Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Can 30mm really do that much?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Can 30mm really do that much?

The answer is yes.

Two days ago I painted my calipers and installed 15mm spacers on my rear wheels. I wasnt able to drive the car for 24hrs(give or take) to let the caliper paint cure.

So yesterday I finally take the car out and I dont know if it was just mental, but wow, like a new car.

First off, the whole car was a lot smoother. I attribute that to the fact the lug nuts werent that tight on all the wheels. If you havent already, check them and make sure they are torqued properly.

Second, the handling definately improved slightly. Theres less body roll in the rear and it feels much more planted when making quick lane changes. The other part is the front end. Steering became a bit more precise and direct. I guess the geometry of making the angle between the rear tires and the front tires more accute has something to do with it. Either way, its the best $100 I spent for 5mins of DIY. Its more visually appealing as well.

Cant recommend this enough.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Hmmm interesting - I thought that it would give you the exact opposite result
      06-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
Hmmm interesting - I thought that it would give you the exact opposite result
If you think about it, widening the rear gives you a wider pivot point for tighter turning. At a given point you will be able to just rotate on one axis(rear wheel) just by turning the steering wheel. If you make the rear more narrow, youll actually have to create a circle to turn and have a larger turning diameter.

Makes sense?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

I felt no difference after I added the 15mm spacers in my rear wheels. I just did it for the flushed look, heh.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
If you think about it, widening the rear gives you a wider pivot point for tighter turning. At a given point you will be able to just rotate on one axis(rear wheel) just by turning the steering wheel. If you make the rear more narrow, youll actually have to create a circle to turn and have a larger turning diameter.

Makes sense?
Yeah, I see what you are saying, completely, but still - by adding 30mm you are changing the whole geometry of the car...
      06-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
Yeah, I see what you are saying, completely, but still - by adding 30mm you are changing the whole geometry of the car...
Nope, just incrementally. Like I said, the differences were slight, but enough to notice. Biggest thing for me was how the rear felt more planted in turns and quick maneauvers.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Well look sat it this way. Chassis builders talk about millimeters of adjustment all the time. 1-2mils even. So, 30 mil wider will probably have some effect.

Besides, HyperM3 seems like the kind of anal retentive detail guy that would notice such things. Not to mention the E90s chassis is stiff enough to make this feasible. In a sloppier car.... I dunno, anything American you probably wouldn't be able to tell.
      06-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Well look sat it this way. Chassis builders talk about millimeters of adjustment all the time. 1-2mils even. So, 30 mil wider will probably have some effect.

Besides, HyperM3 seems like the kind of anal retentive detail guy that would notice such things. Not to mention the E90s chassis is stiff enough to make this feasible. In a sloppier car.... I dunno, anything American you probably wouldn't be able to tell.
You will probably notice it easier on the sloppier car
      06-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
HyperM3, I mirror your sentiments. The wider rear track should theoretically improve rear grip (?), but at the cost of slightly increased front understeer. Not sure if you noted that, but this is easily 'adjustable' by bringing the front air pressures up closer to the rears.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0