E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Where are these features?

10-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Where are these features?

I stumbled across bmw.com/update after reading a few things, and it had looked like users were able to "update" software using USB memory sticks - fantastic... but looks like no lovin' for the e90?!

What's up with that?

Also, it mentions this:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/navigation/pia.html

Personal profile manager... I can't seem to find this on my car either. Anyone have this feature? Is it europe only?

I'd appreciate the input
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
As a side note BMW USA is going to contact me regarding this for anyone else interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
jfoulks
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Is this part of the ConnectedDrive enhancements? Took delivery of new 2011 September production 328i xDrive on Tues (metallic paint, value package, premium package, sport package w/paddle shifters, automatic, heated steering, navigation, smartphone integration, split rear seat and satellite radio and it has the the 6vc combox), but I'm starting to think there is more to ConnectedDrive?

http://bmw.connecteddrive.info/index.html

On this site you can narrow to your car and country and see what features are supposed be part of ConnectedDrive, when you select 3 series sedan and USA, Software Update via USB is one of the features that comes up under "Comfort", as well as Driver Profiles.

Although you can select USA, I'm starting to wonder if this is all even available in the US at this time? Is there an additional fee, some of the features indicate they required "one off BMW ConnectedDrive activation"? There really isn't much in the owners manual detailing much of what is reported on the above website. I'm planning on calling BMW Customer Service today and will post with what I find, but would be interested to hear back with any information you are able to find.

Thanks

Last edited by jfoulks; 10-08-2010 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
I stumbled across bmw.com/update after reading a few things, and it had looked like users were able to "update" software using USB memory sticks - fantastic... but looks like no lovin' for the e90?!

What's up with that?

Also, it mentions this:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/navigation/pia.html

Personal profile manager... I can't seem to find this on my car either. Anyone have this feature? Is it europe only?

I'd appreciate the input
The USB software updates is only for phones compatibility profiles with OEM Bluetooth, not for car software updates. This will be available at least for Europe from production 04/11.

If a feature that you find on bmw.com is not on bmwusa.com then it is not for the USA at least initially.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The USB software updates is only for phones compatibility profiles with OEM Bluetooth, not for car software updates. This will be available at least for Europe from production 04/11.

If a feature that you find on bmw.com is not on bmwusa.com then it is not for the USA at least initially.

Despite that, the literature and the press release seems to point in the other direction.

I have a press release from Woodcliff Lake NJ stating these features are available... and which vehicles they're available on.

Just a little annoyed about a bit of deception. I figured grabbing an 2011 would have meant no feature changes until the F30, but clearly they couldn't wait for a mid 2011 lifecycle addition...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Despite that, the literature and the press release seems to point in the other direction.

I have a press release from Woodcliff Lake NJ stating these features are available... and which vehicles they're available on.

Just a little annoyed about a bit of deception. I figured grabbing an 2011 would have meant no feature changes until the F30, but clearly they couldn't wait for a mid 2011 lifecycle addition...
If you are referring to the July 9, 2010 bulletin then that was superceded to show that the USB-update feature is from 04/11.

This feature should be -no pun intended- part of a future software update as long as you car is equipped with the Combox, as this new module is supposed to be designed to be able to keep up with the cell market.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Interesting...
Appreciate 0