E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni special actives on SE suspension

09-26-2022, 04:35 PM   #1
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

Koni special actives on SE suspension

Here in the uk the e92 se don't have sport suspension as standard. My shocks completely gone at 67k. I wanted stiffer primary and more forgiving/comfortable secondary ride. But still with some compliance for comfort. The roads on the commute around outer London are really bad.

When doing my research I couldn't find reviews of anyone using standard springs with the koni SA shocks. My car has c5 springs on the front. Not sure about the back.

In addition to the shocks I replaced top mounts, rubber spring perchs, rear lower rubber shock mounts.

Prior to the shocks I had fitted all applicable M3 arms front and rear, rear subframe inserts, power flex rear shock top mounts, e92 M3 front ARB, removed front top mount pins for more negative camber, lemforder spherical bearings fitted to rear toe arms, front strut brace, -1.5 camber up front.

The verdict so far, way better compliance and comfort on small imperfections in the road, seams, drain covers and small pot holes. Before I would not drive over them due to the crashing suspension of the old shocks. Overall less road noise too.

The body control really is like having a second shock. The pitch and role is much more flat. Acceleration feels more immediate as the body doesn't pitch before moving off. Less role seems really help the care stay planted mid corner. When braking the nose does dive so it feels very different flatter and a better connection to feel of the brakes. The car general has a better feeling of what the wheel are doing. Body control feel similar to the stiffness of my mates focus ST but just slightly softer.

But after all the body control the rides is still really comfortable. I'll update after a 1k of driving
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2022, 10:47 PM   #2
TSilver335i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Appreciate the review. Thinking of doing the same combo or Yellows
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 05:58 AM   #3
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSilver335i View Post
Still a great setup for me, there is some seriously bad roads in my commute and I think any stuff springs would make the car uncomfortable as a daily driver.

I am considering rear e92 m3 ARB but out of curiosity rather than any disappointment in the aetup.

I have read you can get the adjustable koni yellows and put them on full soft but I think they only work well with sport springs. The koni yellows don’t get dual valve tech that helps with secondary ride vibrations so well.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 06:03 AM   #4
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSilver335i View Post
If you do change the shocks I replaced as much bushes as I could.
Top mounts front and back, Lower rear shock mounts and the rubber spring perches.

If you run the mod removing the pin in the front top mount to get more negative camber, the only new mounts you can buy require the pin being drilled out and it’s easy to do of the car.
Appreciate 1