E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs (5992)

01-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
Nexic
BMW DIY'er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs (5992)

Hello everyone,

To start off, I would like to point out that this is subjective and based off my own experiences.

I have been a silent member here for a few years now, I have a sapphire black 2010 e90 with DPs, VRSF 7" FMIC and lower CP, BMS Methanol System (CM10 and CM5), JB4 map 3, BMS Charge Pipe, and Forge DVs.

About 2 months ago, all 6 of my injectors (original from 2010) failed on me. I had them all replaced and ever since then I had issues with a stumbling/rough idle. Once the car was warm, it was fine. Once I went FBO, I also started to get misfires when short shifting in the 5,800rpm - 6,600rpm range. Par for the course it seems, as many other had the same issues with or without changing all of their injectors. Since it was not happening before the injector issue I was determined to fix it and restore the engine to its smooth and buttery idle it once had.

That being said, I replaced all the plugs with OEM Bosch. I had read many reports of these plugs not working correctly for some, since they were not the "actual" BMW plugs with the BMW logo, but decided I would try them. I was still having issues with the stumbling/rough idle and misfires in the high RPM band. I replaced all the coils next along with the BMW labeled spark plugs. STILL, rough idle and misfires in random cylinders, there was no method to the madness it seemed.

After searching for months and trying to find a solution, I looked to NGK spark plugs. Low and behold, after 2,000 miles, multiple 3rd gear pulls short shifting in the 5800-6600rpm band, and idling until the rpms settled; the issue has been fixed. My car idles so smooth and it pulls like a monster with no hesitation. The plugs do not come pre-gapped and I had to gap them from .027 to .022 (recommended by various sites and threads). I know many have had issues with these same NGK plugs, but from my own subjective experiences they solved my issues.

I wanted to post this to add to the knowledge and let some know there may be a solution to the issues they are having.

Thanks for reading!
2010 335i Sapphire Black - BMS JB4 G5 / RB Turbos / BMS Trunk Meth kit / CM10 and CM5 Nozzle / VRSF Downpipes 3" v2 / VRSF 7" FMIC / BMS Charge Pipe / Forge DVs, Koni Yellow / H&R Sport / Wavetrac LSD / M3 Upper and Lower control arms / H&R sway bars

Last edited by Nexic; 01-23-2015 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Appreciate 0