E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2009 iDrive - what bugs fixed in updates?

09-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

2009 iDrive - what bugs fixed in updates?

I have a LCI E90 2009 model. Mine was built on only the second week of production - Sept 2008 build.

I still have the original iDrive software that came in the car. In iDrive the navigation system version is listed as 1.2.8.

I know that there has been at least one update to the nav system software. I want my navigiation system software updated to the latest version, but I do not want to pay. (I am talking about the navigation system software - NOT an update to the maps)

Can somebody please tell me a few bugs in the original software that were fixed in later updates? My understanding is that if I complain about bugs that are fixed in a newer release, they will do a free update.

- I HAVE finally experienced the "shopping cart" bug (where the shopping cart icons show all over the map even when I have selected a different category of POI). I assume that this is one bug that has been fixed.

- I have used both an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4 with the car, and when playing music from the iPhone (through 6FL) and making/receiving a phone call, the music playback pauses during the call, but the playback does NOT resume after the call is complete. I have to cycle the audio power (i.e. press the volume knob) twice to resume playback. I am NOT sure if this bug has been fixed or not.

- Any other bugs that have been fixed that I can refer to?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Brad
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

The shopping cart bug alone should be enough to get the software update completed under warranty, since there is a documented SIB for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

The nav 1.2.8 will not be updated as part of the shopping cart fix.
The shopping cart fix will be in the ISTA/P software update which I think is 37.x at the moment.

Your entire car will be updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help.

The dealer is not being helpful. They have the car, and they told me that the shopping cart fix is part of the "Navigation map disc update", which I need to purchase for $368.

I'll try to redirect them to the ISTA/P software.

Can someone please tell me some way to reference the SIB so that I can get the shopping cart (and other bugs) fixed through ISTA/P upgrade?

I understand that map data is NOT a free upgrade - and that is not what I'm trying to get. I just want bug fixes to the car's software (which includes iDrive)....

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

SI B 65 04 09
Audio, Navigation, Monitors, Alarms, SRS April 2009
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Shopping Cart Icons Displayed Permanently

MODEL
E82, E88 *(1 Series) from September 2008

E90, E91, E92, E93 *(3 Series) from September 2008

E60, E61 *(5 Series) from March 2009

E63, E64 *(6 Series) from March 2009

F01, F02 *(7 Series)

*with option 609 (NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL, CIC)

SITUATION
The shopping cart icon is permanently displayed in the navigation map display in scale 400 feet and below, even when the setting for display points of interest (POI) is set to "No Points of Interest".

When scale 800 feet and up is selected, it is not displayed.

CAUSE
Software issue in the Car Information Computer (CIC)

INFORMATION
Do not replace parts! Please explain the cause of the problem to the customer. This Service Information will be updated as soon as an improvement is available.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Information only
cobradac is offline Report Post Reply With Quote
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you so much for the SI B number.

Unfortunately the SI B text above does not explain that recent ISTA/P software fixes the problem. The post above says there is no fix yet. (I understand that it's an old SI B before there was a fix)

If they look up the SI B now will it be updated with instructions to update the ISTA/P to fix?

Believe me - if I don't tell these guys EXACTLY what to do, and direct them to proof, they'll never find it themselves.....

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK, the dealer managed to find the SI B, and they upgraded the car's software. In the end, all I needed to tell them was that there was an SI B on it, and they took it from there. I was a little annoyed that they didn't even search for an SI B without me prompting them, and wanted me to spend almost $400 on a map update which would not have fixed the problem, but oh well....

The message I got, which was somewhat incomplete, is that they upgraded the car's "DME" and something else (I think he said "CIC" but I'm not sure - he never used the term "ISTA/P"), and that it's up to "version 39.1" now.

I'll see if there is a way to check the car's software version when I pick it up, although I never had any luck getting into the service menu when I tried it a few times a year ago (following the official BMW instructions somebody posted here)....

Last edited by bsd107; 09-29-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK, so according to the documentation on my car's service, my car was updated to 39.1. That must now be the most up-to-date version.

I have no idea how to check the various software versions myself, as I could on my E39.

Anyway.... my car was produced 9/2008, and it was the second week of LCI production, meaning I got one of the very first issues of the iDrive software.

I have to say that I've noticed tons of changes between what originally shipped with the car and 29.1.

E.g. a few things I've noticed so far:
- the text on the warning screen when you first turn on the car now only fills the left have of the screen instead of going all the way across, which frankly now looks like it was badly formatted
- The animations on screen transitions seem to have changed - just as quick, but more detailed
- When PDC is activated, screen symbology shows that hints to you that you can get the screen back by using the iDrive knob. This is nice to be indicated, but it looks kind of hacked - the old screen looked nicer.
- The Telephone screen when making a call is MUCH better - takes half the screen, shows more info, and has more shortcut icons. The original Telephone screen when making calls was really poor - it looked nice, but took up the whole screen and didn't "yield" to other screens. On the original setup, I've literally missed exits when the phone would ring just as the navigation system would display that I should exit - the old telephone screen would simply cover everything up. (I assume the new Telephone screen does not do that anymore).
- some of the map options are improved (others have discussed this at length).

ANNOYANCE: One bug that STILL has not been fixed is the broken pause/resume feature when controlling an iPhone through 6FL when a call comes in.

When listening to the Music Collection, if you make a phone call, the music pauses for the duration of the call, and when the call is terminated, playback resumes.

When listening to the Radio, if you make a phone call, the Radio mutes for the duration of the call, and when the call is terminated, the Radio is unmuted resumes.

BUT, when listening to an iPhone through 6FL, if you make a phone call, the music pauses for the duration of the call, and when the call is terminated, music playback is NOT resumed. The little "muted speaker" icon is NOT displayed, which indicates that the car believes that it has resumed playback of the iPod device. I have to push the volume knob on the dash to "turn off" playback, then when I push the volume knob on the dash a second time, iPod playback resumes.

My car has done this since I received it, and even with the software update it still does the same. I was really hoping that this would have been fixed by now, but clearly it has not.

I've had this same behaviour with an iPhone 3G with all versions of iOS, and also my iPhone 4, with all versions of the iOS for that device. So, I don't think it's a bug in the iPhones.

I'm sure I'll learn many more differences in the car's "new" software. Nice to see some new features, not so nice to see that some of the screens are not as "clean", and bad to see that some of the most blantant bugs still exist.....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
DaveC03
DaveC
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D (F30 LCI)

Dealer Won't update Sat Nav

Hi Guys,

I have a Sept 2008 330d with the CIC professional system which frustrates the hell out of me. When using the Sat Nav it rarely sends me down the best route. In fact, testing it on my home route it tells me to turn right at a "T" junction (distance to destination 14 miles) when by turning left, the destination is only 4 miles - it doesn't matter what route type is set. (Note: My £50 after market sat nav is 100% more accurate!)

I have been to my dealer who says there isn't a problem and wants £160 for the upgrade. BMW customer service were even less helpful stating that the Sat Nav is only for "guidance" and shouldn't be heavily relied upon !!! They then suggested that I contact Navteq !!! I think the best course of action is to replicate the shopping cart bug, but not sure how to do this - can anyone explain the settings I need to choose? Thanks for any advice,

Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC03 View Post
I think the best course of action is to replicate the shopping cart bug, but not sure how to do this - can anyone explain the settings I need to choose?
While displaying the Map, go into Options and select to display one or more Points of Interest categories, but do NOT select "Shopping".

If you then zoom in the map almost all the way, you should see the shopping car icons showing, even though you have set the options to NOT do this.
Appreciate 0