E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2 years of vibration issues caused by aftermarket parts.

07-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

2 years of vibration issues caused by aftermarket parts.

As some of you may know I have constantly complained about my steering wheel shaking while driving. An issue that comes and goes. Sometimes it happens when I stop and other times not at all. My car would have bad days and good days. I also constantly bitched about mechanics trying to screw me.

Well, the problem has been solved by a good mechanic. He didn't try to throw parts at it like the others did. It was caused by aftermarket control arms that I had used. There was nothing wrong with the install, the bushings were in good shape as well. The arms just were not as good as BMW OEM in this case. If anyone is curious what brand that caused the problem look here.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensio...2-E89-E9X.html

I think I know why its an 80 dollar part..

Now I would like to extend a big fuck you to all the mechanics that kept telling me my rotors are warped. Then tried to get me to replace ALL my brand new rotors and pads. Some of the quotes to fix the problem were as high as 3000 dollars. Some of these douche mechanics because they didn't trust the free balance from the tire shop was good enough. Charged me for a balance then left me hanging.

Ironically enough while I bash after market parts the aftermarket rotors from the same company were causing no problems like every mechanic tried to tell me. So just make sure you do your research. Aftermarket parts caused a problem in this case but in other cases they work out fine.

Last edited by BravoJohny33; 07-18-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
As some of you may know I have constantly complained about my steering wheel shaking while driving. An issue that comes and goes. Sometimes it happens when I stop and other times not at all. My car would have bad days and good days. I also constantly bitched about mechanics trying to screw me.

Well, the problem has been solved by a good mechanic. He didn't try to throw parts at it like the others did. It was caused by aftermarket control arms that I had used. There was nothing wrong with the install, the bushings were in good shape as well. The arms just were not as good as BMW OEM in this case. If anyone is curious what brand that caused the problem look here.

Now I would like to extend a big fuck you to all the mechanics that kept telling me my rotors are warped. Then tried to get me to replace ALL my brand new rotors and pads. Some of the quotes to fix the problem were as high as 3000 dollars. Some of these douche mechanics because they didn't trust the free balance from the tire shop was good enough.

Ironically enough while I bash after market parts the aftermarket rotors from the same company were causing no problems like every mechanic tried to tell me. So just make sure you do your research. Aftermarket parts caused a problem in this case but in other cases they work out fine.
Sorry to hear about the dramas you've been having. It seems strange that a lot of people use these and other people haven't had issues. I'd stick with that mechanic.. sounds like a keeper
      07-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Sorry to hear about the dramas you've been having. It seems strange that a lot of people use these and other people haven't had issues. I'd stick with that mechanic.. sounds like a keeper
Actually if you search around you will find that people were complaining the aftermarket bushings tearing.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...g-failure.html
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

This kind of BS is what makes me cough up the extra cash for OEM parts, like when I did my VANOS solenoids last week. Can you imagine having brand new VANOS solenoids that are malfunctioning in some way and complete junk, and wondering why your car is running so rough, telling everyone "I have new solenoids"? Glad your mechanic knew the control arms were the culprit.
      07-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
This kind of BS is what makes me cough up the extra cash for OEM parts, like when I did my VANOS solenoids last week. Can you imagine having brand new VANOS solenoids that are malfunctioning in some way and complete junk, and wondering why your car is running so rough, telling everyone "I have new solenoids"? Glad your mechanic knew the control arms were the culprit.
OEM is just so pricey and if I did OEM everything id go broke. I have knock off tail lights when one broke, cheapo rotors that I bought for 30 piece, everstart battery... Just gotta do research. I prob wont ever do aftermarket bushing again because those parts have so much to do with the way BMW feels and drives. While a battery or light has nothing to do with that.
Appreciate 1
max_330i340.00
      07-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
OEM is just so pricey and if I did OEM everything id go broke. I have knock off tail lights when one broke, cheapo rotors that I bought for 30 piece, everstart battery... Just gotta do research. I prob wont ever do aftermarket bushing again because those parts have so much to do with the way BMW feels and drives. While a battery or light has nothing to do with that.
A lot of genuine parts are available without BMW tax if you know where to look. As an example Trw makes some of the suspension components for the e92 m3. You can get the same bits just not with a bmw stamp for much less...
      07-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The Meyle HD parts are a reputable line of parts, it is surprising you had issues. When the link was loading, I was expecting some generic ABC-Euro brand part.

I went with the TRW arms and got them on sale for just a few dollars more than the Meyle and Lemforder kits.

I wouldn't give up on non OEM, but it definitely hurts to get burned. Fwiw, everyone told me rotors were my problem too, and it was the control arms
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

So what was wrong if it wasn't the bushing? the end link maybe? Do you even know?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #9
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
So what was wrong if it wasn't the bushing? the end link maybe? Do you even know?
Mechanic said there was nothing physically wrong with them. They had about 22k miles on them and were checked by the place who replaced my struts as well. Nothing physically wrong with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

I never had good luck with Meyle control arm bushings in the past as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
robygomez
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 325i, 2010, E90

Unhappy

Quote:

Now I would like to extend a big fuck you to all the mechanics that kept telling me my rotors are warped. Then tried to get me to replace ALL my brand new rotors and pads. Some of the quotes to fix the problem were as high as 3000 dollars. Some of these douche mechanics because they didn't trust the free balance from the tire shop was good enough. Charged me for a balance then left me hanging.

But what do you think about Febi Bilstein parts, I have that kind of problem when I drive from 60 mph to 70 mph my wheel shakes a little an I just replace my arm extentions with Delphi ones. I have checkes the balance and the wheels are well balanced but that shaking still occurs.

I bought the Delphi ones because the supplier was out of Febi Bilstein ones and told my they were very similar but hearing this from you makes me wonder if the problem could be that.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robygomez View Post
But what do you think about Febi Bilstein parts, I have that kind of problem when I drive from 60 mph to 70 mph my wheel shakes a little an I just replace my arm extentions with Delphi ones. I have checkes the balance and the wheels are well balanced but that shaking still occurs.

I bought the Delphi ones because the supplier was out of Febi Bilstein ones and told my they were very similar but hearing this from you makes me wonder if the problem could be that.
If you didn't have the problem before you replaced the parts than most likely the part you put on is the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
robygomez
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 325i, 2010, E90

Quote:
If you didn't have the problem before you replaced the parts than most likely the part you put on is the problem.
I'll check on that and change them again if necessary. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #14
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

finding a honest mechanic as a bmw owner is like winning a small lottery..lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 01:46 AM   #15
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam
I never had good luck with Meyle control arm bushings in the past as well.
Meyle parts are mostly crap. I'm also surprised to see the praise for the Meyle HD stuff here; never seen them last as long as OEM parts on other forums I frequent.
Appreciate 0