E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 swaybar install tips

06-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
M3 swaybar install tips

Just did my E93 M3 front swaybar install. Only took a little more than a hour. Not going to do another DIY because there's plenty already available but I came across a couple things as I did mine.

First, unless you are doing other suspension work at the same time, it's not necessary to put the car on jackstands and pull the wheels. A set of ramps give you more than enough room to access everything. That alone is a huge time saver. Use a cordless drill, impact, etc., anything to pull all the shield screws. Another big time saver.

Doing the bushings, I tried to pop them together using a piece of wood and a hammer. Worked on one side but broke one of the snap tabs off on the other side creating more work for myself. I've seen someone use a C-clamp to gently press them together. I would recommend this with a wood spacer to apply even pressure to get them together.

Pay attention to the brackets. Get under the car with them and see how they fit first. They're different than the stock ones and if you don't have them oriented properly they wont line up with the studs and you'll find yourself trying to pull the bushings apart to turn them around. Big PITA.

And lastly, while you're down there, if you have a aftermarket IC I would check the bottom 4 hose clamps on the couplers for tightness. I found mine to be a bit loose. Not enough to throw a code or lose boost yet but I easily got a few turns out of each clamp.