E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 328

01-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #23
kingbmw5050
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
A mustang can be faster than a 335. So a "lesser" car smokes it. I mean if you're going to beat yourself up about losing to a faster car that's lesser than yours than just go buy an American muscle car so you can finally beat those ricers. I'm not trying to be a dick I just don't get why people buy the lowest powered e90, and complain that it isn't fast.

You can't make them fast that's the reality.
Thanks for the input my friend ..

In general I have always noticed BMW's no matter what series ,m or not m . They are always a little bit slower than the competition in a drag race. Whether it be against Audi ,amg, alpha Romeo etc. They do however excel in lap times, due to that good balance of handling and power.

Now I'm not saying that bmws are slow . I was saying that for the price you pay why is it that you don't get more . I went to Bmw to finance a new f30 328 fully loaded they quoted me almost 70,000$.

For the money you pay 240 or 250 hp is not enough. But then again I guess these cars are not always about drag race times either. BMW's are for people who like to have a dynamic engaging drive and not about bragging about your 0-60. This is something the American and Japanese car makers will never give you in a mustang or Lexus.

Plus where I live there are lower weaker e90 models such as the 323 so 328 is not the weakest.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
everyone's entitled to their own opinion. To be honest, I thought very highly of the 335 until I drove one. Then I realized it really isn't far above the 328 except for just straight line speed. I put the 335 above the 328 only because of the extra power and the tendency for it to come with more standard options. Fully loaded, they both are exactly the same except ones faster.
Pretty much right there ... they're both 3 series e90's. They're only going to be so different.

A buddy of mine has a lightly modded 335 with a JB4 and it really boogies and is fun when punched but for what, a few seconds then you gotta back off ... eh. Unless you're racing on a regular basis ... you don't use the power the vast majority of the time you're driving. And when his car was stock ... frankly it's not like it was freakisly faster than my stock 328 ... just faster. Every time I'm in his car I'm like ... this is cool ... and when I get into mine I like it too. Since I did the 330 performance mod ... I don't regret getting the 328 for a minute.

They both are great cars in their own right ... different strokes for different folks.
Personally if I was going to go with the Twin Turbo 6 ... it would be a 135i couple with a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
Quote:
everyone's entitled to their own opinion. To be honest, I thought very highly of the 335 until I drove one. Then I realized it really isn't far above the 328 except for just straight line speed. I put the 335 above the 328 only because of the extra power and the tendency for it to come with more standard options. Fully loaded, they both are exactly the same except ones faster.
Pretty much right there ... they're both 3 series e90's. They're only going to be so different.

A buddy of mine has a lightly modded 335 with a JB4 and it really boogies and is fun when punched but for what, a few seconds then you gotta back off ... eh. Unless you're racing on a regular basis ... you don't use the power the vast majority of the time you're driving. And when his car was stock ... frankly it's not like it was freakisly faster than my stock 328 ... just faster. Every time I'm in his car I'm like ... this is cool ... and when I get into mine I like it too. Since I did the 330 performance mod ... I don't regret getting the 328 for a minute.

They both are great cars in their own right ... different strokes for different folks.
Personally if I was going to go with the Twin Turbo 6 ... it would be a 135i couple with a manual transmission.
Agreed on every account. If I had a 6MT I would've done some work to my N52 but it's my second car and I'm enjoying a lot it's made me appreciate how well bmw can make an NA 6
Appreciate 1
N52UNED176.00
      01-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #26
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbmw5050 View Post
Quote:
A mustang can be faster than a 335. So a "lesser" car smokes it. I mean if you're going to beat yourself up about losing to a faster car that's lesser than yours than just go buy an American muscle car so you can finally beat those ricers. I'm not trying to be a dick I just don't get why people buy the lowest powered e90, and complain that it isn't fast.

You can't make them fast that's the reality.
Thanks for the input my friend ..

In general I have always noticed BMW's no matter what series ,m or not m . They are always a little bit slower than the competition in a drag race. Whether it be against Audi ,amg, alpha Romeo etc. They do however excel in lap times, due to that good balance of handling and power.

Now I'm not saying that bmws are slow . I was saying that for the price you pay why is it that you don't get more . I went to Bmw to finance a new f30 328 fully loaded they quoted me almost 70,000$.

For the money you pay 240 or 250 hp is not enough. But then again I guess these cars are not always about drag race times either. BMW's are for people who like to have a dynamic engaging drive and not about bragging about your 0-60. This is something the American and Japanese car makers will never give you in a mustang or Lexus.

Plus where I live there are lower weaker e90 models such as the 323 so 328 is not the weakest.
For 70,000 yes I get that. But if a 328 is 70,000 where you are then every other competitor is right there with it.

It's a great car and the N52 is a great, reliable engine that will last a while. If you have the funds, modding it will really make it come to life but I wouldn't expect to beat any 335s. Maybe a stock xdrive but nothing more than that.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #27
rp_07bmw328xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
A stock 330i 6mt is fast enough to reach 'go to jail' speeds in a hurry.

unless u wanna race on a circuit, I don't see any point making the car faster although I do see 55mph in NY pretty darn but still get over taken by 70mph Cars !!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #28
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Don't get me wrong, a 335i is a fun car, but I couldn't justify it over an N52 powered car. Most of my commute is rumbling along at 25 mph in traffic, and the rest is back roads where I can't reach the car's limit until above arrestable speeds anyway.

If I had regular access to a track it would likely be a different story, but I don't.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #29
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I went to Bmw to finance a new f30 328 fully loaded they quoted me almost 70,000$.
70 grand for an F30 328i? No way I'm paying 70 grand for a 4 cylinder car. BMW must be feeling real confident about the F30.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #30
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I don't care. Hell, the new Honda Odyssey could probably keep up with an E90 328i in a straight line. I don't care for two reasons: 1. I don't race on the road, because I'm not a dick. 2. It's super easy to make a car go fast in a straight line. It's difficult to make a car that feels balanced and super relaxed on the road. The E90 has that feel, regardless of the engine type.

Be happy with what you have. It's a well-engineered car in many regards. Enjoy the car for what it is. It's not a dragster that will pull 1/4 mile under 10 seconds. It's a daily driver that happens to be fun and safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #31
kingbmw5050
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Quote:
I went to Bmw to finance a new f30 328 fully loaded they quoted me almost 70,000$.
70 grand for an F30 328i? No way I'm paying 70 grand for a 4 cylinder car. BMW must be feeling real confident about the F30.
It sounds crazy I know . By the time they ad all the packages and this and that your well past 60 g's

I went twice to get a good deal, but they wouldn't buy my car for a good price.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #32
kingbmw5050
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902009 View Post
I don't care. Hell, the new Honda Odyssey could probably keep up with an E90 328i in a straight line. I don't care for two reasons: 1. I don't race on the road, because I'm not a dick. 2. It's super easy to make a car go fast in a straight line. It's difficult to make a car that feels balanced and super relaxed on the road. The E90 has that feel, regardless of the engine type.

Be happy with what you have. It's a well-engineered car in many regards. Enjoy the car for what it is. It's not a dragster that will pull 1/4 mile under 10 seconds. It's a daily driver that happens to be fun and safe.
Lol the Honda van will keep up ,until you hit the first round about at high speed .

But yea your right great car built very well and smoooooth engine
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #33
chester22
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

i imagine manual trans cars don't like the turbo engines as much as they do the natural engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #34
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Why? They can hold more torque either way. If your clutch slips, upgrade - the ATs are definitely more power limited than the MTs.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #35
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
In the past it bothered me, but then I had an epiphany. If I were in a BMW M4 and Tanner Foust were in an e90 328i, and we were racing each other around the Nürburgring, Tanner Foust would absolutely destroy me. Power is nice, but driver skill is what it's all about. Instead of worrying about 0-60 times, I focus on becoming a better driver.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #36
BVH_Tony
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E91 6MT RWD

I think the 328 is so dang linear that it doesn't feel as quick as it really is. I want to feel a "surge" of power but it doesn't come through on the old seat dyno. I think it feels on the slow side, but then last week I kicked it and looked down and was pretty surprised at how fast I was already going (yeah I slowed down pretty quick)

Now, don't get me wrong, I want just a little more out of it, but it's a reliability compromise vs the 335. I'll take the hp hit to not have the issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #37
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH_Tony View Post
I think the 328 is so dang linear that it doesn't feel as quick as it really is. I want to feel a "surge" of power but it doesn't come through on the old seat dyno. I think it feels on the slow side, but then last week I kicked it and looked down and was pretty surprised at how fast I was already going (yeah I slowed down pretty quick)

Now, don't get me wrong, I want just a little more out of it, but it's a reliability compromise vs the 335. I'll take the hp hit to not have the issues.
yes it is very linear , and it has to do a lot with the long gears. But if you every look at the speedometer you'll see the car moves .

3 stage intake /headers/tune combo really wake up this car , it does not feel as linear , you get a little push to the back of your seat when accelerating , nothing crazy , but it does feel right .

If you really want to feel less linear there is a differential swap for shorter gearing , its easier on a RWD , some member in the NA forum had it done for 500$ or less ( used differential) , shorter gearing really helps quite a bit

Its a bit of a shame the car did not come from factory with shorter gearing and a 3 stage intake . The good news is that those mods are not really that hard or expensive to do .
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #38
Lifelike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I love my 328. I need to do some mods on it for cosmetics to appreciate it more, but in terms of speed it's enough for me. I've never actually raced anyone. I've smoked some shitty v6 mustangs in traffic but that's about it. I did get destroyed by a tuned Honda Civic SI though.

These cars handle great, that's another thing that makes me not mind the lack of power.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #39
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A manual trans definitely makes a difference with the N52 over the seemingly long gears in the automatic.

I've debated going for a bit newer car with a manual (like an LCI 2010-2011) but with my mostly traffic commute I think that might not be so fun.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #40
BVH_Tony
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E91 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post

If you really want to feel less linear there is a differential swap for shorter gearing , its easier on a RWD , some member in the NA forum had it done for 500$ or less ( used differential) , shorter gearing really helps quite a bit

Its a bit of a shame the car did not come from factory with shorter gearing and a 3 stage intake . The good news is that those mods are not really that hard or expensive to do .
I'd do gears in a heartbeat if that wouldn't make my cruising speed 3400ish rpm. I'm sure it'd be fine, but eh. I like the gear spacing mostly but why is 6th so dang close to 5th? Give me an overdrive that's actually significantly overdriven.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #41
J Dibbz
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I feel like I get enough power out of the 328i. I'm not someone who is constantly looking to race other vehicles. On a straight track their are plenty of cars that will smoke me but in every day driving I feel like it all comes down to the reliable performance of the vehicle and the driver's understanding of how the traffic and stop lights work in the given area. Most of us take the same routes every week and if you know how the traffic moves and stop lights work it easy to leave most of the other drivers in the dust. In everyday driving, speed is not only factor that will get someone from A to B the fastest.
      01-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #42
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

This E90 chassis handles so well that thats all i care about. There are alot of cars that go faster in a straight line but thats no fun for me. I ride sport bikes too. And going straight is BOORING.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #43
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH_Tony View Post
I'd do gears in a heartbeat if that wouldn't make my cruising speed 3400ish rpm. I'm sure it'd be fine, but eh. I like the gear spacing mostly but why is 6th so dang close to 5th? Give me an overdrive that's actually significantly overdriven.
I would look in 3 stage intake , charcoal delete , k and n filter ( or any other intake) and a tune at least. The car will feel different

If you feel a little more adventurous AA headers ( no cats) or afe headers (high flow cats) are a good add on for good power

or you can always try MILV'S ( check out na section) , bpc already has a tune for it , together with 3 stage intake should give you 25 whp add on , plus quite a bit more torque . A bit expensive on the labour side ( 7 hours ) but a lot of the members in the na section have DIY which will save you quite a bit of money

trust me when I tell you , the car will not feel as linear, it just feels right .

I m not even going to exaggerate here but i test drove the 2012 wrx before my mods and I thought it was really fast, then I modded the 328 and test drove the 2014 wrx again and I honestly did not think it was that much faster , it felt similar . I m sure it is still faster , but it was not day and night difference like it was when my 328 was stock .
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #44
M3nic
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Absolutely love mine and am so content with it
Appreciate 0