E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Reprogrammed IDrive/INav ?

07-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

Reprogrammed IDrive/INav ?

So, I had some issues with my IDrive/INav and BMW (Hassell) reprogrammed the car.
Today I noticed something new-
First, there's a little white checkmark with an 'i' in the middle on the lower left where you change the scale of the map.
Then-
When I wanted to stop navigation, I use to be able to scroll full left, then go up to to 'guidance' and when I hit it, an option of 'Stop Guidance' would appear.
Now.. no longer there!

So.. did they reprogram my car with an older version of the software, a newer version or is something missing from the usual version?

I won't have a chance to go back to my dealership for at least a week.. but now I'm concerned.
Anyone got any info or advice?

Thanks
Motch
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by motch View Post
So, I had some issues with my IDrive/INav and BMW (Hassell) reprogrammed the car.
First, there's a little white checkmark with an 'i' in the middle on the lower left where you change the scale of the map.
Then-
When I wanted to stop navigation, I use to be able to scroll full left, then go up to to 'guidance' and when I hit it, an option of 'Stop Guidance' would appear.
Now.. no longer there!

So.. did they reprogram my car with an older version of the software, a newer version or is something missing from the usual version?

I won't have a chance to go back to my dealership for at least a week.. but now I'm concerned.

Thanks
Motch
I have the new programming also. I have the check mark and can still cancel guidence by scrolling to the upper left hand corner. Make sure you entered a destination then cancel or stop is on the left all the way on the top.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yupe.. have a destination in there.
Last night, drove to a destination and once I got there.. and left, I still had the arrow pointing (split screen/Arrow Direction) pointing behind me when I left.

Went to Full Left turnwhell input, Full Up input, Cancel Destination and no where does it say "stop' like it use to.
It asks-
Resume Guidance
New Destination.

it use to also have
Stop Guidance.

Not there anymore. Worse thing to, is when I go split screen menu, the 'Arrow Guidance' isn't even highlighted. SO frustrating...

motch

PS> Will try and post picture is a day or too..
PPS> Something also missing- I use to be able to go to 'Recent Destinations' just by scrolling to the Guidance screen.. now it's two levels deep to get there. Talk about screwed up!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Hmm. I wonder if this is ISTA/P 2.38. What is the check mark for?
Are you implying that Split Screen Arrow display is no longer?
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Split screen is still available, and arrow mode works fine.

Weird thing is... the system is now alittle different than what I had originally. Before the upgrade/reload, I would hit the voice button on my steering wheel and say "Home Address". The nav would bring up my home address and start guidance.
Now, when I say "Home Address", my home address pops up, but then the system asks me- "Start Guidance?". I have to say "Start Guidance" to start navigating! Didn't have to do that extra step before.
Also, before I could go to 'Last Destinations' with one swipe of the control wheel. Now, it's hidden down one menu.
Still don't know what the little white check mark with an 'i' in it is.. on the lower left corner~

Always
Motch
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Quote:
Still don't know what the little white check mark with an 'i' in it is.. on the lower left corner~
They added a toggle to get rid of the little gray information boxes (upper right when not navigating and upper/lower right when navigating) from the map screen. When you're viewing the map, just press down on the iDrive control knob and the boxes will disappear, allowing you to see the full map. A white hash line will appear in that circle through the letter i, indicating that the information boxes are now hidden. Press the knob again to get them back.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
...Now, when I say "Home Address", my home address pops up, but then the system asks me- "Start Guidance?". I have to say "Start Guidance" to start navigating! Didn't have to do that extra step before...
Always
Motch
Ahh. This is a feature released in 2.36+. It is a result of the new system for creating multi-stopover destinations. You'll notice that the Trip Planner is gone, too. Now you are asked whether to start guidance or continue adding destinations. I like the new feature, but I do not like the added step for the home address shortcut. I often just push the controller down right after iDrive recognizes that I asked for home address. That will start guidance faster.

(I did not realize you had pre 2.36, released Dec 2009.)
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
autoJeff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

I prefer the new multi-route system over the older system. Takes some getting used to. One thing you might not have noticed is that you can see the entire route by pushing the selector left twice to get to the nav menu (I think pressing nav hotkey does the same thing?), then scrolling down to route details. You can take a few actions from that menu.

I also still do have an option for stopping guidance, hidden within the menu at the top of the left sidebar. Don't know why you do not.

If guidance is not currently active, because you reached your prior destination or because you selected Stop Guidance, then I don't have to answer the question about adding a destination or starting a new route. If guidance is active then I get that question. Usually I do not have a route active when I speak, "go home", and it immediately starts routing to my house without having to answer any more questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep

I just have one of the six preset buttons set for my home address. One button press and it takes you home no matter what else the system is doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I just got 2.38. Prior to reprogramming if I was viewing the traffic details I had to push left to get the menu and push right to hide the menu. Now it is just a push left.
      09-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
I just got 2.38. Prior to reprogramming if I was viewing the traffic details I had to push left to get the menu and push right to hide the menu. Now it is just a push left.
By any chance, when you nav to a POI from the database,
then go to the POI listed in the destinations list, is the phone number stored with the POI entry? (Can you dial from dest. list?)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Quote:
Weird thing is... the system is now alittle different than what I had originally. Before the upgrade/reload, I would hit the voice button on my steering wheel and say "Home Address". The nav would bring up my home address and start guidance.
Now, when I say "Home Address", my home address pops up, but then the system asks me- "Start Guidance?". I have to say "Start Guidance" to start navigating! Didn't have to do that extra step before.
I also do not like this change. "Home Address" should not require more than the first step, in my opinion....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

My E90 LCI was just updated from the 9/2008 production software (second week of production) to v39.1.

I have to say - I'm seeing a LOT of changes.....

One thing I do NOT like are the changes to the "Map Arrow" symbology. The original software had these entirely in monochrome (white-on-black). I really liked that look. Now the map arrows are white, but the road edges are in green. This is not as easy to read, and frankly doesn't look as sharp. I'm not sure why they made that change - it's certainly not as cosmetically appealing....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Then-
Now.. no longer there!

Thanks
Motch

This is definitely the newer version of the software. That check is to show/hide the additional info boxes... on my wife's 328 I lost those boxes the first day and thought I broke the car! After getting my 2011 and saw the check & line through check, it all made sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
I also do not like this change. "Home Address" should not require more than the first step, in my opinion....
Just make it a preset button on the dash and then you go home with the quick push of one button.
Appreciate 0