E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Pure Stage 2

05-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Pure Stage 2

What kind of miles have people put on their Pure Stage 2s? I know Pure is one of the most reliable turbo companies we have if not the most reliable but I just want to see how many miles people have on them and whether or not they are getting anything like wastegate rattle on their setup
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

On "the other site" I've seen a handful of people say they're at 40-50k miles without any issue yet, with one person claiming they had 77k on theirs when they sold it and the new owner still had them running a few months later.

They definitely seem to be the most reliable so far for a DD, which I'd attribute to Pure having had turbos for other cars for a few years now. I'm interested in seeing how the new VTTs and new RBs will be further on this year/next year though because both companies have redone theirs and are now producing better units than before.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paanzerfaust View Post
I'm interested in seeing how the new VTTs and new RBs will be further on this year/next year though because both companies have redone theirs and are now producing better units than before.
Do not want to detract from the OP's thread- just wanted to clear this portion up.

We have had our entire RB N54 Turbo upgrade portfolio (which consists of 9 N54 Turbo options) in production for about 2 years. As the old adage goes: If it is not broke, don't fix it... and as such we've seen a 0% failure rate on all of them so there is certainly no plans to change anything.

However we also have a nice TD03 based Stage 2 option, which IS "new"; but has been in Beta test since 10/2017. 6 sets were produced and are all installed and everything currently has been flawless, and 1 customer just went 11.0sec in the 1/4 mile them as well. In the next couple/several months, which will be nearly a year post beta intro (10/2017 to 10/2018), we will put these into production if we have seen a 0% failure rate with the beta program (which we highly expect to be the case).

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Do not want to detract from the OP's thread- just wanted to clear this portion up.

We have had our entire RB N54 Turbo upgrade portfolio (which consists of 9 N54 Turbo options) in production for about 2 years. As the old adage goes: If it is not broke, don't fix it... and as such we've seen a 0% failure rate on all of them so there is certainly no plans to change anything.

However we also have a nice TD03 based Stage 2 option, which IS "new"; but has been in Beta test since 10/2017. 6 sets were produced and are all installed and everything currently has been flawless, and 1 customer just went 11.0sec in the 1/4 mile them as well. In the next couple/several months, which will be nearly a year post beta intro (10/2017 to 10/2018), we will put these into production if we have seen a 0% failure rate with the beta program (which we highly expect to be the case).

Thanks,
Rob
Well, I guess the new build techniques and balancing might not necessarily make them entirely new products but I think for your potential new customers they might as well be, especially comparing the last two years to the rest of the time the N54 has been around lol.

Either way I didn't mean it as a dig at you guys at all though, I'm impressed with the numbers so far it's just that I'm also interested in seeing how they fair even further down the line as well.
      05-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paanzerfaust View Post
Well, I guess the new build techniques and balancing might not necessarily make them entirely new products but I think for your potential new customers they might as well be, especially comparing the last two years to the rest of the time the N54 has been around lol.

Either way I didn't mean it as a dig at you guys at all though, I'm impressed with the numbers so far it's just that I'm also interested in seeing how they fair even further down the line as well.
When you are in this business you see/hear/learn a lot of things- this certainly is a "challenging" platform which has humbled many of the years and continues to do so til this very day. But we can say 100% if you can make it this amount of time without any failures you are doing the best that can be done, and the builds are certainly top tier. Additionally changing products around is usually what is done when there was a shortcoming with the prior iteration, whether small or large.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
When you are in this business you see/hear/learn a lot of things- this certainly is a "challenging" platform which has humbled many of the years and continues to do so til this very day. But we can say 100% if you can make it this amount of time without any failures you are doing the best that can be done, and the builds are certainly top tier. Additionally changing products around is usually what is done when there was a shortcoming with the prior iteration, whether small or large.

Rob
Yep, exactly! I'm nothing but impressed with your current options for twins and am heavily considering them for myself when my turbos eventually go
Appreciate 0