E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Stop Tech rotors for 335i?

12-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Rsoxs19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Stop Tech rotors for 335i?

Does anyone have the Stop Tech drilled and slotted rotors. My 335i has oem original rotors (10 years old) which are very rusted but still stop fine. I also like the look of drilled and slotted rotors. Are these rotors any good or should I just stick with my rusty oem ones lol. $435 for a compete set seems like a good deal from Topgear solutions. Thanks!
      12-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Check the price on Rockauto for the same rotors - likely will be less.

Then check the price on Centric blanks. Same company as stoptech. Sticker shock.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 03:24 AM   #3
Alloyed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 N55

Before I got my E90, I had a Stoptechs on my Audi (B5 S4). They were the 2-piece variety and the bolts holding the 2 peices together "stretched" slightly with hard use*, according to my mechanic. They worked just fine, but they were somewhat noisey, and the pads wore very quickly; I have heard slotted rotors can accelerate pad wear. The "stretched" bolts probably didn't help.

*The previous owner was the one with the lead foot, not me .

I eventually replaced the Stoptechs with a Stasis kit; these had "slotted" rotors, but the slots were sort of these half-moon shapes. I don't know if Stoptech still makes 2-piece rotors, but it's something to keep in mind, if you plan on some hard driving/braking. The Stasis kit was great and did not eat pads like the Stoptech kit did. However, it was not cheap.

P.S. I would have an expert check your current rotors and make sure there is enough material left to provide adequate braking. If they are still good, I would probably just keep them stock. If not, your mechanic might be able to suggest a course of action.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Alloyed; 01-02-2018 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
Rsoxs19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post

Then check the price on Centric blanks. Same company as stoptech. Sticker shock.
Thanks for reccomending RockAuto.com. I didnt think about it. I ordered the drilled and slotted rotors from there and saved myself $90. Thanks!
tlow982180.50
      01-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I had same brakes they work great for everyday driving. Each has a draw back whether it's drilled or slotted, it's preference at the end of the day
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
Shane335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90, E36 M3

I have them. I'm on my 2nd set. they stop great and they look the business.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsoxs19 View Post
Thanks for reccomending RockAuto.com. I didnt think about it. I ordered the drilled and slotted rotors from there and saved myself $90. Thanks!
Good to hear. I now check Rockauto before I buy anything for the bimmer.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I have stop tech on my 335i along with Ceramic Pads and had them on for 2 years now and I can report the combination is holding up really well and I have not see any loss in stopping performance, but I do not drive like a mad man all the time. They stoptech and ceramic pad are definitely holding up better than the stock BMW rotors and pads. But we know the BMW rotor and pads are design to wear together for max braking, with that you get lots of dust.

I got my off Amazon and no one including rockauto could touch the price at the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:

Same company, but not the same product. Centric are made in China, I know some of the stoptech are also made in China, but Stoptech does have higher level of quality control that each rotor goes through. I use Centric on another car and they are not much better than low cost rotors from other companies, they rust and do not hold up well. I have stoptech on my BMW and they do not rust, they actually look better after 2 yrs than the OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #10
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Same company, but not the same product. Centric are made in China, I know some of the stoptech are also made in China, but Stoptech does have higher level of quality control that each rotor goes through. I use Centric on another car and they are not much better than low cost rotors from other companies, they rust and do not hold up well. I have stoptech on my BMW and they do not rust, they actually look better after 2 yrs than the OEM.
Interesting about the rust. Have you been using the Centric "premium" high carbon line that are black "e-coated"?

I've had them on 4 cars now and the only one that rusted was after 4 years in the salt bath that is Chicago. I've also used them on an E46 M3 that saw track time with PFC08 pads and they worked as well as the OE units that came before them.

Also, what are the quality control differences? Run-out specs?

Personally, I'm not opposed to Chinese manufacture as long as it's a quality product. I've never bought Stoptech rotors, so I guess I'm not sure where the difference lies. I've had Zimmerman and Brembo blanks, as well, but they surface rusted pretty quickly and so I never went back to those brands.

It seems as though the directional vane design of the Stoptechs is certainly superior, but I guess taking into context intended use would warrant whether or not that's important.

Last edited by tlow98; 01-04-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #11
lukasB
God
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 N54

brembos are made in china too, it's not where it's made but how it's made that matters
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Interesting about the rust. Have you been using the Centric "premium" high carbon line that are black "e-coated"?

I've had them on 4 cars now and the only one that rusted was after 4 years in the salt bath that is Chicago. I've also used them on an E46 M3 that saw track time with PFC08 pads and they worked as well as the OE units that came before them.

Also, what are the quality control differences? Run-out specs?

Personally, I'm not opposed to Chinese manufacture as long as it's a quality product. I've never bought Stoptech rotors, so I guess I'm not sure where the difference lies. I've had Zimmerman and Brembo blanks, as well, but they surface rusted pretty quickly and so I never went back to those brands.

It seems as though the directional vane design of the Stoptechs is certainly superior, but I guess taking into context intended use would warrant whether or not that's important.
For the other cars I used the black e-coat and yes the winters in the northeast play hell on them. One set the e-coat came off after one winter which surprise me. I still say they held up better than other makes I have used over the years.

As others said it not necessary where they are actually manufactured but the quality control which are in place. Chinese manufactures will do exactly what the design companies tells them to do. From what I read, Stop-tech use a better quality of steel and the rotors go through various annealing processed which make the rotor preform better. The centric do not go through all these processes. I know Stop tech even has version of their Rotor which are made in the US, and go through liquid Nitrogen annealing which supposedly removes all the manufacturing stress from the metal.

I did lots of research on rotor trying to find a good set for all my cars which were not cheap or overly expensive and I tried to figure out what the cost difference was. When I settle on the stop-tech for the BWN I saw a deal on Amazon and bought them, when they arrived they said made in China, which surprised me since I though all stop-tech were made in the US. I thought I got counterfeit rotors so I called up stop-tech, they went on to explain the difference between their US and China made products. This is when they explained the US are generally for racing and they have higher level of quality and design controls on those rotors. They also go through annealing process which they do not do in China for various reason. The Centric is their mass produce version of the stop-tech designs, but the metal used are not the same.

I use to have my rotors resurfaced, about 10 yrs ago most shops will not resurfacing rotors unless they know they are OEM from certain manufacturers. I was told rotors have gotten so cheap and the metal is crap they will fall apart when cut, the one shop I used said he had rotors come apart on the resurfacer. Because of this I went to throw away rotors. One of the ways to know the quality of rotor is the rust that build up and how metal degrades over time.

Even the centric which did rust, it was not as bad as I seen on other rotors and I am going to try and get them cut this next time verse tossing them. The Stop-tech on the BMW are holding up great, no rust, but can not have slotted and drilled resurfaces, but it looks like I will get 4 yrs out of them so i do not mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have them, work fine..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
For the other cars I used the black e-coat and yes the winters in the northeast play hell on them. One set the e-coat came off after one winter which surprise me. I still say they held up better than other makes I have used over the years.

As others said it not necessary where they are actually manufactured but the quality control which are in place. Chinese manufactures will do exactly what the design companies tells them to do. From what I read, Stop-tech use a better quality of steel and the rotors go through various annealing processed which make the rotor preform better. The centric do not go through all these processes. I know Stop tech even has version of their Rotor which are made in the US, and go through liquid Nitrogen annealing which supposedly removes all the manufacturing stress from the metal.

I did lots of research on rotor trying to find a good set for all my cars which were not cheap or overly expensive and I tried to figure out what the cost difference was. When I settle on the stop-tech for the BWN I saw a deal on Amazon and bought them, when they arrived they said made in China, which surprised me since I though all stop-tech were made in the US. I thought I got counterfeit rotors so I called up stop-tech, they went on to explain the difference between their US and China made products. This is when they explained the US are generally for racing and they have higher level of quality and design controls on those rotors. They also go through annealing process which they do not do in China for various reason. The Centric is their mass produce version of the stop-tech designs, but the metal used are not the same.

I use to have my rotors resurfaced, about 10 yrs ago most shops will not resurfacing rotors unless they know they are OEM from certain manufacturers. I was told rotors have gotten so cheap and the metal is crap they will fall apart when cut, the one shop I used said he had rotors come apart on the resurfacer. Because of this I went to throw away rotors. One of the ways to know the quality of rotor is the rust that build up and how metal degrades over time.

Even the centric which did rust, it was not as bad as I seen on other rotors and I am going to try and get them cut this next time verse tossing them. The Stop-tech on the BMW are holding up great, no rust, but can not have slotted and drilled resurfaces, but it looks like I will get 4 yrs out of them so i do not mind.
Interesting to hear your experiences and I do have a special place in my heart for superior products. Good to know about the StopTech - I'll take them a bit more seriously the next time I'm browsing RockAuto. Wish they made blanks for my 328i - seems like slotted or slotted/drilled only.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #15
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

If you have plenty of life left on your rotors just pop your wheels off, wire brush the rust off and use some ceramic high temp black paint and spray them. I’ve done this before and it works great. Makes the rotors look like new, and saves a lot of money!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #16
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
If you have plenty of life left on your rotors just pop your wheels off, wire brush the rust off and use some ceramic high temp black paint and spray them. I’ve done this before and it works great. Makes the rotors look like new, and saves a lot of money!
Seem like a lot of work
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #17
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I have the drilled Stoptech on a 330i (they are slightly smaller but not that it matters for our discussion here). They have been perfectly dependable and problem free for about 40k miles now. Looks like they will last another round of pads from the amount of lip present. Would buy again.

As a note: all rotors rust. That's just what happens to bare iron.
I paid extra for the annealing process. I think it's an overkill and will save the cash next time.
Did not pay attention if made in China or not (probably yes); does not matter, the product quality is adequate.

Last edited by Meeni; 01-07-2018 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #18
Rsoxs19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Just finished installing the rotors and a new set of akebono pads on all 4 corners. Looks amazing btw. I pumped the brakes about 5 times and it went to the floor. Figured that's normal. After driving for a while I can still press the pedal to the floor but its slighly harder, didnt happen with my oem pads. I didnt take the calipers off so there shouldnt be any air in my system. Will the pedal firm up with time? There is no issues with stopping. Seems like it has full power but like I said I can press the pedal to the floor which seems unusual. I tried to bed them a little bit. Got up to about 60mph and hit the brakes as hard as I could until about 5 mph. Drove a few miles normally then did it again. Did it about 4 times.
      01-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #19
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

The Akebono pads may feel 'wooden' for a couple of hundred miles, especially in cold weather.

That being said, if you don't have air in the lines, you should not get the pedal to the floor.
You didn't activate the brakes without pads in, did you?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer stoptech rotors and price match

Had them on my 335 , work great!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #21
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
We offer stoptech rotors and price match

Had them on my 335 , work great!
Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:49 AM   #22
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsoxs19 View Post
Does anyone have the Stop Tech drilled and slotted rotors. My 335i has oem original rotors (10 years old) which are very rusted but still stop fine. I also like the look of drilled and slotted rotors. Are these rotors any good or should I just stick with my rusty oem ones lol. $435 for a compete set seems like a good deal from Topgear solutions. Thanks!
I just ordered stoptech cryostop sport slotted rotors, stoptech sport pads, and stainless steel lines. I'll let you know how it compares to stock.
Appreciate 0