E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

11-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #463
Bill06E90
Rep
Drives: 330i with sports pkg

Lifter Ticking Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtype0 View Post
I think most dealerships will give you the same response, best to write to BMWNA. I'm very tempted myself to contact BMW Canada but I don't want to start from the bottom up, need to figure out who would be the best person to contact.
I have been following this thread for some time because my 06 has been ticking ever since last winter, of course, the noise diminished during the summer months and is now louder than ever. I am going to schedule a trip to the dealer this week. Regarding a contact at BMW Canada, I checked the manual and here is the address to BMW Canada:
BMW Canada
920 Champlain Court
Whitby, ON L1N 6K9
Tel: 1-800-567-2691
customer.service@bmwgroup.ca

It also states:
"If you should have questions regarding your BMW's performance, please contact your authorized BMW retailer. It's important that your retailer be given the opportunity to the answer to your question.

Should you require further assistance, you may wish to contact BMW customer service at 1-800-567-2691."

It goes on further, but it looks like the first point of contact is the dealer, and after the bleeding procedure fails (which it will) then hopefully after we bring the cars back, the dealer will take action or we'll be left to contact BMW directly.

I read a great quote in this months motor trend that sums up the anxiety over this problem. "BMW engines, as with Ferraris, are the heart and soul of its cars; it's why you buy a BMW"

I'm prepared for this to be a multi-step process, I'll post the outcome of my first visit to the dealer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #464
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Got my car back Friday morning for the annual low mileage oil change and they also did the insane bleeding procedure since my ticking has increased dramatically over the last 2000 miles. Sure enough, this morning (Saturday) my engine started ticking. Looks like I will be contacting BMWNA as well. I think if you call the Canadian office, I really think you should send a letter as well. I dont know the laws well in Canada, but in the US, a formal written letter seems to carry more weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 03:01 AM   #465
Arrowhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

why do you guys prefer writing a letter to call BMWNA?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #466
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
why do you guys prefer writing a letter to call BMWNA?
I'll probably write a letter and attach some documents to it, such as my service report that says they did the service bulletin of bleeding the engine, etc. Ive been documenting everytime I hear the sound, so I'll attach that as well. I may print out all 22 pages here and send it just for fun as well.

A written letter is more like a formal complaint and some companies require it at times. I may certify it as well when sent. Once I send the letter, I will follow up with a phone call in a week or maybe 2 weeks and then go from there.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #467
dreamk
Banned
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
i think im starting to hear the metal ticking noise. i though it was normal until my friend told me that that is not normal. i cant hear it inside the car the only time i hear it its when the hood its open. maybe its not loud enough bcuz its just starting? do i have to take it to the dealership where i bought my car or i can go to a different one? i have 2800 miles
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #468
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamk View Post
i think im starting to hear the metal ticking noise. i though it was normal until my friend told me that that is not normal. i cant hear it inside the car the only time i hear it its when the hood its open. maybe its not loud enough bcuz its just starting? do i have to take it to the dealership where i bought my car or i can go to a different one? i have 2800 miles
You can take it to any dealership, however some dealerships have different requirements on loaner cars. The next time I hear the ticking, I will take it to a different dealership since the one I go to now (where I bought the car) is giving me the run around. There is an audio file in this thread so you may want to listen to that and see how the sound compares to what you have. This ticking sound is very distinct and hard to confuse with something else.

My ticking sound started somewhere between 4000-4500 miles but didnt pick up alot until 10K and Im at 12.2K now. You could take it to the dealership and have them do the bleeding. It doesnt work but at least starts the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #469
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi Special Edition

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Well, the GM is taking the case to a BMW Canada rep to see where it will fly to. I'm not very optimistic at this point as I feel I will get the polite "sucks to be you" reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #470
06-325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us View Post
OK. Finally I was able to attach one of the sound tracks with ticking noise. If you are wondering about ticking noise listen to it. For those of us who already know what it is it would be very intresting if you can compare it to yours and share your opinion here. Thanks.

PS Before you ask. The sound was taped with car warmed up but before I drove it. Also oil level is at max.

that's the noise I'm talking about!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #471
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Funny, its like -2 degrees and snowing outside and my 07 328xi loaner started ticking too.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #472
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Its gotta have something to do with the cold. Mine only does it during winter... has this been documented already?
      11-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #473
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ladies Wild

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
NO its not a winter issue, I live in Florida and my dealer had to give give me a new car. the dealer did the buy back on my 06 330. Chek previous post and you will see what I did, and who I spoke with.
      11-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #474
Bill06E90
Rep
Drives: 330i with sports pkg

First visit to dealership

Ok, here’s the report from my dealership visit. Firstly, I parked my car in the dealership lot overnight so the service tech would be on-hand for a cold start. I went back in the morning, started the car and wouldn’t you believe the car didn’t tick. The tech was cool though, he said he was familiar with this problem and told me he believed the condition did exist despite the lack of evidence. He suggested they do the “bleeding procedure” just as a matter of due process so there would at least be a record in the system and he also submitted a PUMA case. This is all very anticlimactic, but the most encouraging part of the visit was when the tech told me that BMW is coming up with a “fix” and that he expected it to be available in the spring. By fix I mean replacement parts. I don’t have any other details. But short of buying that 6 speed M5 on the showroom floor, I’d say it was a small step forward.

P.S. My car was really ticking when I went out last night.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #475
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill06E90 View Post
the most encouraging part of the visit was when the tech told me that BMW is coming up with a “fix” and that he expected it to be available in the spring. By fix I mean replacement parts. .
Definitely a light at the end of the tunnel... however small it may be.
      11-12-2007, 02:10 AM   #476
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Definitely a light at the end of the tunnel... however small it may be.
+1
I'll believe it when I get a recall letter or in response to the PUMA.

False hopes are standard on bmw and their dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #477
ets335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I didn't see any sound clips. Is this what people's cars sound like when they say ticking?

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #478
06-325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us View Post
OK. Finally I was able to attach one of the sound tracks with ticking noise. If you are wondering about ticking noise listen to it. For those of us who already know what it is it would be very intresting if you can compare it to yours and share your opinion here. Thanks.

PS Before you ask. The sound was taped with car warmed up but before I drove it. Also oil level is at max.
click on the arrow to access the sound clip.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #479
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Here is my story, not that there is lack of ticking noise stories...

I first notices ticking noise after three weeks I got the car. Scheduled a visit to the dealership and got the usual crap, new magnesium engine, this is normal, etc, etc. That was in May.
Since then noise became more frequent and louder. At first I was saying to my-self to be cool about it and wait for my regular service in April next year and then deal with the issue. But the noise became much stronger and lasts for longer time as well. I could hear it even while driving with all windows closed.
Scheduled another appointment last week to leave the car overnight so that it can be checked in the morning when the noise is most frequent.
When I brough the car I got the same rep giving me the same BS, I was not very happy about that and after taking my voice couple levels higher the guy called for assistant manager.
This time I was promised my car will be checked the next day for few times within 1.5 - 2 hours interval.
No call from service the next day, so I decided to show up there in person.
The rep told me they were unable to repro the problem, so I asked him to join me and do the test together. He also called for one of the mechanics, probably for evidence.
To my luck it was ticking like crazy this time, and the same rep mentioned that he has the same car and it doesn't do this noise. Needless to say he didn't look very proud saying that. This time they left the car for the weekend for "inspection".
I got the call on Tuesday, same rep explained about the PUMA case opened with BMW and they confirmed the noise and normal. For all other details I should talk to assistant manager, which I did.
Assistant manager assured there is nothing wrong with my car and after listening to me bringing hard evidence how it's not happenning with other 3-series, including my loaner, he confirmed that cars do that and some don't, however the noise goes away after 10-15000 km.
He also mentioned valve lifters and how they should settle down with time.
We were on the phone for about 10 minutes, shooting arguments to each other in a very proffesional manner.

In the end what I achieved is that the problem is documented and that they will have to deal with it if it's not gone by the next scheduled maintenance.
Oh, and I got my car washed and a little dent on the right front door

Oil was topped and bleeding was performed as well, but assistant manager clearly stated it wasn't meant to fix the problem.

This whole thing is a big sharade. I love my car, but there is obviously a problem with it and so far I don't like the way BMW is taking care of the problem.

First step should be admitting there is a problem, not covering holes.
They say some cars have the ticking noise and some dont. Shouldn't all 328
be identical in mechnical terms.

I will wait till April next year, hopefully BMW will come to their senses, since I know the problem will not go away.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #480
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Here is my story, not that there is lack of ticking noise stories...

I first notices ticking noise after three weeks I got the car. Scheduled a visit to the dealership and got the usual crap, new magnesium engine, this is normal, etc, etc. That was in May.
Since then noise became more frequent and louder. At first I was saying to my-self to be cool about it and wait for my regular service in April next year and then deal with the issue. But the noise became much stronger and lasts for longer time as well. I could hear it even while driving with all windows closed.
Scheduled another appointment last week to leave the car overnight so that it can be checked in the morning when the noise is most frequent.
When I brough the car I got the same rep giving me the same BS, I was not very happy about that and after taking my voice couple levels higher the guy called for assistant manager.
This time I was promised my car will be checked the next day for few times within 1.5 - 2 hours interval.
No call from service the next day, so I decided to show up there in person.
The rep told me they were unable to repro the problem, so I asked him to join me and do the test together. He also called for one of the mechanics, probably for evidence.
To my luck it was ticking like crazy this time, and the same rep mentioned that he has the same car and it doesn't do this noise. Needless to say he didn't look very proud saying that. This time they left the car for the weekend for "inspection".
I got the call on Tuesday, same rep explained about the PUMA case opened with BMW and they confirmed the noise and normal. For all other details I should talk to assistant manager, which I did.
Assistant manager assured there is nothing wrong with my car and after listening to me bringing hard evidence how it's not happenning with other 3-series, including my loaner, he confirmed that cars do that and some don't, however the noise goes away after 10-15000 km.
He also mentioned valve lifters and how they should settle down with time.
We were on the phone for about 10 minutes, shooting arguments to each other in a very proffesional manner.

In the end what I achieved is that the problem is documented and that they will have to deal with it if it's not gone by the next scheduled maintenance.
Oh, and I got my car washed and a little dent on the right front door

Oil was topped and bleeding was performed as well, but assistant manager clearly stated it wasn't meant to fix the problem.

This whole thing is a big sharade. I love my car, but there is obviously a problem with it and so far I don't like the way BMW is taking care of the problem.

First step should be admitting there is a problem, not covering holes.
They say some cars have the ticking noise and some dont. Shouldn't all 328
be identical in mechnical terms.

I will wait till April next year, hopefully BMW will come to their senses, since I know the problem will not go away.
Same situation. Which dealership did you go to?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #481
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G30 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 530I M Sport   [0.00]
  [10.00]
I had my entire head replaced back in Sep, it is great now.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #482
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Autohaus, which one did you go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtype0 View Post
Same situation. Which dealership did you go to?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #483
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Did you notice any-thing different after head replacement (besides the lack of the irritating noise)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlue View Post
I had my entire head replaced back in Sep, it is great now.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #484
335i_Danny
Casual Observer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Just to clarify, if you bleed the engine every time you hear the tick, are you preventing damage?

I have 2 335i's (e90 with 13k miles, e92 with 500 miles) and both tick only when cold. The e90 ticks a bit longer. The e92 ticks for only a few seconds at start and never again until the engine cools and the oil drains i guess.
Appreciate 0