E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Canada Classifieds Section > FLASH Tunes available in GTA

05-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #23
MarkD
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 74 tii, 93 M5 x2, 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkinny View Post
how is mileage/fuel efficiency on 335i after tune
It depends how you drive it. At part thottle it can be similar to a stck car or be slightly better, but when you are putting out more than stock power it will use more fuel as more torque has to come from more fuel and more air.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #24
MarkD
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamadobo View Post
Whats the name of this flash and how does it compare to others?
We'll call it the MarkD tune as although it is coming from a tuner in Europe, it has some small customisations for me, plus I can get whatever I want done if required. He supplies files for some well known brands in Europe and they sell for over 1000 Euros per car there. So you are getting a well developed file for less than it would cost if you were in Europe. There is only so much you can safely do with a stock car, and most high quality flash tunes are going to converge on similar results. In the end it all comes down to marketing, and how much you think you can charge. I'd rather sell more tunes and make a bit less on each one. So if you are wondering how it compares to a GIAC race tune for example, the tune I can supply for catless downpipes etc would be similar. You will notice if you compare that all tunes will be between 70 and 80 hp. Trust me, if it was not a very desirable tune to have, I would not be trying to sell it. Google "MarkD chip" and see my reputation for the OBD-1 chips I have developed myself and sold for many years. I've also developed files for many OBD-2 cars myself but for this latest generation, I decided to use someone who has tuned many N52 and N54's, and has bought the expensive DAMOS files that tell him where all the maps are. I hope that answers your question. One last thing, the way that a flash tune drives in real life is not something you can see from a dyno run. You have to drive it to appreciate that.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #25
MarkD
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF12 View Post
I have no idea what this flash tune is about!!
Is this reversible in case of problems?
Does it affect emission testing?
I'm interested to know more.

I've been looking into adding power to my 06 330xi AWD sedan, but never thought about this. Maybe it doesn't work for my car. Just 335-s.

I've heard of BMS Power box and was thinking about it.

Please advice. thx.
Yes it is reversible but I doubt you will need to do that. If you did, I could set it back to stock if required.
All the cars I have done have visited the dealer without problems.

It should still pass emmisions as they don't check it at speeds and loads/boost levels where it could possibly fail. These are very clean motors in normal use.

If you have further questions, you may find the answers further in the thread or just ask.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #26
MarkD
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol View Post
You cannot compare a flash tune to a piggyback system....day and night difference.

Flash is alternative, not additional.

Our cars will learn piggybacks overtime...I'm sure most PBX owners will agree that the PB is not as big of a difference compared to when you first installed it. Piggyback is like cheating your ECU, whereas a flash is actually re-writing your map.

The power gains from a flash will stay consistent.....

A dealership will not erase your flash tune and put it back to stock - it takes way too much time...so unless you are in for some major work, I doubt the dealership will even read your ecu directly.... As you see from Mark's post, reading takes 1.5 hrs...

AA is a flash tune as well. I had the AA tune in my old E90 and loved it....day and night difference compared to PBX is the only way I can describe it.

Another analogy is like comparing a GIAC/Dinan tune vs JB/Procede on a N54.
Both have pros and cons.

Mark, correct me if my statements are not true and not helping
You are basically correct, thanks for answering. A true ECU tune is always technically the better way to go. That is because the ECU is properly being programmed with new operating parameters, not tricked into thinking boost is lower than it is etc. That allows better overall control of the controlled process. I have worked in control systems development for many years, so know quite a bit about controlling various processes, and also how a piggyback ECU works but it's not the route I'd take for any car I own. The have some perceived advantages, such that they can be installed by almost anyone without the equipment required to load a flash tune, and can be removed by the user. And if you have a very radical car, currently they may have a slight advantage but I plan to see what I can provide for those cars later. Right now, I have flash tunes for the mods that 98% of the owners have.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #27
MarkD
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwan18 View Post
What's the gain on HP? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to tuning, so the dealer wouldn't know a tune has been installed? I'm just worried about warranty issues.
around 70 hp on most auto cars and 80 on a 6MT, if a regular 335i. I am hoping to dyno a 335iS here soon, as when 335isGuy dyno'd his he says he got some very high numbers, so I want to take it to Champion soon for a re-test.

The reason that auto cars are tuned differently is that they have a computer in the transmission that can put the car in limp mode if it sees too much torque. Ask me how I know!

The dealers don't go looking for your tune unless you have big issues. All the cars I have flashed in the GTA are going in for regular service plus recalls and everything is going fine. I have not removed any tunes for dealer service. They work so well that they don't draw attention.

I won't be answering here till Saturday afternoon as I have two E9x cars to flash on Saturday. But I am available by email.

Mark

Last edited by MarkD; 05-28-2011 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #28
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwan18 View Post
What's the gain on HP? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to tuning, so the dealer wouldn't know a tune has been installed? I'm just worried about warranty issues.
technically no, unless they took your car on a test drive. They would learn very quickly after that. I'm pretty sure a lot of the mechanics wouldn't care, it's the people above them.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #29
jkwan18
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
around 70 hp on most auto cars and 80 on a 6MT, if a regular 335i. I am hoping to dyno a 335iS here soon, as when 335isGuy dyno'd his he says he got some very high numbers, so I want to take it to Champion soon for a re-test.

The reason that auto cars are tuned differently is that they have a computer in the transmission that can put the car in limp mode if it sees too much torque. Ask me how I know!

The dealers don't go looking for your tune unless you have big issues. All the cars I have flashed in the GTA are going in for regular service plus recalls and everything is going fine. I have not removed any tunes for dealer service. They work so well that they don't draw attention.

I won't be answering here till Saturday afternoon as I have two E9x cars to flash on Saturday. But I am available by email.

Mark
Thanks for the info! I'm interested in the gain in HP for a 335is. Since the engine is tuned from factory at 320 HP, does that mean your tune will give out less increase in HP? It's for a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #30
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
Thanks for your insight on this Daniel. I am well aware of the differences between a flash tune and a piggyback.

I for one disagree that "the PB is not as big of a difference compared to when you first installed it". The best way I can describe it is...if you don't mind me using your words "day and night difference".

You are correct when you say "A dealership will not erase your flash tune and put it back to stock...it takes way too much time...so unless you are in for some major work". Where you are incorrect is on the amount of time it takes to read the ECU. It takes no longer than 20min to read the ECU. Trust me on this one Kol, I have seen it done many many times (I worked at a BMW dealership remember? The one that's 2min from where you live :-)

Having said all that, lets get back to the questions I asked Mark. Simple questions...all I ask are simple answers. A "yes" or "no" would suffice...I don't need another lecture on how safe or how much you love the tune...or what-have-you the flash tune is compared to the PBX. I just want to hear from Mark and if possible the reactions/feedback from the 330i's that have been tuned by this flash. What would be nice is to have some of these 330i's that have been tuned by Mark's flash to come to Farley's dyno meet at Champion and compare it against my pulls running the PBX.

For all those reading this post, please don't get me wrong. I'm not here to piss anyone off or slam the tune or say anything negative about Mark's tune. I don't know enough about it that's why I asked the questions I did. I applaud Mark for offering his service/product to us. I won't upgrade or change anything I currently have just for the sake of doing something...basically, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

I'll leave it at that and look forward to hearing from Mark.

Thanks.

Wil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol View Post
You cannot compare a flash tune to a piggyback system....day and night difference.

Flash is alternative, not additional.

Our cars will learn piggybacks overtime...I'm sure most PBX owners will agree that the PB is not as big of a difference compared to when you first installed it. Piggyback is like cheating your ECU, whereas a flash is actually re-writing your map.

The power gains from a flash will stay consistent.....

A dealership will not erase your flash tune and put it back to stock - it takes way too much time...so unless you are in for some major work, I doubt the dealership will even read your ecu directly.... As you see from Mark's post, reading takes 1.5 hrs...

AA is a flash tune as well. I had the AA tune in my old E90 and loved it....day and night difference compared to PBX is the only way I can describe it.

Another analogy is like comparing a GIAC/Dinan tune vs JB/Procede on a N54.
Both have pros and cons.

Mark, correct me if my statements are not true and not helping
BMS PBX/full OEM M-Tech/Perf SSK/Perf strut bar/Perf exhaust/Perf steering wheel/Perf CF trunk spoiler/Perf Handbrake lever/AFe Stage 2 intake/Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors all around/Powerstop Carbon Ceramic pads/M3 front Control Arms/SS brake lines/Koni Yellows/H&R sport springs/Pilot Super Sports all around/PIAA angel eyes/matte black grills/CF splitters/20% tints all-around
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #31
MarkD
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB6UB9ok View Post
Where you are incorrect is on the amount of time it takes to read the ECU. It takes no longer than 20min to read the ECU. Trust me on this one Kol, I have seen it done many many times.
I doubt you ever saw an ECU actually being READ as the dealer tools do not read the full contents of the FLASH memory in the CPU. They can be written in 20 minutes but reading takes longer for some reason. This is most likely because when the tool I use READS the ECU, it makes a complete backup of the ECU so it can be restored to it's exact original state. That means it reads and stores not only the calibration area, but all the executable code.

The dealer tools can interrogate the software version, diagnostic codes, and perform software updates but there is no requirement to read out an ECU.

Plus, I don't use the same tools as the dealer does so it may be possible that mine take longer. What I do know is that the tools I use are regarded as the best and most reliable ones available. It is made by CMD TEC in Italy.

Quote:

I just want to hear from Mark and if possible the reactions/feedback from the 330i's that have been tuned by this flash. What would be nice is to have some of these 330i's that have been tuned by Mark's flash to come to Farley's dyno meet at Champion and compare it against my pulls running the PBX.

For all those reading this post, please don't get me wrong. I'm not here to piss anyone off or slam the tune or say anything negative about Mark's tune. I don't know enough about it that's why I asked the questions I did. I applaud Mark for offering his service/product to us. I won't upgrade or change anything I currently have just for the sake of doing something...basically, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

I'll leave it at that and look forward to hearing from Mark.

Thanks.

Wil
I will contact the owners of the two 330's and ask them to post some feedback here. I am quite sure that both are not on this board.

I also want to get the two 330's I did on the dyno, but that is hard to arrange. I think the one I did last year has been traded in. Both are automatics. If someone has a 330 6MT and wants to test a tune and go to the dyno, I'll arrange something with you. The first thing that comes to mind is that I could put a tune in and you can dyno it, we don't have to wait for the dyno day plus I'd rather do it sooner that later. I will let you have it at 30% off the regular price. (which for normally aspirated cars is $725 + HST) I will also pay for the dyno at Champion Motors. If you don't want it, I'll just re-flash the car to stock and refund your purchase. Who is up for that deal? I'll offer this to three 330 owners and two x28 owners, preferably with 6MT.

If you are interested in this deal, I'd proceed as follows:

1) Read car and re-flash, collect funds (30% off $725 = $508+ HST)

2) you drive the car for 800 to 1000 km's.

3) go to CHAMPION Motors for dyno pulls, I will cover the cost (RWD cars ONLY)

4) decide if you want the tune or not. If no, I will revert the ECU to stock and give you a refund.

Will, I hope I answered your questions. If not please just post the ones I may have missed again. I had answered most of the questions around 3:30 am on Saturday and may have missed something.

And don't forget to have a look at the video of a 335is DCT I did last year which came in 2nd at Targa Newfoundland. You can see the signs on the car mentioning my tune.

The dyno at Champion is a 2WD one, currently I have not got an easy way to dyno AWD cars as the quotes I have been getting from the two places I called are all $175 and up.

Last edited by MarkD; 05-30-2011 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: mentioned that I can only dyno 2WD cars at Champion
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #32
Darin911
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: First E92 to E90 conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkinny View Post
how is mileage/fuel efficiency on 335i after tune
the mileage is amazing!!! way better than b4!
      05-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #33
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

I thought entrants into the Newfoundland Targa were required to have roll cages???
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #34
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

MarkD,
To add to the questions in the quoted post, Focusing on NA owners, i drive a 328 manual and have been thinking the AA tune, but will consider yours if we get more info.

For the NA cars, how does this tune compare to the AA tune? this tune is also more pricey than the AA tune.

- how does it compare to AA tune?
- what are the benefits of the tune for the NA'ers (hp/torque/fuel econ/throttle response/etc)
- warranty or possible number of reflashes in price
- required to reflash after mods install? say the intake and exhaust after tune?
- any foreseable software update releases? for what? when?
- how long is the flash?
- any cons for this flash?

Quote:
Hey Mark,

Got any answers for AKF12's questions? I also drive an E90 330i. Been running the BMS PBX for over a year now and have no complaints whatsoever.

You stated that you have flashed a few 330's...what were the results? I'd be interested in seeing some dyno sheets (if any) as "butt-dyno's" just don't cut it.

I'm sure you're familiar with what the BMS PBX does for us N52 guys...how is your tune different from a "piggy-back" type/style of tune? Increase timing (if any)...if so, how many degrees? Increased throttle response? VANOS? Pro's & Con's (if any)? Also, do you offer 1 or 2 free "re-flashes" incase the dealer overwrites the software when the car is brought in for service.

I look forward to hearing your answers.

Thanks.

Wil
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #35
Darin911
Captain
Canada
Rep

I have the MarkD tune. And had so much fun on the track with it yesterday !! While my friend with JB4 not soo much cuz he kept hitting LIMP mode and codes came up. While i was CODE FREE ALL DAY!
      05-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #36
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin911 View Post
I have the MarkD tune. And had so much fun on the track with it yesterday !! While my friend with JB4 not soo much cuz he kept hitting LIMP mode and codes came up. While i was CODE FREE ALL DAY!
how hot is the engine getting? I have an extra oil cooler going into my car, so it doesn't really bother me, but i know there will be some people questioning this if they are going to be tracking the car like yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #37
Thussy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I had the COBB Stage 1 91 on all day yesterday, and didn't limp either. In terms of temperatures, the warmest I got was a tad over 120C after ~10 back-to-back laps.

In terms of application of the tune, how does it differ from what the COBB AP does? How is it undetectable? Once AccessTuner Pro has been released, could a MarkD tune be applied by the AP?

I'm excited to see another tuning option available, especially a local one!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #38
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Mark if you become a Cobb pro tuner I'm game..already have the AP and can use it to switch maps and datalog..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #39
ben330i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2008 x5

330i owner tuned by Mark

Quote:
I doubt you ever saw an ECU actually being READ as the dealer tools do not read the full contents of the FLASH memory in the CPU. They can be written in 20 minutes but reading takes longer for some reason.

The dealer tools can interrogate the software version, diagnostic codes, and perform software updates but there is no requirement to read out an ECU.

Plus, I don't use the same tools as the dealer does so it may be possible that mine take longer. What I do know is that the tools I use are regarded as the best and most reliable ones available. It is made by CMD TEC in Italy.

I will contact the owners of the two 330's and ask them to post some feedback here. I am quite sure that both are not on this board.

I also want to get the two 330's I did on the dyno, but that is hard to arrange. I think the one I did last year has been traded in. Both are automatics. If someone has a 330 6MT and wants to test a tune and go to the dyno, I'll arrange something with you. The first thing that comes to mind is that I could put a tune in and you can dyno it, we don't have to wait for the dyno day plus I'd rather do it sooner that later. I will let you have it at 30% off the regular price. (which for normally aspirated cars is $725 + HST) I will also pay for the dyno at Champion Motors. If you don't want it, I'll just re-flash the car to stock and refund your purchase. Who is up for that deal? I'll offer this to three 330 owners and two x28 owners, preferably with 6MT.

3) go to CHAMPION Motors for dyno pulls, I will cover the cost

4) decide if you want the tune or not. If no, I will revert the ECU to stock and give you a refund.

Will, I hope I answered your questions. If not please just post the ones I may have missed again. I had answered most of the questions around 3:30 am on Saturday and may have missed something.

And don't forget to have a look at the video of a 335is DCT I did last year which came in 2nd at Targa Newfoundland. You can see the signs on the car mentioning my tune.

Hey Mark,
Thanks for hunting me down. I can attest to the immediate and gradual performance improvement in my 2006 330i after I had you do the computer tune. It is a manual too btw. I can answer any questions that these guys have. Also I have recently sold the car to my brother and bought a 2008 X5 3.0. (had a baby). So I still have access to the car anytime if you wanted to put in on a Dyno.
On a side note I wanted to ask you about my X5...very similar engine to my 330, maybe we could discuss a re-flash? let me know.
Ben
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #40
edvc520
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
I doubt you ever saw an ECU actually being READ as the dealer tools do not read the full contents of the FLASH memory in the CPU. They can be written in 20 minutes but reading takes longer for some reason. This is most likely because when the tool I use READS the ECU, it makes a complete backup of the ECU so it can be restored to it's exact original state. That means it reads and stores not only the calibration area, but all the executable code.

3) go to CHAMPION Motors for dyno pulls, I will cover the cost

i would be interested, i have a 330xi
But how much hp/tq increase should I expect?
and will the gas mileage be worst?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #41
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
Again how much is it for 328? and what are the gain, and did anyone install it yet?

Sorry i barely read the thread :P that 30% of got me interested
      05-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #42
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Ownage, read post 31
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #43
Darin911
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
how hot is the engine getting? I have an extra oil cooler going into my car, so it doesn't really bother me, but i know there will be some people questioning this if they are going to be tracking the car like yourself.
it was a little above 120
      05-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #44
jim.e.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

Mark this may be a silly question, but do you offer tunes for the 323i?
Appreciate 0