E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Blown slave cylinder after clutch install



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
enigma99a
Private First Class
36
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 2018 ZCP M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rocklin, CA

iTrader: (1)

Blown slave cylinder after clutch install

So I have been very careful so far in my clutch install and put in a new throwout bearing & pilot bearing see image of post install here... http://bit.ly/TnDyM1

Got the slave cylinder in and the pedal fell to the floor... And boom it exploded with slight pressure. Dripping brake fluid all over the place. Never
did open the line so didnt think it would need bleeding.

What went wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
idnan's Avatar
England
73
Rep
1,518
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (9)

Looks like you put the slave cylinder in at an angle and it didn't engage with the clutch when you pressed the pedal. The push rod in the slave cylinder pops out and fluid pisses out
Appreciate 1
feuer4256.00
      11-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
88
Rep
1,780
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Looks like you put the slave cylinder in at an angle and it didn't engage with the clutch when you pressed the pedal. The push rod in the slave cylinder pops out and fluid pisses out
Exactly. You missed the release lever with the pushrod on the slave cylinder. It happens. You may be able to push it back together and put the rubber dust seal back on. You'll just have to bleed the clutch. You may be able to get away with topping off the brake fluid reservoir (must be pretty full, at or above the MAX mark) and pumping up the pedal with your hand. You will have to pull the pedal up, wait a second, push down, wait a second, pull up, repeat about 100 times. You will feel the pedal getting firmer if this method is successful.
__________________
RRT
E92 335i/6MT with stuff and things
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
289
Rep
2,898
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Exactly. You missed pumping with your hand. You will have to pull , wait a second, push down, wait a second, pull up, repeat about 100 times. You will feel firmer if this method is successful.
James -



Neil
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2019, 01:41 AM   #5
austin.tillison
Private
11
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Bump. Just did a new clutch and throw out bearing on my 325i e90. after reassembling, my clutch pedal is insanely hard to press down. gonna replace the slave and master clutch cylinder and see if that fixes it
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 03:57 AM   #6
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
479
Rep
1,601
Posts

Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: 2153

iTrader: (0)

Did you pay attention to the self adjusting mechanism on the cover or release the ninja star before installing?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
austin.tillison
Private
11
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Did you pay attention to the self adjusting mechanism on the cover or release the ninja star before installing?
I made sure I had the correct side of the clutch disc facing out

and I removed the ninja star

I just replaced the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder last night

I tried to bleed it for about an hour and the clutch pedal now goes all the way to the floor and has no pressure in it what so ever

any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #8
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
479
Rep
1,601
Posts

Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: 2153

iTrader: (0)

Go and buy a hand vacuum pump bleeder kit. Pull the pedal off the floor, fill the reservoir to the brim and then use the vacuum bleeder. Attach it to the nipple, pump up the vacuum to max, crack open bleeder and suck out 30mL, close nipple and top up the reservoir. Repeat 3-4 times and it should be good.

Did you remove the ninja star before or after you fully tightened the clutch cover bolts? Did the self adjusting mechanism move when you removed the star?
Appreciate 1
feuer4256.00
      03-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
austin.tillison
Private
11
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Go and buy a hand vacuum pump bleeder kit. Pull the pedal off the floor, fill the reservoir to the brim and then use the vacuum bleeder. Attach it to the nipple, pump up the vacuum to max, crack open bleeder and suck out 30mL, close nipple and top up the reservoir. Repeat 3-4 times and it should be good.

Did you remove the ninja star before or after you fully tightened the clutch cover bolts? Did the self adjusting mechanism move when you removed the star?
i bought a pressure bleeder and got it bled

i had the pressure plate installed incorrectly (the plate wasn't lined up with the pins on the flywheel) and I removed the ninja star. It's on there properly now but I'm afraid the teeth of the clutch cover might not be in the right position
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
artoflearning
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Hey man, any update? I just had my worn out clutch replaced 2 Saturdays ago, followed by master and slave because the clutch pedal wasn't working anymore.

Think the slave might have been faulty, or contaminated. OR, I'm thinking now, like you, if the pressure plate was installed incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
bbnks2
Lieutenant Colonel
1159
Rep
1,991
Posts

Drives: 135i N55
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Bleeding the clutch on these cars sucks. I usually push the clutch to the floor and then REVERSE bleed from the slave cylinder. I use the pressure bleeder that advance auto rents out for free. This is the easiest way I've found to successfully bleed the system.

Just make sure you don't overflow the brake fluid reservoir when pushing fluid up to it. Also make sure you don't run out of fluid when using the pressure bleeder. If it empties then you'll be injecting air into the lines...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 07:37 AM   #12
pagedownhere
Enlisted Member
United_States
6
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Delaware

iTrader: (2)

Figured I'd post on here since I just had the same issue as OP. Re-installed my slave and clutch pedal was loose, but had very short range and would not go all the way down. Had to remove and reinstall 3 times to get it to hit the clutch fork. You have to feel the cylinder pushing on the fork when you're installing. If it goes in and you don't feel resistance, you probably missed the fork. I was about to give up after the first 2 attempts until i read this post.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 09:43 AM   #13
bigfwop
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, F15 X35I
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hollywood, FL

iTrader: (0)

I just had this happen to me after the third install. A bit of history: (Recently disconnected brake lines for rear sway install) I then drove for many miles with no issues after brake bleeding. I then tried to move the car one morning and had 0 clutch pressure.

Fast forward to diagnosing day: I uninstalled the slave and had seen fluid within the rubber boot (figured it went bad) I replaced the slave under warranty and then bled the replacement slave outside the car. re-installed and then it blew up. Got a brand new one and bled with a motive bleeder and it exploded for the second time. Just to note: Iíve installed it bleeding the slave externally before however itís such a PITA to thread the nuts to the studs at the same time youíre pushing it in. For this occasion, Every time if installed it I can feel the slave hitting the fork. Im wondering if itís a seized throw out bearing which is causing an overload of pressure. Any ideas? Recommendations?

Addition info: I checked out the fork with a bore scope and it looked fine. After the first slave explosion I tried to push the fork with a socket extension but didnít have enough leverage (I think) I also donít know if itís possible to push it by hand. I feel Iím running out of options. My running theory is that as Iím bolting down the slave itís somehow jumping out of the fork. Alternate theory is that something is critically wrong with the fork/throw-out or pivot bearing.

Next steps, I will likely try and push the fork by hand again to see what sort of feedback I can muster. I will then probably buy yet another slave and monitor the alignment with the borescope. If it explodes again at least Iíll know I need to drop the trans.

Tyia!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 04:08 AM   #14
Bigjake487
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: Bmw 335i
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Tobyhanna, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfwop View Post
I just had this happen to me after the third install. A bit of history: (Recently disconnected brake lines for rear sway install) I then drove for many miles with no issues after brake bleeding. I then tried to move the car one morning and had 0 clutch pressure.

Fast forward to diagnosing day: I uninstalled the slave and had seen fluid within the rubber boot (figured it went bad) I replaced the slave under warranty and then bled the replacement slave outside the car. re-installed and then it blew up. Got a brand new one and bled with a motive bleeder and it exploded for the second time. Just to note: Iíve installed it bleeding the slave externally before however itís such a PITA to thread the nuts to the studs at the same time youíre pushing it in. For this occasion, Every time if installed it I can feel the slave hitting the fork. Im wondering if itís a seized throw out bearing which is causing an overload of pressure. Any ideas? Recommendations?

Addition info: I checked out the fork with a bore scope and it looked fine. After the first slave explosion I tried to push the fork with a socket extension but didnít have enough leverage (I think) I also donít know if itís possible to push it by hand. I feel Iím running out of options. My running theory is that as Iím bolting down the slave itís somehow jumping out of the fork. Alternate theory is that something is critically wrong with the fork/throw-out or pivot bearing.

Next steps, I will likely try and push the fork by hand again to see what sort of feedback I can muster. I will then probably buy yet another slave and monitor the alignment with the borescope. If it explodes again at least Iíll know I need to drop the trans.

Tyia!
Did you figure out what was wrong? Same thing happening to me. The slave popped and broke. Was the pressure plate not installed correctly? Did you just miss the pressure plate, or the clutch disk wrong way? Any answers would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST