time before posting on here if I am just paranoid and it's simple to heat soaking, but I couldn't believe that it never occurred to anyone else.

As well, if anyone knows how I can ventilate this damn engine bay that gets hotter than dragon breath please let me know.
Inter-cooler seems to be doing a decent job there up until 200kph+

Do the few suggestions above and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #24
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
If anyone knows how I can ventilate this damn engine bay that gets hotter than dragon breath please let me know.
M3 cowl reteofit or this: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961937 and vented CF hood if not enough.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #25
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
M3 cowl reteofit or this: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961937 and vented CF hood if not enough.
Removing or modifying the cowl is not going to do anything for IAT's.

Venting the hood is about the only thing you can do. He honestly just need to test the sensor first before going off on tangents though lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #26
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Just pulled out the tmap and I am cleaning it. I noticed that there is 2 green o-rings on it. I thought it usually had one. Anyone has some more input on this?
      07-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #27
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Alright, cleaned both Tmap sensors and swapped them. I will log later on too see what it looks like.
      07-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #28
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Here is a log with stock air intake. Ambient temperature is 26 Celcius or 78.8 Fahrenheit for you weirdos out there.

I started my day by driving for 15 minutes and going into a restaurant for 30 minutes. I then left for a 30-minute drive and stayed at my first work location for 2 hours. I then did another 30-minute drive to my second work location and stayed there 1.5 hours. Finally I went back home with a 20-minute drive in which I took the log.

I noticed that a lot of times and days I do some frequent stops or itineraries similar to the one above, especially with university and work. So all of this story might just be heat soak. But I still find that my IATs climb too quickly and don't go down enough.

Here is the log, I didn't want to go completely crazy on a day like this, so I tried to get the best info possible without being too stupid.

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...ata=4-10-11-20

I did find a correlation between the IATs and exhaust temperature, but I don't know which one is affecting which. I would say that higher exhaust temps affect IATs in a way that they will also get higher and not really the other way arround, since the combustion won't vary too much with an initial temperature that can have a delta ranging arround 15 Celcius.
      07-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #29
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Here is a log with stock air intake. Ambient temperature is 26 Celcius or 78.8 Fahrenheit for you weirdos out there.

I started my day by driving for 15 minutes and going into a restaurant for 30 minutes. I then left for a 30-minute drive and stayed at my first work location for 2 hours. I then did another 30-minute drive to my second work location and stayed there 1.5 hours. Finally I went back home with a 20-minute drive in which I took the log.

I noticed that a lot of times and days I do some frequent stops or itineraries similar to the one above, especially with university and work. So all of this story might just be heat soak. But I still find that my IATs climb too quickly and don't go down enough.

Here is the log, I didn't want to go completely crazy on a day like this, so I tried to get the best info possible without being too stupid.

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...ata=4-10-11-20

I did find a correlation between the IATs and exhaust temperature, but I don't know which one is affecting which. I would say that higher exhaust temps affect IATs in a way that they will also get higher and not really the other way arround, since the combustion won't vary too much with an initial temperature that can have a delta ranging arround 15 Celcius.
EGT is calculated... there is no egt sensor. Eghuast gas temps arent going to have a big impact on iats either.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #30
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Alright so if EGT is calculated from IAT and other combustion algorithms then we can kind of forget about it.

I did a new log and can confirm that it is not heat soak since it was 6 hours since the car hasn't been driven and that I did the log 15 minutes into my drive without significant traffic stop.

Someone pointed out to me that my STFT is positive most of the time. I tried to look at my older logs and I use to run way richer than right now. Am I running too lean?

I did about 3 short pulls and one proper pull on that log and all within the same 2 minutes. Ambient temperature is 27 Celcius or 78.8 Fahrenheit.

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...97&tmax=889.92
      07-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #31
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Alright so if EGT is calculated from IAT and other combustion algorithms then we can kind of forget about it.

I did a new log and can confirm that it is not heat soak since it was 6 hours since the car hasn't been driven and that I did the log 15 minutes into my drive without significant traffic stop.

Someone pointed out to me that my STFT is positive most of the time. I tried to look at my older logs and I use to run way richer than right now. Am I running too lean?

I did about 3 short pulls and one proper pull on that log and all within the same 2 minutes. Ambient temperature is 27 Celcius or 78.8 Fahrenheit.

7/15/19 - Trims look right on point... AFR is on point. Not sure what you're referring to... Your old logs ran richer than 12-12.5?

The zoomed in pull above starts at 46c (114f) and ends at 58c (136f). You did this pull literally 15 seconds after another 3/4/5 pull. The log looks fairly normal on a car that is doing back-to-back pulls. A bit high, yes, but you didn't upload the entire log either. The log starts at 823 seconds so I am sure you had done a bunch of other partial pulls back-to-back before this small uploaded snippet... Same deal with the previous log you posted:

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...2&zoom=347-425

7/13/19 - Again, trims are on point and so is AFR.

I see that within 100 seconds you tried to do multiple pulls... You only cruised for about 25 seconds between both pulls. in fact, you didn't cruise at all. you just let the car decel back down to highway speed. You would get better cooling between pulls if you hit the brakes and then accelerated modestly back up to 60mph to start your pull. Accelerating moves air through the intercooler which helps remove heatsoak. Off-throttle decel doesn't allow the inter-cooler to cool off. MAF is <10g/s, fuel is cut from the cylinders, and the throttle is closed on decel.

Looks like pretty normal logs considering how you're driving. This log again starts at the 355 second mark so I would assume you did other pulls before this small uploaded snippet as well. Hence why your IATs are so high at the beginning of the log.

Last edited by bbnks2; 07-16-2019 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #32
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post

7/15/19 - Trims look right on point... AFR is on point. Not sure what you're referring to... Your old logs ran richer than 12-12.5?

The zoomed in pull above starts at 46c (114f) and ends at 58c (136f). You did this pull literally 15 seconds after another 3/4/5 pull. The log looks fairly normal on a car that is doing back-to-back pulls. A bit high, yes, but you didn't upload the entire log either. The log starts at 823 seconds so I am sure you had done a bunch of other partial pulls back-to-back before this small uploaded snippet... Same deal with the previous log you posted:

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...2&zoom=347-425

7/13/19 - Again, trims are on point and so is AFR.

I see that within 100 seconds you tried to do multiple pulls... You only cruised for about 25 seconds between both pulls. in fact, you didn't cruise at all. you just let the car decel back down to highway speed. You would get better cooling between pulls if you hit the brakes and then accelerated modestly back up to 60mph to start your pull. Accelerating moves air through the intercooler which helps remove heatsoak. Off-throttle decel doesn't allow the inter-cooler to cool off. MAF is <10g/s, fuel is cut from the cylinders, and the throttle is closed on decel.

Looks like pretty normal logs considering how you're driving. This log again starts at the 355 second mark so I would assume you did other pulls before this small uploaded snippet as well. Hence why your IATs are so high at the beginning of the log.
Yes my other logs had some instances with some 11.50 - 12.00 which is really not that much richer, but I was just wondering if it would make that big of a change, anyways that was on Stage 1 OTS maps.

Yes, I did do a couple of pulls one after another.
I understand that it is my driving behavior largely affecting the heat building up in the engine bay and then intaked, but I never really changed it. I am just wondering why it didn't do this earlier and since I was driving in this style since the beginning. I think it might just be that I did not use to log and monitor as much as nowadays.

Thanks for the info about off-throttle deceleration, I will keep that in mind, because I noticed I do that a lot instead of simply cruising to cool.

Anyways, I am still looking forward to getting meth injection!