E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > can i keep the money the insurance company sent me?

01-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

can i keep the money the insurance company sent me?

I will try to make this as short and simple as possible. My car was "hit" more like sideswiped but it was in the front bumper. My neighbor was backing up into his driveway and he scraped my bumper and honestly it wasn't so bad but i obviously want it fixed. I honestly thought it'd be like a grand to have it repainted again so i got his insurance involved and the shop is charging his insurance a little over $5k.
For $5k, i better be getting oem m sport body kit!!! Statefarm will be depositing the $5k in my checking account in 2-3 days, now my question is can i just use that money and get new m sport bumpers myself and get it painted somewhere else? or is that fraud? this is my first accident going through insurance so don't really know how it works.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90joee View Post
I will try to make this as short and simple as possible. My car was "hit" more like sideswiped but it was in the front bumper. My neighbor was backing up into his driveway and he scraped my bumper and honestly it wasn't so bad but i obviously want it fixed. I honestly thought it'd be like a grand to have it repainted again so i got his insurance involved and the shop is charging his insurance a little over $5k.
For $5k, i better be getting oem m sport body kit!!! Statefarm will be depositing the $5k in my checking account in 2-3 days, now my question is can i just use that money and get new m sport bumpers myself and get it painted somewhere else? or is that fraud? this is my first accident going through insurance so don't really know how it works.
U can do w/e u want with it. Some insurance companies will put u and the body shop name on the check if the car is still not fully paid for. But if it is u can do w/e u want with that check.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Quote:
U can do w/e u want with it. Some insurance companies will put u and the body shop name on the check if the car is still not fully paid for. But if it is u can do w/e u want with that check.
If thats the case cool then..but i looked in the detailed estimate report and theyre claiming frame damage so that got me scared ill be going to see my car tomorrow in the shop to see whatsup
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If thats the case cool then..but i looked in the detailed estimate report and theyre claiming frame damage so that got me scared ill be going to see my car tomorrow in the shop to see whatsup
Any pic of the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any pic of the car?
Thats where i messed up i think i deleted it i cant seem to find anything but its just paint scratch so im scared if this shop further damaged my car for more money
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any pic of the car?
Thats where i messed up i think i deleted it i cant seem to find anything but its just paint scratch so im scared if this shop further damaged my car for more money
Hopefully not. I'm surprised that they didn't inspected it themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any pic of the car?
Statefarm did inspect it themselves, thats why im scared cause this is in the claims site online from the estimator
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any pic of the car?
Statefarm did inspect it themselves, thats why im scared cause this is in the claims site online from the estimator
Did they give u an estimate themselves?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any pic of the car?
Nope just dropped it off called statefarm telling them where the shop is and then sent out the estimator the day after
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:01 PM   #10
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any pic of the car?
Nope just dropped it off called statefarm telling them where the shop is and then sent out the estimator the day after
Ah ok. I'm guessing that's the shop rates to fix the car and all. What's the year and mileage? Options too?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #11
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any pic of the car?
Ah ok. I'm guessing that's the shop rates to fix the car and all. What's the year and mileage? Options too?
2011 335 xdrive coupe with 56k miles pretty much every option besides pdc and sport
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #12
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any pic of the car?
2011 335 xdrive coupe with 56k miles pretty much every option besides pdc and sport
Ahh nice. If i was a few years later they prolly would of totally it. But I'm glad u get the keep her. Hope she's back on the road soon
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #13
95 adjutant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i-Sport Suspension

Dude, it’s your money. I got in an accident and received a check from my insurance company for $1300. I decided the damage was minimal enough that I didn’t bother with it and deposit the money. That’s been over a year now. I had the adjuster give me the reports and they reported back to my insurance company and that was that. It’s your money man use it how you want
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 06:12 AM   #14
PsychoPhyr
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E70 X5M

The quote conversation on this page is out of control lol

That money is yours to do whatever you want with it.
lab_rat394.50
kbsmth24.50
tcphoto3523.50
Thorin117.50
      01-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #15
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Umm why would you think the damage is minimal if a professional shop and the insurance adjuster and the paperwork that you have says there is frame damage on your vehicle.

Unless the shop and the adjuster are somewhat scamming the system and want to charge 5k for 1k damage , or there was some mistake on the paperwork they sent you , you may actually have frame damage on the vehicle

As per keeping the money , well some shops may not allow you to take the car back just like that , I know some of them will charge you storage fee , or even a price for the inspecting the car . End of the day , they did some work by determining what was wrong with your car

Talk to the shop first and make sure what the damage really is , and how willing they are to release the car to you just like that

if everything checks out fine , take the money . I do not think the shop you took the car to is going to allow you to use the 5k they estimated for repair to upgrade your bumper. You probably have to take it to a different shop
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #16
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

As others have said, the money is yours and you can do what you want with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #17
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
Umm why would you think the damage is minimal if a professional shop and the insurance adjuster and the paperwork that you have says there is frame damage on your vehicle.

Unless the shop and the adjuster are somewhat scamming the system and want to charge 5k for 1k damage , or there was some mistake on the paperwork they sent you , you may actually have frame damage on the vehicle

As per keeping the money , well some shops may not allow you to take the car back just like that , I know some of them will charge you storage fee , or even a price for the inspecting the car . End of the day , they did some work by determining what was wrong with your car

Talk to the shop first and make sure what the damage really is , and how willing they are to release the car to you just like that

if everything checks out fine , take the money . I do not think the shop you took the car to is going to allow you to use the 5k they estimated for repair to upgrade your bumper. You probably have to take it to a different shop
Because i seen the damage myself it looks like someone got sand paper and just gave it a swipe on my bumper i had paint chip on my old e92 and got the whole bumper repainted for $600
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #18
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

This is the guys damage opposed to mine..it was just a scrape and the body shop took off my bumper and headlight to inflate the estimate so i guesss ill just be taking my money and just pay the shop for their service if they bill me
Attached Images

Last edited by E90joee; 01-12-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #19
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is the guys damage opposed to mine..it was just a scrape and the body shop took off my bumper and headlight to inflate the estimate so i guesss ill just be taking my money and just pay the shop for their service if they bill me
I'm assuming the headlight and bumper is good? What about the fender
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #20
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm assuming the headlight and bumper is good? What about the fender
Yea like thr guys damage is the same on my car its a scrape from the cars rubbing eachother..no dents just paint work no headlight damage but i reallt didnt inspect the car i just drove by on my way to work im off tomorrow so ill be inspecting it tomorrow more
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #21
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
That's the best idea. Unless the insurance company specifies the repair shop's name on the check ... you're free to do with it as you wish. This is a big reason why you see so many damaged cars on the roads ... the owners decided they'd rather keep the money and live with the damage, as there's lots of drivers who really don't care about their cars.

Just pay the repair shop for whatever labor they're entitled to and do what you wish. You'll likely get a bit of guff from the neighbor who scraped you car ... but eff it ... if it wasn't for them, you wouldn't have to go through this hasle anyways.

Keep us posted with updated pics after the mods are done.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #22
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
Quote:
That's the best idea. Unless the insurance company specifies the repair shop's name on the check ... you're free to do with it as you wish. This is a big reason why you see so many damaged cars on the roads ... the owners decided they'd rather keep the money and live with the damage, as there's lots of drivers who really don't care about their cars.

Just pay the repair shop for whatever labor they're entitled to and do what you wish. You'll likely get a bit of guff from the neighbor who scraped you car ... but eff it ... if it wasn't for them, you wouldn't have to go through this hasle anyways.

Keep us posted with updated pics after the mods are done.
Yea i spoke to statefarm already stating i want the car towed to my house and they said thats fine but the shop wants to charge me about a grand because they took about 4/5 hrs on taking off the parts but well see what happens they told me to call back at 12 to speak to the owner
Appreciate 0