E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Parts needed to replace AC compressor?

02-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep
Drives: 09 E90

Parts needed to replace AC compressor?

I'm buying the parts to have my ac compressor replaced, however I'm not entirely sure what all I need. I'm seeing from different sources that I also need to get in addition to the compressor itself, the ac compressor expansion valve and receiver drier desiccant element, but from other sources I'm seeing that I need the ac expansion valve and the receiver drier accumulator, but no mention of the desiccant element. I'm hoping someone can chime in and tell me exactly what I need in order to replace the ac compressor successfully to prevent future failures.

Last edited by EdmJunky; 02-08-2015 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Fixed grammatical errors.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i

I replaced mine and only replaced the o rings that seal high and low line to compressor itself. I see no reason to replace the drier unless you had a leak in the system
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Isn't the drier part of the condenser? There's an insert with the dessicant inside. I don't think you need to replace it unless you had a leak and lost all coolant or you've left your system open for a long time. It's basically there to catch moisture in your system. But if it was just a compressor swap and then the system was vacuumed and then charged, you shouldn't need to replace all that stuff. They recommend replacing the expansion valve when you replace other components since it can get clogged, but still probably not necessary for you.

I had to replace a condenser a few years back on my 335i due to a leak. They recommended replacing the expansion valve but I didn't, and no problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 05:24 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'll chime in here. So my car lost the compressor at 82,000 miles back in June 2009. Being that the Indys hadn't seen many E90s just 3 years out from it's late 2006 MY introduction, I decided to let a BMW dealer do the repair. I specifically asked for the drier to be replaced because I thought that my compressor failed due to the AC system being "opened" for an extended period when the front end was being repaired from a deer hit I took at 12,000 miles. Anyway, since the repair at 82,000, I've gone now to 275,000 without any other AC work. That's 190,000 miles, which is not bad for an AC system in any car. If I were you, I'd replace the drier; it is the "filter" for the AC system, and because it doesn't add much to the repair price (a bit over $100 for me).

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep
Drives: 09 E90

I'm thinking I may just go ahead and do the drier as it really isn't that much more expensive as you said, but the question still remains on what I need exactly. The drier desiccant, or the drier accumulator?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I had P/N 2 replaced. I think that is all you need for the drier.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0