E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Code out clutch pedal to start Manual transmission

11-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #23
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Please excuse me if this is complete ignorance...but what does the wiring to the clutch switch look like? In older cars, this would be a simple 2 wire connector, signal in/signal out with the switch completing the circuit. Could one not simply unplug the switch and place a jumper in the connector on the body wiring harness? I don't have MT so I don't know what this switch looks like.

OP, I know you said you don't leave your car in gear when parked, but I hope you fully understand the ramifications of this mod should the car ever be left in gear and you hit the remote start? When I did have MTs I always left it in gear, especially on any inclines...and what if you ever have to lend the car to someone else?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #24
e36ti
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i sport

Thanks fb2017 u da man. Emilime75 great points and thanks for the concern... will consider them. My frame of reference is coming from driving e30s up until recently and not having that feature with the clutch depression. Also I think it's important as our car ages the electronics will fail and we need to have a workable solution to those electrical components there are tons of users coding out adaptive headlights because it's just too expensive to fix etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #25
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fb2017 View Post
here guys. I figured it out on a 2011 e90 328i. Here are the important bits.

ANLASSERSPERRE_P nicht_aktiv
AUSWERTUNG_P_HW activ
AUSWERTUNG_P_CAN nicht_aktiv
ANLASSERSPERRE_KPS nicht_aktiv
STARTABBRUCH_BREMSE nicht_aktiv
STARTABBRUCH_P nicht_aktiv KOMFORTSTART aktiv ANLASSERSCHUTZ_3SEK aktiv STARTABBRUCH_KLR nicht_aktiv ABZUGSPERRE_PLOCK_C6 nicht_aktiv ZEIT_BREMSE wert_03

you will notice that you have to hold the start button while the car cranks unlike before where you just had to tap it. Alternatively you can enable the need to press the brake pedal to start the car and it will just fire up as before. If you want to do this just make sure you code the following in addition to what's above...

ANLASSSPERRE_BLS aktiv

have a good night!

looks like it can also be done in Protool, there is a setting for clutch and also for brake pedal for automatics
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #26
e36ti
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i sport

What is protocol interested to learn... Any links is this reference to ista p
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #27
thetuna
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT

If anyone else ever drives this car, or if you're forgetful, I'd really recommend against this. I had a car without clutch-to-start and let my friend borrow it. The electric starter has a ton of torque. It was able to crank the car right over the curb until the wheels left the ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #28
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36ti View Post
What is protocol interested to learn... Any links is this reference to ista p
Protool app for android, by Bimmergeeks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #29
Fb2017
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bicycle

I agree about the safety. What I did to minimize the risk is I ran the hood pin wire from the starter to ground with a toggle switch. Anytime anyone else drives the car or if it goes for service I hit the switch. Just an extra safeguard on top of valet mode.

I am trying to figure out a similar switch setup using a motion switch that grounds the starter should it detect movement as a backup as well. If anyone has ideas please do share
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #30
Fb2017
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bicycle

I can't comment on if anyone should or shouldn't do this mod. If you are someone that leaves the car in gear I advise against it.

There is a compustar DAS module available that might be the answer to what were looking for however.

If anyone is able to give it a shot it can't hurt. Would also eliminate the ability of the car being driven away while remote started
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #31
Jselv
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 silver coupe

Is there a guide on how to do this
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #32
Willy Sea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe S54, E36 M3 Evo,

start Z4M without clutching code out

Anybody with advice how to perform this on 2007 Z4M E86.
With INPA or NCS dummy, all advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 06:18 AM   #33
Mobobat1997
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 325d; BMW E87 123d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fb2017 View Post
here guys. I figured it out on a 2011 e90 328i. Here are the important bits.

ANLASSERSPERRE_P nicht_aktiv
AUSWERTUNG_P_HW activ
AUSWERTUNG_P_CAN nicht_aktiv
ANLASSERSPERRE_KPS nicht_aktiv
STARTABBRUCH_BREMSE nicht_aktiv
STARTABBRUCH_P nicht_aktiv KOMFORTSTART aktiv ANLASSERSCHUTZ_3SEK aktiv STARTABBRUCH_KLR nicht_aktiv ABZUGSPERRE_PLOCK_C6 nicht_aktiv ZEIT_BREMSE wert_03

you will notice that you have to hold the start button while the car cranks unlike before where you just had to tap it. Alternatively you can enable the need to press the brake pedal to start the car and it will just fire up as before. If you want to do this just make sure you code the following in addition to what's above...

ANLASSSPERRE_BLS aktiv

have a good night!
I just want to say thank you. My E81 118d came up with error of clutch switch error. Thought the modules are mostly same. Used BimmerCode to code it as you did and perfect. Fired right up. I’ve screenshotted in case I ever need to do it again. Atleast now I can get to the garage not on a recovery. Change the switch and revert it back should I wish
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #34
k90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -06 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobobat1997 View Post
I just want to say thank you. My E81 118d came up with error of clutch switch error. Thought the modules are mostly same. Used BimmerCode to code it as you did and perfect. Fired right up. I’ve screenshotted in case I ever need to do it again. Atleast now I can get to the garage not on a recovery. Change the switch and revert it back should I wish
Is there any backup engine cranking method for clutch-to-start?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 06:11 AM   #35
k90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -06 330xi 6MT

Side question for another potentially dangerous coding:

I have noticed that the casette key doesn't always eject immediatelly after ignition is turned off. It's locked in place.

I think the CAS keeps the key until there is no wheel speed for a period of time, but I'm used to pull the key and exit the car while it comes to halt by ebrake. Altought the ebrake in this one doesn't like to be used when in motion - it seems to get stuck at times. With this car exiting the car feels like a procedure. When the car is running parked the key can be ejected immediatelly after switching off ignition.

Any adjustments for wheelspeed sensing?

Combination of disabling steering wheel lock and omiting wheelspeed would be rather non-dangerous.
Appreciate 0