E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > ISTA wont connect missing obd.ini file

06-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
Benniese90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i e90

ISTA wont connect missing obd.ini file

Ok there are alot of threads about this but not like mine exactly and programs and codes are precise little things so im creating a thread specifically about this issue. I have not solved it and am looking for a solution. If i find a solution i will use this thread to post the solution so that the next man doesnt wind up reading endless threads without an answer.

If anyone has an answer already, please post the answer and lets solve this for everyone in the future who encounters this issue. Thanks in advance to the generous person who posts a working solution.

ISSUE IS THIS:

Downloaded ISTA+, spent 2 days jumping through all of the hoops and hurdles to correctly configure and to extract everything.

Now have ISTA+ running. However, the cable wont connect. I know my cable and drivers are good because I have INPA BMW STANDARD TOOLS with the bimmergeeks cable and its all working great.

I have tried changing the com settings from 1 to 2 to 3 to 9, all not working. I have changed the "remote" interface setting in ediabas.ini file to read "STD:OBD", and still not working.

Now heres the tricky part, RHEINGOLD has no obd.ini file anywhere despite multiple downloads and extractions. Its not here. Also when I open up ISTA, there is only 2 options under the interface section settings and they are:
1. Pass thru tool(SAE J2534), and
2. Dealer organisation icom

All of the guides show an option that says "ediabas standard settings". However that option is not there for me.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
Benniese90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i e90

ISTA+ installation and kdcan cable SOLVED

Ok, so heres what I did. I flat out gave up on that version of ista+ that I paid like $89 for. Yeah...i know, i got scammed and robbed.

I then downloaded a free version from may of 2021 so its recent and up to date. This version is the "ISTA_v4.29.30 - Sedoy Standalone" version. it comes with a loader and all so its super easy and simply a few clicks for an automated installation. It extracts everything for you.

It does take a couple of hours to do its thing though.

Once its done, I did have to change the port settings to COM1 in the device manager and in the ediabas.ini file i had to change "REMOTE" say "STD/OBD" in notepad then saved it. Added the obd.ini file to the same folder as the ediabas.ini file as it was missing as well....not even sure if i needed it but for due dilidence i did it. Then opened obd.ini in notepad and made sure it said "COM1" which it did. then put the instagui.exe on the desktop as a shortcut. clicked on the shortcut and voila......my bimmergeeks cable reads and works like it should with ista now.

And so you know, I have it all installed on an external 1TB hard drive that I can use on whatever laptop i choose to so long as the com ports are sorted out.

I rush ordered the BMW ICOM cable last night so it should show up sometime today and then i will configure that cable as well.

But there you go...if anyone is dealing with that issue then this is how to solve it for FREE!!!! If anyone has any questions about it just ask and i will respond as soon as i can. Im on this site alot so i will see your question and i WILL answer. I hope this is helpful to somebody because this was a pain in the but to figure out.
Appreciate 2
ccfj182.50
      09-14-2021, 10:51 PM   #3
Lamine87
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benniese90 View Post
Ok, so heres what I did. I flat out gave up on that version of ista+ that I paid like $89 for. Yeah...i know, i got scammed and robbed.

I then downloaded a free version from may of 2021 so its recent and up to date. This version is the "ISTA_v4.29.30 - Sedoy Standalone" version. it comes with a loader and all so its super easy and simply a few clicks for an automated installation. It extracts everything for you.

It does take a couple of hours to do its thing though.

Once its done, I did have to change the port settings to COM1 in the device manager and in the ediabas.ini file i had to change "REMOTE" say "STD/OBD" in notepad then saved it. Added the obd.ini file to the same folder as the ediabas.ini file as it was missing as well....not even sure if i needed it but for due dilidence i did it. Then opened obd.ini in notepad and made sure it said "COM1" which it did. then put the instagui.exe on the desktop as a shortcut. clicked on the shortcut and voila......my bimmergeeks cable reads and works like it should with ista now.

And so you know, I have it all installed on an external 1TB hard drive that I can use on whatever laptop i choose to so long as the com ports are sorted out.

I rush ordered the BMW ICOM cable last night so it should show up sometime today and then i will configure that cable as well.

But there you go...if anyone is dealing with that issue then this is how to solve it for FREE!!!! If anyone has any questions about it just ask and i will respond as soon as i can. Im on this site alot so i will see your question and i WILL answer. I hope this is helpful to somebody because this was a pain in the but to figure out.

Hi there i installed the same ISTA_v4.29.30 and i change the port sitting in the device and also Ediabas however i couldn't find the ODB.ini file its missing where i will find that file and how i will solve it . Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 08:44 AM   #4
scellpt
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f20

OBD.ini file

how did you get the obd.ini file, i downloaded ista plus and its also missing the obd.ini.file
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 09:11 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by scellpt View Post
how did you get the obd.ini file, i downloaded ista plus and its also missing the obd.ini.file
ISTA+ requires an operating version of BMW Standard Tools. At least that's the way the "sane" versions that only take ~ 22 GB disk space work. If you have a ~100 GB "Standalone" version, I have NO idea.

The "obd.ini" file is in "C:\EDIABAS\Bin" folder. The BMW Standard Tools and E89 Datens installations (required for functioning Standard Tools/ INPA) install TWO folders to your C:\ Drive: (1) EC-APPS folder 197 MB, and (2) EDIABAS folder 2.18 GB.

If ISTA+ works properly when NOT connected to vehicle, but won't connect with proper K+DCAN Cable, then you need to select "Ediabas default settings" radio button in upper-left of "VCI Config" screen. Here's HOW to do that:
1) At opening ISTA+ Screen, click on spanner icon (wrench) at top icon bar;
2) "Administration" Dialog opens; select "VCI Config" Tab;
3) Select "Ediabas default settings" at top left under "Interface type:"

See attached pdf for links to MEGA downloads that ACTUALLY WORK:
1) BMW Standard Tools;
2) E89 Datens;
3) ISTA+
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References, 220216 Revision.pdf (240.0 KB, 839 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #6
Smookin_Joe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 35d

Newbie here

Help Please!
I am having the identical problem as you,Benniese90, and I would like to know how you got your OBD.INI file which you copied.
After downloading ISTA+ it had no standalone installer so I gave up on that and got a Sedoy Standalone
I don't know what OBD.INI you copied and where it came from.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 10:22 PM   #7
nazb
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

Just an FYI, if you need the obd.ini file, you need to install the BMW standard tools. Then the file will be in C;\EDIABAS/bin/obd.ini

Watch Evan Goyuk's stuff on youtube, he has links in his videos for the tools required.

Good luck all.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 12:40 AM   #8
Smookin_Joe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazb View Post
Just an FYI, if you need the obd.ini file, you need to install the BMW standard tools. Then the file will be in C;\EDIABAS/bin/obd.ini

Watch Evan Goyuk's stuff on youtube, he has links in his videos for the tools required.

Good luck all.
Hi
It has been awhile.
I found complete versions, of Ista, some earlier some later.
They are complete.
Earlier versions do more things that haven't been moved to Ista P.. yet.
I think they were torrents..some were links from other forums.
I bought a spare pc. Install whatever version does what I need...use it. Image drive of pc. Shut pc off. If the next time this version of Ista can't do what I need. I install a different version of Ista, do what I need. Image the pc with the different Ista installed and operating. and shut pc off till I need it. Works great.
Haven't used it in awhile so I can't say what versions I have or had...
I have the images but I might not have original files..things happen..lol
Appreciate 0