E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Hand or Parking Brake sticking

04-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
sonora3
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320i the gold one ;)

Hand or Parking Brake sticking

Hi, new to the BMW world and new car woe's

I bought a 2006 320i Touring E91, a couple of months ago, and its developed (or was there and i didn't notice it on the test drive) a really strange brake problem. I hope those more experienced in BMW brakes can offer some suggestions as to what could be going on.

I understand that the handbrake is drum and shoe.

The problem:

Handbrake on facing down hill, car dips at the rear, handbrake goes on and sticks when i take the handbrake off. So when i drive off i can hear and feel resistance, its on and doesnt move. No matter of how much 'shocking' of the handbrake i do, it stays on.

Weirdly, the moment the car rolls backwards or is put in reverse the handbrake releases. Instantly.

Facing uphill it tends not to stick. it has had its moments, but generally releases once the car rolls back a little.

Mechanics have scratched their heads on this one, i can only think its something like a spring not unspringing or the cable being sticky or... some weird geometry with the backwards thing.

Thoughts and options greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

My assumption is that the hand brake has been used a lot and because of it the back plate that hold the brakes shoe in place has worn out in such a way that flexes and the shoes go little sideways so they tend to stuck when released.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 02:17 PM   #3
hi rpm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe

I'm having a similar issue. After using the parking brake, there's often resistance and squeal, and the only thing that always fixes it right away is applying the parking brake when moving in reverse, then releasing it. It took me a while to figure out it was the parking brake, and now I just want to know what to do about it. Lube something, replace the shoes entirely?
Appreciate 0