E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > $10 DIY fix for broken E91 cargo cover latch

11-28-2021, 10:49 PM   #1
Montegowagon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

$10 DIY fix for broken E91 cargo cover latch

I just got my Montego Blue 328XI wagon (07/07 build date) and immediately noticed that the cargo cover was broken on the left side. More specifically the poor quality metal had broken off on the cargo cover's left side that wedges into a latch on the rear of the wagon.

Used a screwdriver to break off the remaining pieces of the old metal. A dremel would have been exceptionally useful in this situation. There is another section of metal underneath it that remains after you break off the thinner piece above. This is fortunate, because it is just wide enough to mount a replacement piece of metal with pop rivets. Hard to describe - best to look at the images for reference.

Then I measured and cut down a metal conduit outlet cover to be the same width and a little longer than the portion I replaced. I chose a conduit metal cover because it is easy to cut with a sawblade, because the metal is pretty soft, which also makes it easier to bend to mimic the old part.

Important note - extend the cover and use a clamp or something to hold it, as it's possible to hit the cover edges with your drill bit when making the pilot holes for the pop rivets. Very secure secured with 3 pop rivets, and a decent layer of JB weld just to give the area a little more stability. A pair of cutter pliers is all you need to cut the ends, but a file is also nice to get rid of any last remaining pointy bits.

Works great! Just gave it a try after letting the JB weld overnight, and it's very secure. It's actually on there a bit tighter than the factory side, likely because the profile of the piece I made is slightly different than the piece I replaced. I think the repair will hold up but time will only tell. Sorry it's not a super clean job with the JB weld slopped around, but I wasn't overly concerned about aesthetics of considering it's not visible.

Parts cost was about $10 (I already had the pop rivet gun from harbor freight)

1 x metal conduit cover
3 x 1/8" pop rivets and pop rivet gun
JB weld

Appreciate 4
      06-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #2
CornerGorillaPit
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 Touring, E91

Hate to bring back an old thread but where did you get that metal conduit cover OP? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by CornerGorillaPit; 06-25-2022 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 03:26 PM   #3
johnnyorange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 lci e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerGorillaPit View Post
Hate to bring back an old thread but where did you get that metal conduit cover OP? Thank you in advance.
I have yet to do this project but am gathering parts (and time) to do it

this is an amazon link to the cover i plan on cutting down for each side

good luck!
Appreciate 0