E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Wet Floorboard After Re-installation of Cowl?

01-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
still in school
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Wet Floorboard After Re-installation of Cowl?

I recently did a lot of stuff under the hood to my e92 335, so I left my cowl off up until I finished everything I needed to do, VCG, OFHG, plugs and etc. Now that I'm finished with all the maintenance under the hood, I decided to put the cowl back on. Upon entering my car after a night of hard rain, I noticed that my floor board was wet, more so on the passenger side. I then inspected the cowl and noticed there was a gap on the plastic panel that touches the windshield. Then I lifted that piece up and noticed the rubber strip that sit in between these two (windshield and plastic panel) has deteriorated. I'm trying to find this item on part websites but can't find it for the life of me. Also, what else should I replace so that it doesn't leak water into my cabin anymore?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

for my pre-LCI E90, it is part # 51137133292 "Supporting Ledge" if you search by VIN on etk, go to vehicle trim, then glazing. I've also seen it called "windshield moulding - lower"

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...SA/51/51_5644/
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
still in school
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, I just placed my order. Did it fix your issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by still in school View Post
Thanks, I just placed my order. Did it fix your issue?
I haven't gotten that far, and I actually have never experienced the wet floor board issue, but I'm clearly getting water in at least to the blower motor...had it out after it started making noise a couple weeks after I bought the car and lubed the shaft pretty extensively. Motor was dead quiet for a while after that...until the shitty weather hit. I expected the lube to be temporary but no way it only quieted for <a month unless more water is getting in there.

My car is an 07 but new to me in October. I really like it, the metal body is dead straight front to back (plastics will need a little paint TLC), and so far its been really easy to work on so I plan to keep it for a while. I'm just replacing all seals and microfilter/cowl parts from the front of the hood to the windshield including everything in between (all those weird side seals and covers and what-not) all at once and being done with it.

Also worth checking, 51 71 8 204 864 "gasket ring" on my car. Its the grommet that seals around the windshield wiper post where it goes through the cowl to attach to the motor. The one on my driver's side is either the wrong part or torn/stretched somehow, it will not fit the hole in the cowl. That creates a pretty significant entry point for water.

Its #9 here. You have to have the hood up to get a good enough look to see if its seating properly or not.

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...SA/51/51_5859/
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
slenser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Have you gotten to this yet? I'm getting water inside my car as well and have checked the usual places (moon roof and door vapor barrier) with no luck. My lower windshield molding is looking pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't gotten to it yet, trying to see if I can hold off until the sub-zero temps subside before I mess with a bunch of plastic parts and break stuff. BUT the part # for the gasket on the windshield wiper mount is WRONG. I ordered it and its not the rubber seal, its like 2 hard plastic pieces that sandwich together, don't know what they are for but they aren't for the driver's side wiper seal.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
still in school
Private First Class
Rep

No, not yet. I just got all the parts. I'll be doing it shortly. In the mean time, I ripped out my front half of the carpet and found where the leak is coming from.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
slenser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Is that under the dash? I think that's where mine is coming in as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
still in school
Private First Class
Rep

yes, passenger side dash. Theres actually another rubber sealing strip that runs under the cowl. I just picked it up from the local dealership for $12. As soon as I reinstall everything. I'll do another garden water hose test and keep you guys updated. It seems like the rubber BMW uses wear out fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
DennyD06
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 SGM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by still in school View Post
yes, passenger side dash. Theres actually another rubber sealing strip that runs under the cowl. I just picked it up from the local dealership for $12. As soon as I reinstall everything. I'll do another garden water hose test and keep you guys updated. It seems like the rubber BMW uses wear out fast.
Thank you !! I've been trying to track down this leak forever .
Appreciate 0