E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Suspension Clunking/Rattle

02-08-2023, 11:05 PM   #1
steven08coupe92
Rep
Drives: 08' BMW e92 328xi 6mt

Rear Suspension Clunking/Rattle

I'm getting this clunk/rattle from the rear suspension. 08 328xi e92 manual
I both rear shocks and one of the lower shock mounts just a few months ago. The upper shock mounts seemed to be in good shape. The bushings/mounts/washers are all in the correct order and nice and tight. I was under this car on a lift recently and everything seems really solid, all rust-free and strong.
I'm thinking the culprit is either the sway bar end link or maybe the upper shock mount. I uploaded this video of the noise.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JA7ZGPkfA2Y?feature=share

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 02:46 PM   #2
baz2crazy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 335D LCI

Ive had a bonging similar sound for a while and found it to be around 1mm of play between the shock shaft and metal top hat that sits on top of it.

Both shocks werent rebounding/moving with the chassis and the little bit of wear in the bushes allowed for a bit of play in the assembly.

I narrowed it down by opening the boot and bouncing the rear of the car down quickly.

Allbeit yours sounds worse..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
steven08coupe92
Rep
Drives: 08' BMW e92 328xi 6mt

The ending problem was play in the shock. The entire shock would twist when I tighten the bottom nut. They are monroe shocks so they have a little hex keyway to stop the shock shaft from rotating, of course...it snapped.
I was able to use a strong dewalt impact and just drive home the nuts on bottom and top of shock. The noise is gone now but we will see how long it stays that way. I really hate the design of the Monroe vs the oem bmw ones.
Appreciate 0